MicroStrategy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MicroStrategy Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MicroStrategy.

Interview

* I did not go through the full process. Though I felt it was still important to let anyone know what the first few steps were like.

Was contacted by a recruiter regarding this opportunity to work with node and react. Then I did the following:

1. 45 minute HackerrankX test with one small coding exercise and 19 trivia questions (multiple choice)
    2. 30 minute interview with their tech lead.
    3. ...

Keep in mind that even if you have 5+ years of experience, they will give you all the textbook questions from college (yes, recall all the sorting algorithms you may not have used on a daily basis).

Though I did not get a hunch that the results from the test mattered. I spoke with one of their tech leads over the phone, explained the usual "tell me about yourself", then get grilled with technical questions with 3 minutes to ask him about the company.

My overall impression was that you'll end up being a code monkey when you get hired there. More disheartening that I did not feel excited about what they're doing there after approximately 1.5 hours of technical grilling. We mutually agreed that this wasn't going to work out.

Tech Support Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. 1 screening phone interview, 1 technical phone interview, and 1 on site interview with a manager and director.

After the 3rd interview, they gave me a benefit packet, and a tour around the company. They also asked how soon I can start, and my salary range, etc. Every interview was positive. and with everything that they asked for and gave me after the 3rd interview, I was sure I got the job. But 4 days later, they decided to not offer; which was very misleading....

Candidate must complete 4 online assessment before the on site interview. Beware, these assessment does NOT show you your score. Must also bring a presentation. For such a small entry level job, they make candidates goes through a lot. They make you feel like you for sure got the job and ends up just Not offering it

Interview Questions

• 3 brain teaser questions total through the whole process   Answer Question

Software Engineer (.NET) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MicroStrategy in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through the recruiter and was chosen for a first round interview cycle which includes a coding test to be taken within 48 hours of receipt of the e-mail from MicroStrategy and a scheduled phone interview.

On the day of my scheduled phone interview they had to reschedule due to a conflict. On the rescheduled day, MicroStrategy failed to call at the appointed time. Attempts from me to reach MicroStrategy on the day of the scheduled interview were not answered. This was on a Friday. Received an e-mail late Monday evening that I had not received the position - no explanation or apology about missing the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Due to NDA can't release specific questions of the coding test. There was one coding question and nineteen multiple choice questions about data structures, object oriented programming, Big(O), and algorithms and their performance. Definitely felt the 45 minute time limit was too short, especially compared to other coding tests I've taken in the past.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

2 Phone interviews, 1 background 1 technical. Then the next round is 4 in person interviews about a previous project you worked on, analytical problems, programming/algorithms, and a career/behavioral interview. Make sure you know your data structures and algorithms and also practice some brain teasers. I feel like the brain teasers are unnecessary for interviews but whatever.

Interview Questions

• Given a scale and an object that can way between 1 to 40 grams. What is the minimum number of counter weights that you can buy to weigh anything in the range of 1 to 40.   4 Answers

OEM Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (San Jose, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I worked for several companies (4) which ultimately rolled up into one well-known corporation. I believe my resume broke them out separately while LinkedIn just mentioned the mega-corp. Anyway, she prodded me about length of time at each company. The complete irony was her own work history was roughly the same 2 years or less for the same time period. Total hypocrite. Anyway, a good indicator of the type company this is. In the sales world you hear about Oracle and MicroTragedy as being painful companies to work for and apparently it is true. It only took a screening call to determine I would not want to work there.

Interview Questions

• What were your W2 for last 3 years, why did you leave, tell me about your biggest deal, what is your average deal size.   1 Answer

Associate Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Blacksburg, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was on-campus. I got the interview the day after the Career Fair. It was a one on one interview consisting of basic behavioral questions. Also, he asked a riddle-analytical question at the end.

Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

The principal on the team told me that there would be a rigid testing process if I was hired to see if you can learn about the tools and products quickly.

Interview Questions

• In addition to standard interview questions, he asked me very personal questions that made me feel very uncomfortable. His tone was very authoritative and condescending.   1 Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process started with a phone screen with a recruiter, followed by another phone screen with a software engineer. These were largely about background, though the second interview involved a straightforward question about using a data structure to store a music player queue. After the phone screens, they invited me to take a battery of (relatively easy) assessments, before inviting me over to Tysons for an interview.

The Tysons interview consisted of a project demo, a technical interview, a HR interview and another test, this time in HackerRank and focused on software engineering concepts. The interview concluded with them inviting us up to the executive floor to have lunch with a number of employees. So far, so good.

After waiting around for a while, I received a call from the recruiter to discuss my immigration status. She told me that they would like to make me an offer, but the fact that I don't have a CS degree would pose a problem for my future H-1B application, and therefore they will not make the offer, unless I could meet a few conditions (obtaining eligibility for the F-1 OPT STEM extension). After going through a lot of trouble to satisfy the requirements, the issue got caught up with the immigration department and ultimately I received a negative reply despite earlier promises. If you're an unconventional aspiring engineer, I wouldn't recommend interviewing here.

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MicroStrategy.

Interview

Call with internal recruiter. It was a really negative call and an absolute waste of time for two adult professionals. I found the call to be negative and a complete turn off. As someone who is currently evaluating this product as a buyer and reached out due to interest - I highly doubt I will look further if this is the type of interaction a person has with this firm.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you had success?   1 Answer
    • Q: They asked about turnover and multiple roles   3 Answers
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Was contacted via email by a recruiting coordinator, who set up a phone interview with a recruiter. After that, I had a lengthy phone interview with an executive, and was selected to interview in person after a series of online competency assessments. The in-person interviews took about 4 hours with 3 different interviewers, as well as time with the recruiter. I wasn't overly impressed with the planning or flow - everything seemed a bit haphazard. In addition, one executive seemed to be interviewing me for a different job than the other two. I had heard some negative assessments of MicroStrategy prior to the interview process, but gave them the benefit of the doubt when agreeing to interview for the position. However, I think most of the observations are generally accurate in that the environment seems a bit chaotic and disjointed, and the negative view of the CEO perceived by the public is generally shared by the employees. That this was obvious to me in an interview is a bit of a red flag.

After the in-person interviews, I didn't hear from the recruiter for over a week and a half, though I did follow-up with him on my end. When he did eventually reach out to me, he informed me that they end up deciding to "downgrade" the position and promote someone within. This didn't bother me that much in all honestly, because I had already accepted another offer and wouldn't have considered one from MicroStrategy had it been given. Seems like a good product, but poorly managed.