Microsoft Interview Questions in Dublin, Co. Dublin | Glassdoor

Updated May 12, 2017

3.3

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online on the Microsoft Career website. I received an email a week after saying that they would like to plan a phone call. During this phone call we talked about my formation, my experience, what is this internship about, in which team, ... . Then after I received a mail saying that they were very impressed during the phone call and they would like to have on face to face interviews in Dublin.
    I am from France so after a week were they organised the whole trip (flight, hotel, food, taxi, ... everything is paid for you, the hotel was a 4*!), I went to do face to face interviews.
    I had one person who followed me the whole day, who was very cool and made me at ease. And then I did 4 interviews :
    1st : We talked about my experience, project and the team
    2nd : Technical questions on Data Science
    3rd : Technical questions on software Dev, but also "if I say, money is not a problem what would be the job of your dream?"
    4th : Technical questions on software Dev, but also "What is for you the difference between a Data Scientist and a software engineer?"
    All the process was quite intense, I had only 5 minutes to drink a glass of water between each interview and all is going very quickly. But the interviewer were very cool, easy to talk with and we really managed to make a conversation more than an interview.

At the end they proposed me an offer directly!

Tips to suceed:
    - Make it a 2 ways conversation rather than an 1 one interview. This means that you have to PREPARE questions to ask. Personally I had 5 question for each category (Technical Questions, Questions about working in Microsoft, Questions about life at microsoft).
    - Be enthusiastic, dynamic and smiling
    - Don't overthink technical interviews, they are pretty cool and can help you if you have some problems. If you have the minimum level required you can't fail it if you know how to build on their indications.

Interview Questions

• Data science : I had a graph showing different step were a client is interested by microsoft product to the real buying act. If you have a dataset of previous clients who bought/didn't buy, how to make prediction for new clients ?   1 Answer
    • Data science : What is a good/bad Data visualisation ?   1 Answer
    • Data science : Explain Markov Chains to a 8 years old chilf   Answer Question
    • SoftDev : Python (I chose), you have an array of string sorted but with empty strings (e.g. ["abc","","","","cef","","","dej,""] and you want to know if an other string is in this array. How to do it with a complexity of O(log n) in general case ?
      Then how to find how many times it appears in this array ?
      1 Answer
    • SoftDev : Python (I chose), You have an array of int of len n, sorted, filled with int from 0 to n, e.G. [0,1,2,4,5], you want to find what is the number such as it introduces the problem.
      Complexity of O(log n) in general required.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was for the Software Engineering position in Dublin. It consisted of 4 45-minute technical interviews that covered everything, from algorithms and data structures up to System Design. Between the interviews I had 15 minutes to rest. I got the answer 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• Find the middle element of a linked list.   1 Answer

Ireland Marketing, PR & Communication Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2017.

Interview

1. Applied online (for Dublin office) and got an invitation for
    2. Pre-Recorder Video Interview

All questions were:

Practice/Warm Up Question: Can you tell me about some everyday activities that you really enjoy?
    Q2 What aspects of the Microsoft culture led you to apply to us for your Internship?
    Q3 Imagine you were speaking with a Microsoft customer who was unhappy with the service they had received. What would you do to turn the situation around?
    Q4 What do you think Microsoft’s goals and mission are and why are these important?
    Q5 Why do you think it is important to Microsoft to always meet customer’s needs?
    Q6 When was the last time you encountered and resolved a challenging problem?
    Q7 Tell me about a recent technological innovation that excites you.

They should be all like these for all countries (France, UK, Spain, USA, etc)

3. Rejected

Interview Questions

• Pre-Recorder Video Interview

Q6 When was the last time you encountered and resolved a challenging problem?
      Q7 Tell me about a recent technological innovation that excites you.

They should be all like these for all countries (France, UK, Spain, USA, etc)

Solution Sales Professional (MACH Programmer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2017.

Interview

a multi-stage recruitment process (lengthy, it took several months), Skype interviews with a recruiter and a hiring manager (30 min each) - a mix of behavioural and general questions about prior experience, one-on-one with the hiring manager (Skype 30 min and F2F) + Skype meeting with one of the employees working in the same section. F2F with the hiring manager includes a presentation of the role. I went through all the stages, but finally I didn't get any answer from the hiring manager/recruiter. Pure waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What is growth mindset?
      Why do you think you fit for this role?
      How did you communicate to the client the project was delayed? How did you handle the situation?
      How do you understand the role of SSP?
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in February 2017.

Interview

if you are applying for an intern and you have +2 years of experience, you are out. If the job advertising does not say anything, doesn't matter. They are really strict in this point. Anyway, it was a good experience where I learned a lot.

Interview Questions

• if you are applying for an intern and you have +2 years of experience, you are out. If the job advertising does not say anything, doesn't matter. They are really strict.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in February 2017.

