Microsoft Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

3.3

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Lengthy, panel of eight, questions around variety of tools, policy, BPM, KPI, managing people locally and virtually. Process was intimidating and not warm, don't expect this to be a camp fire discussion, its intense and gets right to the bottom of the jobs requirements and if you are a fit for what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Budget management scenarios that are impossible to solve   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

amazing - focus on problem solving

Interview Questions

• create a garden implement that changes the world - whiteboard the product development and GTM strategy   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

Interactive, scenario based questions. Multiple people interviewed me in the course of the day. I was asked to what seemed like a 'screen test' in which i was to propose a plan to fix a problem they were (in reality) having with their strategic direction. Kept in touch with the hiring manager in addition to the HR recruiter to keep me informed throughout the decision making process. I was able to negotiate a higher salary and you should try too. Its your change to establish a strong base for future raises/bonuses.

Interview Questions

• Posed theoretical managerial questions; situational interviewing. My role was non technical   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process at Microsoft is often long and convoluted. Be prepared for it. If you make it through screening then you'll be put in an 'interview loop'. These loops differ in length. For a marketing role you'll have a day of scheduled interviews. If the feedback is positive from those interviews then you will be put forward for a final interview with the AA or As Appropriate. They don't tell you this ahead of time so be prepared.

Interview Questions

• None come to mind outside the usual interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Microsoft has set bands for each level, there wasn't much wiggle room in the negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

Poorly managed by HR and recruiting. Very spotty and subjective. No sense of conducting a productive interview process. Poorly managed by HR. Went through 24 interviews before getting the job.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process was long, spanning several months. Overall, Microsoft was communicative and helpful throughout the process. I submitted online, then was contacted to submit a more detailed questionnaire over mail. Then I met with a recruiter in the NYC area, then had a fly-out to Redmond. The offer was delivered through e-mail with a follow-up call from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• How many fish are in the ocean?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2009.

Interview

Excellent Hiring Process for me when I interviewed to get the job.

Interview Questions

• Between Loyalty and Delivery.. what would I choose and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Quick and easy.. Didn't get all what I wanted but got a great deal.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2010.

Interview

Phone screenings and then a round robin set of interviews with 4-6 interviewers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

some flexibility but not a ton.

Director Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2010.

Interview

Several screen interviews ranging from 30 mins to an hour each. Requested many examples of how successfully influenced others. Some situational questions such as "if you had to sell xx type of idea, how would you approach it". Ended with a "loop" of about six interviews in Redmond. Move from one person to another, meeting in their offices. They were communicating with each other after each interview. Seemed that each had a particular focus area, perhaps probing again in areas you may have not answered as well in previous interviews. Must be prepared with actual relevant examples to make your points when answering questions. Recommend you spend significant time preparing by recalling situations that would be valuable to cite during your discussions. Staffing rep called a couple days later with the good news and that an offer would be forthcoming.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you sought to influence change and failed.   Answer Question
    • How would you spend you first 60 days?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mexico City (Mexico)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mexico City (Mexico)).

Interview

Phone and Personal Interviews. Total 5 interviews Direct contact thru LinkedIn with Talent Manager. Then phone screening interview even though no position was available for my job level. Then when a job was open I was contacted and interviwed by hiring manager and two LATAM Folks. Final interview was with GM.