Microsoft Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Was very difficult and long, but worth it! They asked a lot of skill and experience questions. Defintiely research before. I would look up all the skills and memorize those because that is what they want and are looking for. I think it is a great expereince to go through this interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your past experience?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

phone interview to know background and technical details was most important

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

two phone interviews, then onsite

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2011.

Interview

Not related to any specific technology. mostly about problem solving, programming and testing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

Easy programming question, but wasn't ready for the question at hand and was out of practice. Interviewer was fakely interested in what I had to say. Overall a pretty bad interview. Culture seemed very impersonal and superficial. The process of receiving an interview was very informal. Generally speaking, it seems really random who got through and who didn't. I was hoping for the program manager position and got programming questions, whereas another friend didn't get any. Who you get interviewed by is a very determining factor.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2009.

Interview

I provided my resume to my university's recruiter. I had worked with her in the past for a Microsoft sponsored student event, so she knew me.

A few weeks later Microsoft was conducting interviews on my school campus and invited me for what they call "oncampus interviews." This takes the place of a phone screening. Before the interview I fill out a form stating what positions I'm interested in: SDET, SDE, or PM. On the day of the interview you are interviewed by a single person, who asks general questions, and then questions more specific to your preferred area.

If you pass this phase you're invited to an interview at Microsoft, and you meet with multiple people, generally interviewed by two teams. You go to the office of the person interviewing you, and have to answer technical questions and do whiteboard programing. At each stage the interviewer can choose to send you home, but if they don't you're eventually interviewed by the fifth and final person, the hiring manager who has final say in whether you get an offer or not.

It took several months before my last interview before I heard that I was going to be getting an offer. This was unusual compared to my friends experiences.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a CD player. Specifically, what UI choices would you make? And then how would you test it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not attempted to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2009.

Interview

Too slow, moves so slow that you can just keep waiting. Plus you meet rude people who are more interested in finding personality fits than work fits.

Interview Questions

• How would you plan this project?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2009.

Interview

Had a phone interview... asked hypothetical questions and some about my current job, challenges, and qualifications for a future position. Found it to be an easy phone interview but did not get an offer. Technical qualifications were addressed and evaluated.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2008.

Interview

Resume being selected for the interview is the harder part in my opinion.
    Interviews are not so hard compared to Other equally popular companies.
    Most of the questions would be past interview questions found on internet.
    Even if you know answer right away , trying to deduce the procedure infront of the interviewer would be helpful in gaining a good impression.
    Roughly about 1 in 5 are selected from interviews.
    So if 20 guys are interviewed on your day. you would need to be atleast 4th best.

Interview Questions

• Given a square Grid of numbers, Considering all the numbers at the boundary as 1 layer and numbers just inside as another layer and so on how would you rotate each of the layers of the numbers by a given amount.   3 Answers

Negotiation

Cannot negotiate most of the time. Unless you are a top executive, VP and above.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

My interview was many years ago. 7 rounds including head hunter, HR, hiring manager, peers, director and two colleagues from other team that I will work with.

No particular IQ question but more job related. My hiring manager was try IMG to ask question that I can't answer and monitor my response.

Interview Questions

• HR: what will you do when your manager wants you to do something or perform task that you don't agree upon ?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Can't negotiate much . Offer about 10 percent more than previous package. It's Microsoft, the exposure and experience is more valuable.