Microsoft Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 3, 2017

3.4

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

There were two other candidates also present for interviews. The receptionist greeted us and we waited in the waiting area for around 20-30 minutes.
We were taken into separate breakout rooms, and interviewed one-on-one with three executives (Sales). Each interview lasted about 30 minutes, but all three asked around the same questions. After 1.5 hours of interviewing, we were free to leave.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft in May 2017.

Interview

Initial phone call with recruiter after she found me on LinkedIn. Another call with recruiter to discuss interview process. Group call with other candidates and recruiter to discuss how the main interviews would go. Next, the interview day is 45 min with one senior manager, then another 45 min session with another couple guys where you run a mock meeting based on materials you receive the day before. Feedback on interview within a week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were forced to overcome a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Burlington, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Brief phone screen by Recruiter. Arranged on-site interview via email with third party. On-site interview with 4 people (4 hours). Brief phone inteview with GM/VP. Met with hiring manager and 2 peers to hiring manager and 1 peer for the position. Most questions were not difficult to answer.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of how you did this...
      Take me through your background and what it would be applicable to this position   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Weeks or several rounds of interviews as expected, be yourself, your personality counts! Synergy, passion, brand ambassador are all key terms to be aware of. No one wants a know it all, they teach you a lot no matter what your position is. Ongoing training and testing is part of everyone's role. Team Team Team - make that your mantra if it isn't already.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Hiring process was long but fair. They asked great questions and the follow-up was fantastic. The interviewers were very nice and knowledgable. It was an overall great experience. There is a ton of preparation needed if you want to have an effective interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the Sales Process for you?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

If you make it to the finals process; you can expect a series of interviews; typically the hiring manager will have 3-4 candidates in the loop. You can expect to have 3-4 interviews during the session. (Some could be remote via Lync conference). The goals of the interview team will be to determine if they have a "hire". Once the determination is made the team will individually stack rack the candidates and see if they can determine consensus. It is typically the hiring managers final decision, unless the GM has an active interest in the position.

Interview Questions

• Who is Microsoft biggest competitor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negotiation...

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

A series of rigorous interviews, that were used to determine whether an individual could sell themselves and their attributes to a oanel of seasoned account executive managers. 4 in-person interviews with behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• What is one of your favorite microsoft products   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Quick after shortlisted. Hiring mgr/team put in a lot of work to put together the onsite interview. All interviewers were prepared and addressed specific areas of the role. Friendly people and put me at ease immediately. Hiring mgr and recruiter spent time preparing me for the day.

Interview Questions

• The interview which isn't on the agenda and not prep'd for. You get there only if you get the thumbs up from all the previous interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA) in February 2011.

Interview

Very formal process here:
    After a resume has been found suitable, External or Internal, the Primary or Secondary Recruiter completes a HR screen and assesses suitability and validity of the resume for immediate or future open positions and communicates accordingly with the candidates. The next logical step could be a resume review by the sales interviewers or hiring managers for external candidates and an informational interview for internal candidates.

When a resume is found suitable the recruiting coordinator initiates the interview schedules by sending the resumes hiring manager or to a designated interviewer as agreed with the hiring manager. The recruiting coordinator usually is in phone conversation with the candidate to verify a good fit and interest in the position.

On completion of at least 3 rounds of in-person interviews with the surround sales team, one technical and at least two sales personnel will interview the candidate individually. Based on a positive feedback which confirms the candidate's expertise in the skills and competencies as described in the job description, the recruiting coordinator typically schedules a in-person meeting with the hiring manager.

The hiring manager reviews the feedback of the previous interviews, submitted electronically, and interviews the candidate to make a hire or no hire decision from a position and role perspective. He / She would also assess the candidate's fitment to the group, the specific assignment that the candidate is being interviewed for and provide recommendations. After the hiring manager has found a candidate suitable an “As Appropriate” (AA) interviewer interviews the candidate for long term fitment to Microsoft.

If the candidate is selected by the AA interviewer, he/she along with the hiring manager and the Senior Recruiter together discuss the specific details of the offer and start the offer process.

On completion or termination of the interview loop when a candidate is hired or not hired the recruiting coordinator updates the feedback tracking tool with the final updates the offer details or dis-positioning details of the candidates and closes the interview process formally and sends appropriate communication to the candidate and other involved in the process.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions are targeted at past behavior. These types of questions
      provide an opportunity for the interviewer to get actual, concrete examples
      from past experiences. The basic premise is that a candidate's past
      behavior/performance is a good predictor of future behavior/performance.

