Microsoft Interview Questions in Bellevue, WA | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 2, 2017

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a referral sent in by a friend and had a phone screen with the manager (mostly questions about the team and my past experience, followed by a quick coding question). Followed by about a month of inactivity and then was brought in to an onsite with 4 people (3 engineers, 1 manager) and a lunch at the cafeteria. Each round involved talking about personal projects and experience, followed by a technical question and a demo of the team's product in several cases. Surprised by a 5th interviewer pop up at the end who seemed unaware of me and was on his phone and walked off in the middle to get tea. Maybe this was a test to see how I would respond? Was called a couple days later with a negotiable offer, only minor problems with difficulty getting hold of the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Given 4 coins of values 1, 5, 10, and 20, find all the combinations of coins that can add up to K.   1 Answer
    • Create a button menu using Javascript.   Answer Question
    • Find ways to insert data collection in Javascript events.   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list, put all the odd elements in lexicographical order list in front of the even elements in lexicographical order in place.   Answer Question
    • Design chess using OOP.   Answer Question

Channel Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I thought the whole process was very smooth and was clearly defined ahead of time. The recruiter was very helpful making sure I was prepared for the process. The actual series of interviews was very rigorous, but allowed me to learn about the team, culture, and expectations in order to make an informed decision.

Interview Questions

• Series of behavioral questions to see how I would approach different problems.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

First interview was a on-campus screening in my university. It was about ~45 minutes in length and was asked 2 behavioral questions and 1 technical. In this interview you're asked which Microsoft teams you're interested in joining, which will later be reflective in which team will interview you in the second round. After 2 weeks I got an email from an interviewer scheduler for an on-site interview at Microsoft's headquarters at Bellevue, Washington.
    The interviews, at least for my case, was 3 back-to-back interviews with engineers from the cloud&enterprise team. Interviews were each 1hr in length and they varied from technical questions, design questions, and behavioral questions.
    Overall was a good experience, they paid for the whole trip + sightseeing + food + uber!

Interview Questions

• Given a computer with small memory and a file that is large in size (assume greater than the size of the computer's memory), how would you sort this file (assume the file consists of numbers separated by a space)?   1 Answer

Production Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a small group interview, with four team members interviewing me. It was a position off campus, but still a sector of microsoft. They were nice and I went over my portfolio and they asked me questions about how I would handle certain situations. I was surprised I didn't get an offer because it was a nice experience and seemed to have gone well.

Senior Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter and applied that position online. Then we scheduled a phone screen in a week.
    In the phone interview, we went over my resume quickly and jumped to skill testing part very soon to solve an algorithm problem.
    The problem was kinda vague, asked for declaration, got an easy 'Yes' or 'No' as feedback.
    Not a very ideal interview experience.

Interview Questions

• You have an in-memory tree data structure. each node can have multiple children (can be more than 2). it's not search or balanced.
      Task: serialize it to a file so that you can deserialize it later with the same structure
      node values can be just any integers
      Answer Question

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

First I submitted a resume to the contracting company. I met a woman for coffee and we reviewed my qualifications and the job. Then she called later and told me I had the contract. That was it. Often, however, with Microsoft, you will have an informal interview face-to-face in which they ask general questions and see if there's a fit. I'd say that is about 50% of the time only. Often we just meet the client "cold" and get to work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your instructional design background.   1 Answer

SWE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

The process started with a conversation with an employee and alumni of my University at my Career fair. It was a fun conversation that was super casual. I enjoyed the discussion I had with him regarding my side projects and classes and things like that. The person I talked to specifically was pretty down the earth and very honest about his opinions of the company and the work he does, so that was a refreshing change from someone trying to drown me kool-aid. I was contacted about a week later regarding an on campus interview.

The on campus interview was, if I remember correctly, 20, maybe 30, minutes long. It was about 10 minutes of behavioral questions that was all pretty standard. Team experience, personal projects, a brief QA. Following from that, we did 1 technical question. The one I received was fairly basic and I communicated directly to the interviewer that I knew the answer immediately. From that he permitted me to write it in pythonic pseudo code for my solution. We then discussed why it was the best solution as well as other, worse solutions, to the problem. All in all a good experience. The interviewer seemed interested in me and treated me like someone actually suited to interview for the company. I received an invitation to interview on site the following week.

Scheduling my onsite was a bit of a pain and from what I understand from my friends, they had similar experiences. The communication with the recruiting manager was great, but because of how responsibilities are tossed around at MSFT, it took a long time for my flight and other things to get confirmed and even when I was told I would be receiving the information on them, I never received them. If you aren't paranoid like I am, then this isn't much of a big deal.

Interview Questions

• Lets say you have a distributed system that you're running some task over, so a build process, now each machine in the system is generating lines of output. How would we approach creating a client side application for viewing this unified log output?   1 Answer
    • Given two strings of roman numerals, multiply their values. A roman numeral is valid if it conforms to all of a series of rules. (I don't remember them but that's not necessarily the purpose of the question).   5 Answers

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. It was for an internship.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

First saw this hiring post at a software conference.
    After sending my resume, got interview request in about 1 week.
    It was supposed to be a phone interview, but I went to the interviewer's office because I am local. The interviewer was pretty nice and I had a positive experience over all.

Interview Questions

• Imagine that you work for AT&T. Describe a system that manage phone numbers.
      The system should offer the following functions:
      1) allocate a phone number.
      2) cancel a phone number.
      3) suggest up to 5 phone numbers that have not been allocated. (such as for a family plan)
      The suggested phone numbers should be consecutive.
      1 Answer

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

It is a telephonic (first) round took for an hour. Asked questions on all areas of C# programming, solving puzzle, Web API, Restful, SQL, Azure components and design scenarios. HR did not give any prior intimation to get prepare myself. Interviewer called me and ask am I ready to take interview and I just proceed for it.

Interview Questions

• Design / implementation considerations while implementing a service talking to database which is deployed on Premise Vs Azure.   1 Answer
    • Various delegate types and when and where to use   1 Answer

Product Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

A recruiter found my resume on careerbuilder.com and contacted me regarding a phone interview. I was asked questions such as what my favorite piece of technology is and what do I like about Microsoft, the rest of it consisted of her talking about the benefits of the job. About 2-3 weeks later I was contacted by a manager and we scheduled a 1-1 interview. The interview was very chill, we sat one bench outside of the store. I was asked a few questions regarding my prior work experience and my personal life(school,interests). The rest of the interview was about the training process and the benefits that come with the job, overall a very easy interview. As I was driving back home I received a call saying I got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The wage offered was $13.50 and I accepted that.