Microsoft Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (New Delhi (India)) in August 2016.

Interview

Microsoft visited our campus and took an online coding test, in which their were 3 coding questions.
All those who answered all the question correctly, were called for the Group Fly round.
In Group Fly, we had to discuss our approach with the mentor of the group (size 6-8). People with most optimized solutions were selected.
Next their were 2 interview rounds. But it got so late, that my both the technical interviews were combined in 1.

Interview Questions

• Find the Universal Sink node in a Directed Graph. A universal sink is that node, which has no outgoing edge but all the other nodes point directly to this sink node.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Hiring process was straightforward enough, started with being contacted by a university recruiter, then had an on-campus interview. The first interview wasn't too bad, mainly technical and questions that a person with a decent understanding of algorithms could figure out. Then was invited to Redmond for a final round of interviews, and here's where everything went bad.

My first interviewer right off the bat wanted me to write the Shunting yard algorithm without a stack, which on its own even with a stack isn't that intuitive of an algorithm unless you've memorized it. Then the rest of the interviews were just as bad with a series of low level programming questions, none of which I was prepared for as I wasn't interviewing for a low level programming or a full-time job.

In general, was very upset about the later half of the process and the time I put in preparing in order to just be evaluated on topics I was told I wouldn't need to worry about.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

Interview

I applied for a Finance Rotational internship with Microsoft through my University. I was contacted and scheduled an interview through Microsoft's own signup software. The woman who interviewed me was pretty withdrawn/unwelcoming. All she did was ask me questions and write down my answers; she seemed almost unfriendly or uninterested. None of my questions were typical behavioral questions either, even though that was what I was expecting (for example, I never got a "name a time when..."); all of the questions I was asked were very specific to certain experiences I had on my resume or unrelated and technical questions. I was also asked basic accounting questions, questions about Microsoft's own products and specific questions about my experiences. This was my first interview so I'm sure I could have prepared more beforehand but based on what I read online and what I was told from Microsoft's recruiter I was unprepared for what I would be asked. Overall, it was a good learning experience! It definitely prepared me for other interviews I've had recently.

Interview Questions

• Based on the current US markets, what are your predictions for the future economy?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

I have applied online. They contacted me after two weeks and told me they will contact me for interview. After around 2 months they contacted me and asked to attend in campus interview. The first round was held in my university. The interviewer was an engineer came from Seattle. It took 30 minutes. He asked me some typical programming questions and asked me to explain my resume. After around 5 days I got an acceptance email. They asked me to travel to Redmond for the final round interview. Due to delay in my Visa I went to Vancouver office for the interview. It were 4 rounds interviews. They were purely technical. They asked lots of questions in details. You need to write the program on the white board. They payed all expenses such as flight and accommodation. After several days the recruiter contacted me and gave me the offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were so difficult and they asked in details. So you need to be well prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview

First round on campus. Second round in Redmond.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oslo (Norway)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Oslo (Norway)).

Interview

Il y a en tout 3 entretiens d'embauche, les deux premiers se font avec les RH et le dernier est un entretien technique sur le site où se tiendra le stage.

Interview Questions

• Vous avez trois paniers, le premier avec des pommes, le deuxième avec des oranges, et le dernier des pommes et des oranges. Il y a des étiquettes sur chacun des paniers mais toutes les étiquettes sont erronées. Comment faites-vous pour en déduire le contenu des trois paniers ?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The first stage was a phone interview, after which there was a face to face interview which was recorded by an agency. Thorough interviewing process with a number of interviews with different Managers. Included a presentation and a group exercise to see how each person contributed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Started with an hour long Skype interview where I was asked about my interest in the company and my experience, and had to answer a coding question. Then I moved on to an in person interview on campus that consisted of four hour-long interviews with different people on the team I was interviewing for. Each person asked one coding question and asked about my interests in programming.

Interview Questions

• Write code that checks to see if a string is a palindrome.   Answer Question
    • Write code that efficiently and thoroughly shuffles a deck of cards.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview that asked about a very simple riddle (3 baskets of fruits, mislabeled, you can only reach in to one and take a fruit, label all baskets). After that I was flown in to Redmond. Starting in the morning there were 4 rounds of interviews, 45 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• City skyline: Given datapoints that represent the corners pf buildings, calculate the silhouette of the skyline.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I attended a Microsoft event on campus and talked with a software engineer at the fall career fair. I contacted the recruiter about a week after asking about interviews. Instead of going through the on-campus interviews, she said I would fly out to Redmond for the on-site, final round interviews. There were three interviews; they were pretty difficult compared to my peers, but that might have been because I had more experience than most.

Interview Questions

• Implement Cron, the Linux task scheduling system.   Answer Question
    • If caching between MongoDB and Redis fails, what will happen and how should the Redis database be architectured to fix this?   Answer Question
    • Explain the difference between GET, POST, and PUT in HTTP REST APIs.   Answer Question
    • You are given an array of integers. If an index contains a positive number x, move forward x steps. If it contains a negative number y, move backward y steps. Determine if there is a loop in this array.   Answer Question
    • How would you implement a browser history tracking tool?   Answer Question