Merrill Lynch Registered Client Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Merrill Lynch Registered Client Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jan 15, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Received call from recruiter who scheduled interview for me. When to the interview and it was very conversational and casual. The team leaders made me feel at ease and comfortable with the environment.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Merrill Lynch

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Columbus, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a team of 3 and I sat in the conference room. The meeting took about 1 hour and 15 minutes. They went through some scenarios and asked questions on how I would handle the situation with clients.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions why do I want to leave a company after 15 years and why Merrill? I was asked what I would like to do and they were very respectful with my answer.   Answer Question

Registered Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Very long drawn out process. Brief phone screen by recruiter, then interviewed by FA at the local branch, then a few months later interviewed by 2 other head client associates at regional branch. They had several pages of questions to ask and took notes on my responses. Was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What do you do to multi-task? What could you bring to the company? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why are you looking for a new job? What don't you like about your old job/ old boss?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Mount Laurel, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

I had the worst interview experience ever. I hope no one has to experience what I had to go through. I applied in August of 2016 and had a phone interview with a recruiter. The interview went well and the recruiter scheduled an interview with the hiring manager in Mount Laurel, NJ. The hiring manager liked me and sent me to Wilmington, Delaware to interview for the position. I was interviewed in a crowded room of 6 people in a circle. I didn't know who to look at when I was answering the questions and each of them asked me a question. It was intimidating and very unprofessional to be interviewed by 6 people in one room. Of course, I was not hired for the position. I followed up with the hiring manager, who liked me, multiple times, and after the third time, she sent me an email stating that my resume has been sent to another team. The O'Reilly and Little team contacted me the next day for an interview. I was interviewed by the financial advisor and the senior client associate. They asked me only two questions and they did most of the talking. The interview lasted an hour in a half. They liked me and scheduled a meeting with the director. I met with the senior vice president and instantly made a connection and met with the director. I filled out paperwork for a preliminary background check and the director stated, "Lets get this kid licensed." Several weeks go by and I don't hear anything, so I follow up. In late October, the financial advisor calls me back stating that he wants me on the team and human resources is holding everything up. He insured me that he wasn't wasting my time and I wouldn't have to worry about anything. More weeks go by. I follow up again to see what is going on. The financial advisor scheduled a day and time for a debriefing call. The day arrived and he never called me. I email him to ask about a good time to talk. He emails me back without an apology for not calling me on the scheduled time, and wants me to come back into the office again to chat. I am thinking I was going to sign a contract. In December, I meet with the financial advisor and the senior client associate again and they offer me a position I didn't apply for: Financial Advisor in Training. I see that they hired a Client Associate without letting me know and stating that there was a hiring freeze for November and December. I was surprised they were offering me this position because we established the fact that I was not a sales person and the Client Associate position was a better fit. When they described the position, they just stated that I would be bringing in revenue, but didn't explain how. The financial advisor also said that if the director offered me a salary lower than what he was offering to just accept it. I asked him about a written contract, and he acted like it wasn't important and the director just gives you a piece of paper to sign. Since I was surprised, I didn't ask many questions. Furthermore, the financial advisor did not want me to have a beard even though the senior client associate had one. Since they were offering me the position, I informed them that I was getting married and needed days off. Instead of saying congratulations, they responded, "Oh you are getting married. Ok." After the meeting, the financial advisor told me to think about it and that the director would be calling me. Over the weekend, I felt I needed to ask more questions. I called the following week, but the financial advisor was not available so I asked my questions to the senior client associate. I wanted to know the responsibilities and expectations for the position and I needed everything written out in a contract: salary, bonus, sponsorship of licenses, etc. That afternoon, the financial advisor emails me back that they are not interested in hiring me. After driving up from Cape May, NJ to Mount Laurel, NJ 4 times, using all my vacation days, and following up multiple times, they didn't offer me the position. I have no idea what set them off if it was asking questions about the contract or getting married. I wanted an explanation from the financial advisor but he refused to call me. They wasted 3 months of my time and led me on thinking I was going to get the position. I felt lied to, cheated, and used. Imagine how he mistreats his clients and screws them over. Bank of America (Merrill Lynch) has severe communication and organizational problems and I would not want to work for a company that screws people over for a living.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied for the job at the middle of March 2016, received a call mid-May from an out-of-state recruiter asking if I was interested in coming in for an interview. Accepted interview appointment, was called about an hour later saying that we had to reschedule because one of the interviewers was out of town that day. Arrived about 10 mins early for the interview, didn't get taken back until 25 after the time it was supposed to start. Interview lasted maybe 20-30 minutes. Overall a huge waste of time because the interviewers seemed to be less than interested to be there. Especially after I had mentioned that I wanted to pursue a masters degree. I think they may have only wanted someone who would be content staying in an assistant position for the duration of their career.

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (Overland Park, KS) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter 8 days after i applied online - she said she was forwarding my resume to the hiring manager. Later that day I received a call from the Client Relationship Manager who asked a few questions about my experience and we scheduled an interview with her and the other CRM the following week. The office was big and nice - the interview was in a conference room and lasted about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Registered Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

Over the phone interview with recruiter that asked personality questions and past experience. Following interview I met with a CRM (client relationship manager). Within a few days I met with individual FA's to see if I was a fit for their team.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about yourself. Went over my resume and asked about my background. Client relationship questions.. Tell me a time when....   1 Answer

Registered Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

The hiring interview was pretty reasonable - given that I have already worked in this position previously. I spoke to the client relationship manager first, over the phone. I was told to wait while the teams looking for a CA reviewed my resume. I was contacted by one team over the phone, and had an hour conversation discussing things I have done in the past. They stressed organizational skills as the top desired quality in a CA. I gave examples how I've helped my other team be organized in the past. After the conversation, two days later, the team contacted me and said they like me. I met them in person, and sealed the deal.

Interview Questions

• What my goals are for the next 5 years and what I have done in my role as a Client Associate at a different location.   1 Answer

Registered Client Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and was scheduled for an interview before I had even put in an application online. I had three interviews in quick succession (branch manager, the department supervisor, and then the team you will be joining). After that you go through the background check, finger printing, etc. From start to offer letter the whole process took about a week.

The first interview is just a "get to know each other" thing. No tough questions, just a test of chemistry and a conversation to make sure you speak intelligently and will fit in with the work atmosphere. Second interview was a little more traditional, but still conversational. Third interview was very typical traditional "where do you want to be in 5 years" type of stuff.

BTW, I noticed on this site that when it comes to ML you are either hired immediately or you're SOL. If you're waiting more than two weeks to hear anything I'd move on.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you let a client down and how you handled the situation.   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Merrill Lynch (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Took over several months. First apply online, second interview with relationship managers, third interview with multiple financial advisors. Each advisor runs their own book of business. Each advisor also does business differently. My suggestion is to not hop on the first offer you see.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer is firm. I attempted multiple times to negotiate but original offer stands.