Microsoft Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Microsoft Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

3.4

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

First phone interview with HR, followed with technical interview with experts.
    Followed up with on-site inteverview with 3 - 4 technical and sales folks.
    HR is mostly outsourced and for some reason the HR seemed to talk more about salary and was more interested in how low the base salary can be. Upon further questioning they provided some information on benefits, which are really good but the focus was on how low the base salary is acceptable.
    Technical interview was a joke, basic IP and VoIP questions and in most cases did not have indepth knowledge on their own products.
    On-site interview was 4 hours longs, had to drive to their downtown office. HR followed up prior to interview on location, reimbursement etc, but never followed up after the interview. Getting hold of HR after the interview was hard and never got a response to voice mail or email.
    On-site interview was OK, it appeared that most of the interviewers came there without knowing what is required of them, each one had a different agenda and all they talked about was Satya and Azure cloud.
    Interviewers appeared pre-occupied and hiring managers did not have a clue on what the role demanded.

Interview Questions

• Basic technonlogy questions and customer interaction questions.
      1. How would you convince a cisco customer to choose Lync/Skype.
      2. What is the one major issue with Skype?
      3. Define VoIP and explain how it works.
      1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

I had a thirty min telephonic interview and the questions were based on both technical and managerial.
    The recruiter was very friendly and gave hints and explained the questions very clearly and clarified all the doubts as well. I was able to answer all the questions to the knowledge I posessed.

Interview Questions

• Technical Questions:
      - Explain the logic to reverse a string
      - How can you modify the code by removing the duplicate elements.
      - what data structure can be used for the above logic and how it can be implemented.

Managerial Questions :
      - If you are a team lead how could you manage a team of 5 where 2 are beginners, 2 are at moderate level and 1 is a expert without effecting the team performance.
      - How can you figure out that a person in your team is stressed and how do you help him that will not impact the performance or not cause any delay??

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Very much a role playing exercise where I had to run a monthly review for a fictitious customer. After running the meeting with 6 other attendees, they did take the opportunity to ask questions (as a panel) and then gave me the opportunity to ask my own set of questions It was difficult, but certainly an enjoyable interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based behaviors were largely evaluated during the first part of the interview.

Other questions:
      Why do you want to work for Microsoft? They are truly trying to see if you will fit into the Microsoft culture.
      what do you do when you become stressed and can't keep up with the workload?
      How do you keep up to date with technology?

Channel Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

They have a great program that allows you to participate in Informational Interviews to understand the company's various depts. However, it is pretty critical to have advocates within company to stand of chance to have any chance of getting hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not too bad…they pay well above the average!

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I got the opportunity to do a phone interview for them because of a connection. The recruiters were very nice. We exchanged some emails and set up a phone interview. I wasn't very well prepared but I did ok, not good enough though.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting a technical question in my phone interview, so it didn't go well but if I had prepared I probably would have done very well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

I was contracted by a Microsoft recruiter though LinkedIn. Had a phone screen with the recruiter talking about my background and a technical phone interview 1 week later. Then I was invited to a hiring event in Chicago for an on-site interview. Onsite interview includes 4 rounds , 1 hour each. Interview questions includes white board coding, system design and some other open questions. All of the interviewers are pretty nice and friendly, they focus on how you approach the problem and communicate with them. I was interviewed on Thursday and got an offer on the following Tuesday.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a String class. Then write code to implement Insert(). Discuss performance about Insert and Lookup. The goal is to fine a solution that achieves O(logN) for both Insert and Lookup.

2. Write code for Push/Get to implement a ring buffer based on a fixed size char buffer.

3. Communication between Client/Server for a remote file system is based on a unreliable link (99% up-time but sometimes packet can be dropped). The client can send request like Open, Read, Write, Seek, Close, Create, Delete to the server. How would this system deal with packet loss? ACK is not allowed, so you CANNOT use a TCP like protocol.

4. Write code to implement a method that returns the top 10 most frequent words in a given string.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

I was contacted through LinkedIn. Then I had 2 phone interviews. After they were satisfied, they invited me to a hiring event that was scheduled in Chicago for In-person interview. There was a Meet & Greet session scheduled couple of days before my actual interview. This gave opportunity to interact with team members that had members of interview panel.
    In person interview had 4 interviews 1 hour each. And it was focussed on problem solving writing programs, discussing approaches, designing data structures.
    Interviewers are very friendly & encouraging guiding the entire problem solving process.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

they came to uic..and had a 30 minute interview.questions were reverse letters of each word in a sentence.Hello World->olleH dlroW..second was remove duplicates from single circular linked list..last was a project manager based question ..give feedback on design of product..mouse..

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in December 2012.

Interview

I know someone that works at Microsoft, so I asked them to forward my resume to a recruiter which they did. A few weeks later, I was contacted by phone to set up a phone interview with the recruiter.

The interview was about 30 minutes long and consisted of a marketing case study. They asked me to describe what product I would like to market and to outline a marketing strategy for the product. Then they introduced different scenarios that would happen throughout the life cycle of the marketing campaign and asked how I would react.

Then they allowed me to ask questions about the position and the company.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of Microsoft's marketing strategy do you like best? How would you get your classmates to switch from Apple products to Microsoft products?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chicago, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

Starts with a screening interview over the phone from Recruitment. Expect the typical questions here around your experience, career goals, and why you want to work for Microsoft. That's followed by a technical screening interview a week or two later. Finally, you'll be put through a full-day of interviews, usually 4 or 5, which is referred to as "Finals Day". You might have to wait a while before they schedule your Finals Day. These interviews will vary in nature but are mostly focused on your technical and consulting capabilities. While they don't tell you on the spot, you'll definitely know if you got the job at the end of the day or not, purely based on feedback from each interview. The entire process took a little over 3 months.

Interview Questions

• What makes Microsoft different from other Professional Services companies?   Answer Question