Microsoft Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through an on-campus interview with one of their engineers. It took about half an hour total. They ask both behavioral and technical questions. The next step is onsite in Seattle, where they ask more technical focused questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project on your resume   Answer Question
  • One dimensional array questions, string manipulation questions, graph questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I received an email from the university recruiter asking to schedule an on-campus interview. By the time I scheduled it, the slots were full and they had to move me for a telephone interview

Interview Questions

• The questions were behavioral   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online on Microsoft's website for their Software Engineer Intern position. The process took roughly 2-3 weeks. I was scheduled for an on-campus interview shortly after applying online. The interview was mostly behavioral eg. talking about my projects and skills. The one odd thing about this interview was that the interviewer wanted me to solve a whiteboard coding question 20 minutes before the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your projects, your experience, what you've worked on etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

It was an on campus screening. Usually these are around 45 minutes. I spoke about my projects.
    I was asked : "define what success means to me", "was there a time when you disagreed with co-workers? How did you handle it?". Then I solved two easy coding questions. Overall the interview felt a little rushed, but the coding questions are pretty easy as long as you are prepared.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter during a career fair. Was contacted within a week's time about setting up an on campus interview. I was surprised I wasn't asked more about behavioral questions. Was asked to "talk about myself" and what I wanted to do at Microsoft but that was it.

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Virginia Beach, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Was called for a technical interview based on the resume given in the career fair. The overall experience was good. The interviwer was friendly. Asked general questions like describe when you worked in a team? What were the difficulties you met? How did you overcome them ? He wanted to know which position I would be looking forward to at Microsoft. Why Microsoft? Do you have any questions to ask?

Interview Questions

• Was asked how to delete a node in a binary search tree. He wanted an efficient algorithm to perform this.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Nashville, TN) in October 2016.

Interview

I attended a job fair at Tennessee State University and applied for internship at the Microsoft booth. Within a couple of days, Microsoft contacted me for an on-campus interview. The interviewer was the same person (recruiter) that I had talked to at the job fair. He was a friendly person, and made me feel very comfortable throughout the interview. For the most part our conversation was more like one that you will have with a classmate or a colleague, we shared courteous humor while the business moved along. I was asked some personality questions, a couple of which revolved around working in a group, and area of interest for internship. There was one technical question. Finally he asked me if I had any questions for him. I asked him about his job at Microsoft, and the interview finished with his reply.

Note: I am putting no offer in the option box because I have not yet received an offer but its in no way indicative of the interview performance because it has not been even a week yet!

Interview Questions

• Write a method which checks a string for unbalanced parenthesis (i.e. one too many opening or closing parenthesis) and returns a boolean value.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Rochester, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted my resume at the college booth. Got a call in a couple of weeks for a 1 on 1 interview in college.
    It was my first ever interview. Was pretty nervous but the guy was really nice. The interview went easily. The guy gave some really good feedback after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a project you are proud of.
      Talk about a group project and your role in it.

TECHNICAL QUESTION:
      Find the max sum of consecutive integers in an array.
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

First went to career fair at my university and then applied online for internship positions. Got a mail from them after few weeks for phone screen. Phone screen was easy and interviewer was nice. They mailed two weeks after phone screen asking for onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Give program to count word frequency and take into account special characters   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I attended a Microsoft event on campus and talked with a software engineer at the fall career fair. I contacted the recruiter about a week after asking about interviews. Instead of going through the on-campus interviews, she said I would fly out to Redmond for the on-site, final round interviews. There were three interviews; they were pretty difficult compared to my peers, but that might have been because I had more experience than most.

Interview Questions

• Implement Cron, the Linux task scheduling system.   Answer Question
    • If caching between MongoDB and Redis fails, what will happen and how should the Redis database be architectured to fix this?   Answer Question
    • Explain the difference between GET, POST, and PUT in HTTP REST APIs.   Answer Question
    • You are given an array of integers. If an index contains a positive number x, move forward x steps. If it contains a negative number y, move backward y steps. Determine if there is a loop in this array.   Answer Question
    • How would you implement a browser history tracking tool?   Answer Question