Michaels Stores Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.6

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Troy, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

Worst company I have ever dealt with! I applied for assistant store manager and got a call back about a week after doing so. The store manager spoke with me for a few minutes before saying she'd love to meet me in person. We set up a time the following week. When I came in for the interview, I spoke with a different woman (the current ASM). She told me that the ASM position was taken but that I would definitely be a good candidate for the Operations Manager position. I was surprised, but willing to take this different position. The interview was pretty standard. It went well enough that the ASM told me I should definitely put in my two weeks notice, so I did. A few days later, I got a call from the store manager and she told me that she would love to have me on board, I just need to finish the background check. Fast forward another week, the background check clears and I get a call back. The store manager tells me that all the management positions have been filled; now they're just looking for cashiers. They asked me to put in my two weeks from my FULL TIME MANAGEMENT position for cashiering? Bait-and-switch company -- absolutely deplorable.

Interview Questions

• Why would you make a good choice for this position? What do you have that other candidates don't have?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Michaels Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Virginia Beach, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

I went through 3 different interviews (in person) at the local store. I met with the manager, another assistant manager and then the regional manager. I was pretty much told the third meeting with the regional manager was a formality and I was a perfect fit for the job. I completed the third interview and was never contacted again at all. Very unprofessional process.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (San Antonio, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I was approached by the company recruiter. Interviewed with that person for a week on and off. Interviewed with District Manager, then one of the acting Store Manager. Also interviewed with Regional HR boss along with the RVP before getting hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None, Told them what i wanted for salary and they agreed.

Anonymous Employee in Mission Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Mission Viejo, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

easy discussed business opportunities for company, direction, daily workings of stores, the structure within the store . Company culture and focus on the customer, speed of checkout. how much profit is made in frame shop and the importance of it to company.

Interview Questions

• what is good customer service   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Pretty quick...talked to current dm new dm n the vp of the zone as well as two hr. Gave me some money to move but it wasn't enough..they did pay for my u haul which was nice. Was told the store was trending up...but the previous store manager did some shady stuff so we aren't going to bonus this year

Anonymous Employee in Oregon City, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Oregon City, OR) in August 2014.

Interview

First you have to apply online, even as a current employee. You must take a personality review. Then you interview with the Store Manager. Then you interview with the District Manager. Then you interview with 2 human resource managers. Then the VP of the Zone.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

Very Pleasant ,interesting, however hiring DM left company shortly after and then round robin of DM's started. Very confusing as each one had their priorities. Not very consistent, many changes.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. They have a set of questions they ask,standard cookie cutter, and unless DM decides to have a real conversation, it would be difficult to assess actual abilities.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

Interview process went very well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

I submitted an on-line application... After a few weeks I received an e-mail requesting a phone interview . The phone interview took place and they asked me to submit by resume by a certain date. I did so well within that time frame and sent a voicemail stating that it had been sent as I instructed. I never received a response to the voicemail nor the e-mail I sent. EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!! I was stunned at MICHAELS...

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my managerial experiences and my role in my current job which includes management experience.   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michaels Stores in August 2012.

Interview

I went through 2 phone interviews with HR. I was then set up with District Manager for formal interview. I was then waiting on my Background check . Entire process took 3 weeks before I was offerered a position.

Interview Questions

• Very simple interview. Standard questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Three weeks then I was offered position where I traveled to another state to train for 5 weeks. I was then flown to Dallas Tx for 5 days then placed in my store.