Microsoft Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

2.9

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

My first project at Microsoft took 3 hours and I interviewed with 5 separate managers. It was the most exhausting interview process I've ever been through, especially since I slept about 3 hours the night before from being nervous/excited about the interview. Once I had a year under my belt it was easier to navigate the job space within Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• They were seeking very specific questions on past experience, end-to-end examples on how you tackled a problem, what was your thought process, what hiccups did you encounter and how did you overcome. Be prepared to discuss specific examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No much room for negotiation when you're a vendor or contractor since you deal with external agencies.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews. This was a contract position though a vendor. I spoke with the manager I would be reporting to as well as one of his peers. They walked through my resume and asked about some experiences I had at my previous employers. Nothing difficult or challenging.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NONE

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Very standard questions from HR, like give me an example of your team work. Give me an example when someone don't agree with you. For the presentation period, it gives two projects to choose and ask your decision and why.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This is only an intern job so not too much unexpected, too help you relax, the company has introduction round to keep you calm

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in January 2013.

Interview

In person interview with a panel of three people asking questions (typical questions). The interview itself was approx 30-40 min. Typical questions included, how much experience do you have with Access, Excel, PowerPivot, etc, why did you select this job, why do you want to work at Microsoft, Tell me about yourself. The interview staff were the direct Managers I would be reporting to. They also described what it is like to work at Microsoft and long-term placement opportunities as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

HR contacted....walked me through a few different roles. Then contacted again after a few days to set up a phone interview. The interviewer asked about my background and explained about the position and group. He also asked me about a time when I have to push back on my manager in my earlier role. That was it. HR informed me that he was looking for a more senior person and told me that she would find another position for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to push back on your manager ?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

Interview

The interview was a full day, I met with 8 different people across the business and technology teams the role would be working with.

Interview Questions

• What does ETL stand for?   1 Answer
    • What are the components of a SQL statement?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview

General phone screen before on-site interview. I was told there were multiple candidates for this position but I was one of their top. After waiting 2 weeks+ I finally received an update that they were pursuing internal candidates before external.

Interview Questions

• How would you prioritize your tasks (x, y, z)? Why do you want to work for Microsoft? Very generalized questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2010.

Interview

Phone interview then in-person interview

Interview Questions

• Name a project wher you were not sucessful   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negociation

Anonymous Employee in Guaynabo, PR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Guaynabo, PR) in December 2015.

Interview

Great interview with the controller, very friendly and proactive. The employer told me, he was looking for employees with great leadership and teamwork skills. Microsoft is very multi-cultural work environment and the employees are happy workers.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you and not the other interviewed candidates?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview

For the Escalation Analyst position I had to go through a personal interview with the Manager , and then a role play on the phone where I would deal with an "angry" customer and send an email afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenging situation you experienced
      Why should I give you the job ?
      Answer Question