Michaels Stores Certified Custom Framer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Michaels Stores Certified Custom Framer Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

1.9

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

Quick face to face process that happened after I filled out and did a personality test online. It was submitted with my application, I found out later my scores qualified me for framing as opposed to other positions within the store

Interview Questions

• what would you do if custom art piece ripped?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Michaels Stores

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Hamilton, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

Very quick but professional; ended up placing me in a different department than I had originally applied for; assessed my skill level and placed me appropriately; laid-back atmosphere; great place to work

Interview Questions

• Would you have difficulty selling product to customers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy; I was offered better pay; didn't have to ask for it

Anonymous Employee in Woodhaven, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Woodhaven, MI).

Interview

Interview process was quite easy, just a sit down with the framing manager where she asked me a few questions. I brought in some examples of mat boards that I had cut previously and that seemed to help. Unfortunately I cannot remember specific interview questions, but I do remember them asking questions about my creativity and if I enjoyed creative hobbies so that I could assist customers in all areas of the store. I think it was also helpful that I was studying photography at the time so I had some design knowledge and experience in printing to help with the framing process.

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as this was just a part time job that I took during college so I was making a little over minimum wage.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Tampa, FL).

Interview

The interviewers were friendly. The interview was casual, but professional. I have lots of fine art experience. I showed up early, and spoke with the store assistant manager as well as the framing manager.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable with design, especially color theory?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Blaine, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online, and received a call a few days later. Set up a time for an interview. Showed up, very simple questions, pertaining to the job. They described what the job entailed, and asked if I felt comfortable lifting large frames/boxes.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience with framing or matting art?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Manchester, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

Meet with a Manager - the store i applied for wasn't open yet,so it was at a different store. Review of my background and people skills --- background from my application and communication skills via conversation and questions with reviewer.

Interview Questions

• The one question that I recall - its not the exact wording-- but it was about how would I complete a certain task? what did I think of someone who did the same task differently?   1 Answer

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

The online application was the biggest headache, because it takes easily over an hour to complete. I was called the next day, and asked if I could come in later that afternoon for an interview, which I was able to do. I was offered the position, pending a background check, which when it cleared the next day a formal offer was approved and I started a few days later. I believe my background in fine art, high end sales, and interior design were highly desired for the position.

Interview Questions

• If I had a flexible schedule, and when I could start.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered more than what framers start at, which I believe was dependent upon my talents and past work experience.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

A couple weeks after I applied they contacted me for an interview. I came in a few minutes early and waited another 25. The interview lasted less than five minutes and neither of the two interviewers asked me another question beyond "so tell us a little bit about yourself".

Apparently the fact that I came in on time and seemed willing and responsible was enough for them, they didn't really need to hear much more. It seemed that they really just want someone who shows up, everything else can be taught.

Certified Custom Framer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Michaels Stores.

Interview

I was contacted within 24 hours of my online job submission regarding an interview, which was set for the next week. After that, and a fairly rigorous interview, I was notified 72 hours or so later, after my background check came through clean, that I was being offered a position. There was a little haggling regarding compensation (which was not brought up at the interview at all) but once offered a position, I was to start I think two weeks later. Most of the questions regarded my past retail experience, my fine arts degree and experience and my availability. It was made known that hours may be a little sparse in my department for a bit but that I should be able to pick them up as a floor associate if wanted and that during holiday times, there were probably more hours available/expected.

Interview Questions

• Probably about where I saw myself fitting in with the company and my long term goals, as honestly I wanted the job as a stop gap until I found my next salaried position in my field and the idea of being stuck as a career retailer was horrifying to me, however I felt if I didn't mentally assume the role of career retailer, I may not be offered the part time job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated a higher starting salary, which took three back and forths. I was nickle and dimed more or less and I had plenty of past experience, but I also knew once I agreed to a starting salary I would never see a raise, ever. It all took place over one phonecall and I could tell there was great reluctance. I could have possibly pushed a little harder but once you're getting offers of maybe a quarter higher and "I'm not even sure I can do that" you know to stop pushing your luck too much more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Beachwood, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was called for an interview three days later. The store manager asked me one question and then talked about the history of Michaels Stores and what the position would entail. He didn't turn his headset off so throughout the interview he would stop talking or interrupt me to answer a question on the headset. He asked if I would be able to start the following week and said I would hear from him within three days.

The entire process took about ten minutes. The manager seemed incredibly cocky, from his refusal to turn the headset off to his gushing about how great his store was. He often talked over me or seemed like he wasn't really listening.

Interview Questions

• The only question I was asked was why I wanted to work at Michaels.   Answer Question

I assumed I had gotten the job when he asked if I could start the next week. After a week with no call, I tried contacting him and could not get a hold of him. About a month later I received a call offering me the job, but I had decided it was not an environment I wanted to work in.