Hypothetical questions are targeted at how a candidate would act in a
      future-oriented and realistic business situation.

Cross Boundary Collaboration is the practice of effectively working with
      individuals and organizations outside of one’s immediate work area or span
      of control. People who exhibit this competency create increased benefits and
      successes through collaborating and sharing ideas and resources.

Impact and Influence is the ability to generate support from others to
      achieve the desired business outcomes. It also involves taking advantage of
      opportunities to make a difference and have an impact. People who exhibit
      this competency apply it in a planned and strategic way — never randomly.
      They motivate people to want to follow them even when they don't have to.

Interpersonal Awareness is the desire to understand other people. It is the
      ability to accurately hear and understand others’ spoken and unspoken or
      partly expressed thoughts, feelings, and concerns. People who exhibit this
      competency understand the reasons for another’s behavior, even when that
      behavior is subtle or complex.

Business Acumen is understanding how a company operates, financially and
      strategically, within an industry. People who exhibit this competency
      recognize the implications of external market changes for internal systems
      and recommend possible courses of action. They are adept at analyzing key
      business drivers, and they build personal credibility based on business
      knowledge.

People Acumen is the insight about and perspective on human behavior that
      make it possible to identify, acquire, develop, and retain top talent that
      will enhance organizational performance.

Systems Thinking. People who demonstrate this competency identify the root causes of problems through an expanded, holistic view instead of looking at smaller, discrete
      parts or symptoms in isolation. They take into account the full range of
      interactions among all parts of an issue or challenge.

Trusted Advisor is who the person, the client, or peer consults for
      reflective thinking and insight. People who exhibit this competency have a
      unique perspective on people systems issues. They guide others' thinking,
      facilitate the resolution of difficult issues, and help clients and peers to
      fully develop their own capabilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation was informal, over the phone is discussing the entire compensation plan to include, base salary, commission of RBI sales, and of a CBI bonus. I also negotiated a stock ‘grant” which was vested over five years and a cash bonus vested over two years. Over a casual conversation, the Manager will verify the offer verbally before he places it in the system so that it will be approved by Corp, then set to you for approval via email. You can obviously understand that the Manager will want to get a verbal from you before this process so it speeds everything up.

In an overall sales position total obtainment, there is a standard base salary, which determines the level between L-59 to L-65. They may use letters in this case which would translate to the actual ‘level’. Then there is the RBI and CBI bonus. The RBI and CBI bonus, for sales plans, 76% of your base salary. In this 76% equation, RBI is the sales bonus for actually revenue sold and is 51% of the total 76% equation. There are kickers after you reach OTE, but doesn’t effect CBI. The CBI bonus is the ‘political and tenure bonus’ and is determined, by management, on how well you did with customer satisfaction, internal obligations and essentially, your manager discretion. CBI is multi-faceted combination of a stock bonus, cash bonus and potential pay raise. With all this combined, you acquire OTE, if you make 100% of your committed quota. For US Defense sales with US National Security Clearances, there is a added 22-26% security bonus.

Please keep in mind several important factors in OTE. It’s deceptive, and the Manager knows this, but won’t disclose… First off, any stock grant you receive during the negotiation or at the end of year review (which happens in Sept) will be amortized over a five-year period, with the first vesting occurring in the future year. You will not se the first vested allocation for one year, so deduct that from your first years total comp. Secondly, CBI is a witching game and determined by a socialist ranking game. The rankings and the EOY are 1-5, with 1 being top performer and 5 being your on a ‘plan’. Only 10% of the managers DR’s can allocate a 1 rating, and 20% to 2, and 30% to 3. The ranking determines a tiered level of CBI bonus allocated, and even this is determined by your manager. For example, you could be a ranking of 3, but get a low allocation or mixture of stock, cash and raise. For a serious and real example of this… read Vanity Fairs article in the “downfall of Microsoft innovation”. I lived through it as a top performer, and it’s a political mess that senior ‘C’ level exec’s designed to remove the waste… but didn’t calculate political capital between the managers . SO in ending, don’t believe the OTE total comp package… just deduct or expect a very low allocation your first year.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

usually 4 to 5 people at least for the entire interview loop. anyone of them give you a thumbs down and you are out. most roles are very specific to Microsoft, so it can be difficult for outsider in knowing the mentality of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• your plan in growing these accounts for upcoming FY. How do you move these customer to the cloud.   Answer Question