Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

6,573 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Flew out to Seattle, stayed at a nice hotel, was picked up and taken to MSFT HQ. Fed a tasty breakfast with hot coffee. Went through 4 back to back interviews:
    * coding problem -- outline a function for testing whether a string is a palindrome
    * behavioral interview
    * design a competitor to Google Nest
    * estimate how many tennis balls would fit in a submarine

All the interviewers were exceptionally friendly, the end-to-end process was smooth and simple, and they expedited results the next day!

Interview Questions

• Estimate how many tennis balls would fit in a submarine   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

I got an interview opportunity at their campus recruiting event. The interviewer seems a little unprepared, and the conversation was a little awkward because I felt like the interviewer don't care at all and he was just doing this job so that he could get home early.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a thread and a process?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Takes one to two weeks. Three part interview: first phone, then assistant manager, then full time manager. It was a simple process. They are looking for someone who could fill a long time position.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The process was very slow. I applied in Late September for 2 different internships at Microsoft. I got a reply back from the recruiters at around late February. It's kinda ridiculous that I had to wait almost 6 months to get a reply back, but then again... it is a large company and they do receive a lot of applicants. I had my first interview on my university campus. My entire interview process was technical question after technical question after technical question. It wasn't too difficult, but it was one of the few internship interviews I had that purely did technical questions (I had around 10 interviews this year). I ended up getting no offer due to no positions available.

Interview Questions

• Standard coding interview questions like checking if there is a loop in a singly-linked list and other string manipulation.   Answer Question

Product Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview the following day just explaining the job. I ended up taking a better position at a different company. The interview questions are really easy as long your truthful and have a knack for technology.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Was invited for a coding test for a Bing hiring event. Passed that and was invited to fly to Seattle for an onsite.
    I cannot even begin to explain the pathetic nature of the interviews. 16 candidates are brought in from all over and given rooms, and the interviewers go around interviewing each one of them.
    I had a horrible experience with the first interviewer. He was laughing in a mocking way when I was on the wrong track for a particular question. He cut me off in the middle when I was giving the answers and when I was on the wrong track for a question and when said oh I could have done it that way, he said not you could have .. u should have... you can't work in Microsoft if you can't come up with solutions. And when his phone rang loudly in the middle of the interview, he didn't even bother to apologize and let it ring for sometime. He also wished me and said "I hope your other interviews go better than this one" ;)
    The 4th interviewer seemed super dis-interested too. He kept chatting with someone while I was whiteboarding.
    The entire experience was really off for me, I cannot imagine Microsoft allows such unprofessional interviewers to interview candidates who have flown many miles to come attend their interviews.

Will definitely never interview with Microsoft ever again.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I took the hiring event onsite hosting by Microsoft for AI & R.
    Before interviewing with Microsoft, I already got offers from several other big companies among FLAG & UAD.

1st round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
    the AI team member looks like is an Indian, gave a question that I ever saw than know the answer. I tried to explain to him the optimized solution. He gave me several hints that turned out to be wrong (he admit it in the interview), and finally the result is NO probability because I don't take his wrong hint and stick to the right direction. That is ridiculous.

2nd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
    The AI team member looks like an Indian, gave me first question. I analyze the problem and break it down into pretty reasonable parts similar as divide and conquer. I gave her a runnable answer with Time n^2 Space 1, and evolute 4 rounds to optimize it further and further to the best solution I can get. Then she gave me second question, I provided my two runnable solutions but the interviewer ask for solution without any extra space( data structure) to use. That is tentatively make the problem harder, but finally I get the solution per her requirement.
    And finally, the result is NO for my fast problem solving and clear code and personality to get the fast and correct answer. Ridiculous!

3rd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer though not the best solution, YES

The team member looks like an Asian, gave me two questions, and I analyze the question and optimize it further and further with Time and Space Complexity until the interviewer say ok to my solution. Pretty similar progress as previous two round. The result is YES.

4th round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, best solution, YES

I am a senior software engineer with 5 years working experience, suppose this round is a system design question, but it is still a coding question.

The team member looks like a native American, gave me one question, and I analyze the question fist with pseudo code and then real code with best solution. The result is YES.

Microsoft was ever a great company with excellent reputation and branding. She was justified an interviewer fairly without politics. But now, I guess the reason I got NO from first two rounds even I perform better, is that I am not Indian (personality and culture fit). How could you imagine a candidate get two NO round, with offers from 4 big companies.
    Yes, culture fit, personality reason. Ridiculous!

My suggestions to Microsoft Hiring Event:
    1. add shadow to interviewer every round.
    2. take a picture of the coding and design result.
    3. check the performance of the candidate who got an offer from hiring event.

Interview Questions

• Good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO for culture fit.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

I interviewed for Microsoft Azure group event.
    The overall process was nice, I first had online coding test with 3 questions, then they flew me to Seattle. Covered all my trip expenses.
    The interview started at 12:30 and went on till 4:30.
    There were 13 other candidates along with me, each of us was given a room. There were 4 interviews. Nothing too difficult, they would ask the basics, like the very basics. Make sure to practice whiteboard coding and write clean code. It's an easy interview, not like google. Don't try to study cracking the coding interview, I think even that was an overkill. They would be asking the most basics. So be prepared for that.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2017.

Interview

I got contacted by hr and scheduled a phone screen with a data scientist. After self introduction, she asked me a few technical questions to know my experience with the machine learning or statistics models.