Michaels Stores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

1.9

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Fort Worth, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

You have to turn in a letter of interest along with a resume. Then you are at some point given an interview time. I was at work when I was told that my interview would be the next morning. When I gave my letter of interest I was told nothing. About a week before the interview even though I did not know the exact date the manager handed me some papers and said to read them. That was it. I did ask another manager what I should know because there was nothing in the papers I was given to let me know how to prepare for the interview. The papers only showed what modules you would be learning when hired.

Interview Questions

• The first question was "If you are not hired for this position will you quit?"   2 Answers

Creative Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Irving, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

Initially sent my resume to a Micheal's Recruiter. She responded and sent me a questionnaire on personality
    and experience. My info was forwarded to a creative manager and a phone interview was arranged. This manager reviewed my work samples and asked me about my work experience and work personality. This manager seemed like me enough to have me come in for a personal interview. When that was arranged, it
    was a full day schedule. I was asked to complete a test which would determine my business experience, a lot of this did not apply to me because it was geared more for marketing, finance, management, etc... I also presented my portfolio to at least five members of management and a HR representative. One of the members of management I felt was definitely try to unravel me and trip me up. I did not hear anything after that interview for two months. I was then told I was not selected. I did interview again by phone in 2010. I also spent a week creating holiday designs for the manager I was to speak with. She said my work would not have fit for their product but I do feel she would not have interview me If she did not like what I had presented to her. This phone interview was based more on merchandising in the store. I have to say I worked very hard to get this position. I would have been a very dedicated employee and felt that the questions about merchandising in the store were not appropriate for the position I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• I was given a test of 90 questions or more. This was a test more about finance management, marketing, logistics, etc... I was not applying for any of these positions.   1 Answer
    • How would I display an aisle in the store to drive sales.   1 Answer

Retail Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores in May 2010.

Interview

Michaels is a nice company who wants to pick the very best employees so they give a battery of very hard intelligence tests, integrity questionaires, skills matches, phone interviews from recruiters, first interviews with store managers and second interviews with DM's, so be prepared for the longest ordeal you have ever gone through just for a job that pays a few bucks over min wage.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oregon City, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Oregon City, OR) in August 2014.

Interview

First you have to apply online, even as a current employee. You must take a personality review. Then you interview with the Store Manager. Then you interview with the District Manager. Then you interview with 2 human resource managers. Then the VP of the Zone.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Irving, TX).

Interview

chain of executives from various functional areas flowed into my interview room for 6+ hours. they represented VPs and directors from many functional departments. Some were more prepared than others but all seemed to take genuine interest in the process

Interview Questions

• they all wanted to know what I could do for Michaels, how my background fit what they were looking for   Answer Question

Negotiation

salary to some extent, vacation time,relocation assistance

Senior Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Irving, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I interviewed over the phone with my soon to be manager. The following week I had a half day 5 hour marathon interview process. I met with 5 people 1 on 1. Each person had 1 hour each, though most ended early. Everyone had their own process or questions they would answer. Some were more conversational while others were more focused on testing my skill set. Everyone was nice, but it was a long day.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to complete several case studies and math problems. Some gave me what if questions regarding how I would deal with common issues that could arise.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Three phone interviews, people answers, then two in person interviews, reference checks and then an offer. Met with two dm's and zhrd and hr generalist Lot's of good information, longevity and positive feelings.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle or have handled an upset customer?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Irving, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

The internal recruiter was very persistent about me coming in for an interview, but I had a difficult time getting any feedback or follow-up from her after the interview.
    The people I interview with were friendly.
    Lots of technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate others.   1 Answer

Intake Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michaels Stores (Irving, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Interviewer was strangely reminiscent of an old school marm. Very stiff and overly formal. Seemed to ask many basic questions which my resume already answered instead of digging in deeper to get to know me a little.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you can work a strict 8-5 schedule. (Company offering modified flex schedule). Asked questions if I had certain experience which I did as they were on my resume. I was just a little confused by that. Why not ask me other things than what is already known?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. You took offer or refused offer. That's it.

Seasonal Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

Interview

This was a group interview. It was scheduled for 11:00, but for some reason the interviewer started 15 minutes early and treated on time arrivals as though they were holding her up. We were, also asked detailed questions involving company policies we had no way of answering. We made our best answers, only to be repeatedly told, "that's not store policy". After the third such question, the interviewer remarked that she didn't shop at Joann's, only Michaels.

Interview Questions

• The oddest question was, "What would you do if a customer handed you a $50 or $100 for a $3-$5 purchase? We expect you to show some common sense here,"   1 Answer