Interview

Local campus interview. Basic information + case-scenarios questions about collaboration mostly.

On-site interview. 4 rounds of 45 min each. Every round consisted of an introduction of the interviewer, a few personal questions, programming challenges, testing questions. In between interviews, us interviewees had a chance to talk and get some refreshments. Everyone was kind, and overall I got a good impression.

Interview Questions

• Reverse the words in a string   1 Answer
    • Write a method to parse an integer from a string.   1 Answer
    • Find lowest common ancestor in a tree.   1 Answer
    • In a two-dimensional array, containing 0s and 1s, find the largest coherent group of 1s (two 1s are coherent if they are placed next to each other in a direction N, E, S, or W).   1 Answer
    • Write a method IntToString which converts an integer to a string with thousands separators.   1 Answer
    • How would you test a marker, keyboard, web service...   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in February 2017.

Interview

I did the skype interview and i have been asked to answer many questions about microsoft rather than questions about finance. you have to know microsoft's technology and their mission & goals. i have been asked what is cloud, is there any new technology that excited you, and why do you choose microsoft. it is easy to answer, but they did not ask me questions about my resume, it's unusual.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

After handing in a CV to a university recruiter, I got an email arranging a short technical interview over Skype/phone. One basic enough coding problem with an engineer and some followup questions about the solution. It only took about 40 minutes and the guy interviewing was friendly so it all went smoothly.

Once that was passed, I got a final stage interview on-site. They bring people in in groups of 4. There's a group of 4 Microsoft engineers doing the interviews. Each engineer pairs off with one student and gives them a 45 minute interview. At the end, they rotate so every student gets another interview with a different one of the engineers. Depending on how you're doing, you get 3 or 4 interviews in total. If they can make a decision after 3, they won't bother doing a fourth, but I did 4 and I think everyone else in the group I was with did too. There are also short 5-10 minute breaks between interviews where you get snacks and drinks and you can ask questions to the HR person organising the interviews, as well as just get filled in about details and perks of the job. Overall, it took between 3 and 4 hours. Wearing a suit was not required and nobody on the day did wear one.

The interviews questions themselves are actually not that difficult and don't require an extensive knowledge of theory or language libraries or computer architecture or anything like that. They're often happy to let you make up a function to explain your problem more quickly and they aren't really interested in you getting the syntax just right. The questions are generally just algorithms that you can solve with pseudocode. There was no soft interview with fluff questions, apart from some casual small-talk, only these technical ones. Questions were answered on a whiteboard.

I was unfortunately not offered a position. Although I didn't get feedback as it's against company policy to provide it, I feel pretty sure I know how I messed up. My advice for others to not make the same mistakes as me would be that although they want you to talk about what you're doing and to ask questions, do not ask questions related to what they think of your solution before it's even finished. The questions you should ask should only be related to clarifying what the question requires and figuring out what boundaries you're working within.

Show confidence in your own ability to solve it, even if you aren't 100% sure you're doing the right thing or if you feel it's a convoluted solution, instead of looking for validation from the interviewer that you're on the right track by regularly asking "does that seem alright?" or similar things along the way. Don't ask for feedback on the solution until it's done and DO NOT present it as being done until you feel you have tested it properly by yourself. If there is a flaw in the solution, that's fine as long as you find it yourself instead of letting them point it out. I was most of the way through my third interview before realising I was doing this because the interviewer had the honesty to point it out and offer me this advice, but by then I had already gone through nearly three while doing it.

For most of the process, I was pretty happy and would have been inclined to say that despite not getting the job, it was a positive experience if it didn't become a bit soured at the end. As someone still very eager to work there and reapply, I was really hoping to discuss this with the recruiter, but communication was unfortunately very unresponsive after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a string of letters, create a function to make a new string consisting of the number of times each letter appears, followed by the letter itself. For example, "aaabbccccd" would become "3a2b4c1d".   1 Answer
    • Given an integer, create a function to check if it is a palindrome   Answer Question
    • Create a function that does the same thing as C's "strcpy" function, but that will not use up more memory than is already available, given the remaining memory available in the system.   1 Answer
    • If you have an autonomous robot in a 2 plane of unknown size, program it to find a hidden mineral somewhere on the plane.   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in January 2017.

Interview

Skype first round interview, asked technical based questions on Data structures and algorithms, such as recursion. Interviewer was good and helpful, but have heard a lot of them won't be as nice. Use any language of your choice

Business Operation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a Pre-registered video interview. I got 30 seconds to see and prepare the question and then 1 minute and 30 seconds to answer. I got just 1 attempt for each question.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of the Microsoft Culture led you to apply to us for your internship?   Answer Question
    • What do you think Microsoft's goal and mission are and why are these important?   Answer Question