Microsoft Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Director Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2017

3.4

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft (London, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

usually a 4-5 interview loop focused on specific competencies, usually all done on the same day by different interviews who focus on one or two competency areas. If successful the final interview is an AA (As Appropriate) which focus more on your long term fit in the company i.e. your ability/capability to perform a higher level job in the future. sometimes the loop can extend to 5 -10 interviews which can be soul destroying especially when bing asked repeated questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had difficulty trying to convince your manager of an idea   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

Interactive, scenario based questions. Multiple people interviewed me in the course of the day. I was asked to what seemed like a 'screen test' in which i was to propose a plan to fix a problem they were (in reality) having with their strategic direction. Kept in touch with the hiring manager in addition to the HR recruiter to keep me informed throughout the decision making process. I was able to negotiate a higher salary and you should try too. Its your change to establish a strong base for future raises/bonuses.

Interview Questions

• Posed theoretical managerial questions; situational interviewing. My role was non technical   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in January 2014.

Interview

As I was a fairly senior hire, I met with a few Senior executive in the field. It was a very respectable interview process. But focus seems to be with the numbers.

Interview Questions

• How do you effectively manage your pipeline (in your previous job)   Answer Question

Director Interview

Interview

Terrible experience. Received an email explaining I had been shortlisted for 2 phone interviews but didn't share any details about when they would take place. Had to chase several times to find out when they were and interview details. Only one out of two of the interviews actually took place. The phone interview was ok, normal questions. Didn't receive any feedback. Chased for feedback several times over 2-3 months. Still haven't heard anything.

Interview Questions

Microsoft Response

Oct 1, 2015 – Staffing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry to hear that you have had a poor experience. We strive to deliver a great candidate experience for everyone applying regardless of outcome, so I am keen ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Completely and ridiculously disorganized; got a call from the HR rep when I landed in Seattle asking if I was coming. Was then told they would have to scramble to get together people for the interview. Didn't have a reservation for a hotel at the airport the night I left. Can't believe a company like this would have such a terribly disorganized interview process.

No followup after the interview. Was promised that the hiring manager (who wasn't present during the interview) would call and set up a time to fly out to see and interview me. As that pre-arranged date got nearer, there was no contact and I never heard anything back. Oh, well. I'd say their loss, but wasn't interested after I saw inside the company.

Had an entry-level grunt fire a bunch of technical questions at me. No problem, of course, but that seemed kinda disrespectful for my background. I think they must have wanted an entry-level employee.

Interview Questions

• Asked a number of different questions, but that's not the relevant part of this interview.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Lengthy, panel of eight, questions around variety of tools, policy, BPM, KPI, managing people locally and virtually. Process was intimidating and not warm, don't expect this to be a camp fire discussion, its intense and gets right to the bottom of the jobs requirements and if you are a fit for what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Budget management scenarios that are impossible to solve   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process at Microsoft is often long and convoluted. Be prepared for it. If you make it through screening then you'll be put in an 'interview loop'. These loops differ in length. For a marketing role you'll have a day of scheduled interviews. If the feedback is positive from those interviews then you will be put forward for a final interview with the AA or As Appropriate. They don't tell you this ahead of time so be prepared.

Interview Questions

• None come to mind outside the usual interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Microsoft has set bands for each level, there wasn't much wiggle room in the negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2010.

Interview

Pre-call and then in-person interviews. The people seemed to have redundant questions as if they had not coordinated and planned ahead. I wish they had talked to one another first, so that they could each test for a different competency. A lot of the interview was for "fit," which basically means they would take you but need to make sure everyone would get along.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was an internal transfer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

Poorly managed by HR and recruiting. Very spotty and subjective. No sense of conducting a productive interview process. Poorly managed by HR. Went through 24 interviews before getting the job.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2010.

Interview

Expect multiple rounds. Initially informational. Then with Hiring Manager. If he/she is no-go you're done. If Hiring Manager believes you're a qualified candidate, then he/she will bring you in for a "loop" with 5-7 people. The last person is the partner/manager who has to "sign off" on your hire.

Note, Microsoft will almost always bring 3 people through on a loop. Best case scenario, you have a 1/3 chance of getting the job if you make it through the loop.

If you don't make it to the end of the loop - e.g. the "partner/manager is suddenly unavailable and called into a meeting" - then you're out. The loop participants decided it wasn't worth the partner/manager time to spend with you. You got a thumbs down.

Interview Questions

• If you're not ready to answer tough questions, then don't expect a job at Microsoft. Do your research on the interviewers, know the competition, and have opinions (but be open to others feedback)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiate up another level. Levels are super hard to move once inside Microsoft. Thus, better to move up a level, than to get more pay.