Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview Questions

3.3

517 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in June 2008.

Interview

remember to prepare yourself on how to test random objects like staplers and water balloons! Also make sure you revise all that you learned in your data structures class. String manipulation is also very important. And google to learn about brain teasers!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2009.

Interview

Quick and easy interview, but the recruited dropped the ball. This has happened to a few of my friends as well - first round interview, goes well, promise of a final round interview, then turns around and says "too late...sorry!" (in more formal terms) Why did I interview in the first place if that were the case?

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2009.

Interview

Microsoft seems to have shifted from the brainteaser type interviews. Questions were generally geared to seeing how you would use common sense to figure out work problems. Interviewer was very pleasant and seemed extremely knowledgeable about his field. Conversation flowed smoothly with questions concerning how I would approach testing of software.

Interview Questions

• How would you test a program that counts minivans on a highway   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2007.

Interview

I posted my resume to their website. After a few weeks later, they sent an email to me asking for the best time for a phone interview. On the phone interview, they asked me afew general questions and a few simple technical questions. For the last couple of years they are asking harder questions on the phone.
    After the phone interview, I was called for a formal interview. During the interview, they asked for the regular Microsoft interview questions. If you search for those questions on the web, you will find so many of them. Your attitude is important. The interviewer is supposed to evaluate you for personal skills also. Be positive and continue to come up with different solutions. Don't ever stuck during your interview. Even if you are nervous, tell this to the interview, wait for a minute to just relax. Then continue on full power for different options and answers.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to find the maximum sum of sub array where the array can have negative and positive numbers.   4 Answers

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I heard that a few other people negotiated and gor better options. I'm not sure if such a thing is possible because they get so many applications. They have so many good options to select from.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in October 2009.

Interview

Had one phone interview with a developer who asked about reversing a string. Got an on-campus interview a few weeks later. Had 5 interviews with 5 different testers and team members. I was asked both testing and coding questions. The first interview was with a tester who asked me to test a safety card hanging on the wall. I was asked a linked list question during the next interview and coded on a white board. The third interview was a lunch interview. The guy seemed to be in a hurry because he asked me two easy coding questions before heading to lunch which made me more nervous. The forth interview was a higher level question about a 12 sided di and how many colors it took to color it. The last interview was with a tester who just asked a few 'get to know you' questions including why should I hire you. Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Test a safety card   Answer Question
    • Write an algorithm to pick the mayor of a town. There is a random number that is chosen and every nth person on the list is deleted until the mayor is chosen.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

Interview

Got the opportunity through on campus career fair. The first round interview is 30 minutes. The interviewer first ask about why I choose to work as a tester, then asked one of my most difficult project experience. After that, he asked me to write an atoi() function which convert an string to integer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose to work as a tester   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2007.

Interview

Started of at the College campus recruiting fair. Microsoft had a boot there where i went and submitted my resume. Also i spoke to one of the recuiters there and told her about my background and why i was interested in working for microsoft. She asked me a few general questions about my resume and then she asked me a question about reversing a linked list. I wrote an algorithm for her and she took down a few notes while i did that.
    After a couple of days i was notified by the college recuiting that i have an on campus interview scheduled with Microsoft in the next week.

On Campus Interview:
    Duration 1 hour.
    Started with looking at resume and asking some simple questions about my projects and experience. After that i was asked to write a program with Array's (I don't remeber the exact question). After that, about a week after i was called my an HR person from microsoft to schedule an On-Site interview.

On Site Interview:
    Duration: 5 Interviews of 45 mins each

1. Started of by meeting a HR manager who asked me question like, what do i do. Why would i want to work at microsoft. and then she briefed me on what my day would look like.
    2. Interview with an SDET 2 - He asked me how will you test a Stapler
    3. Interview with an SDET 2 - He asked me how will you test UI for a file dialog in windows.
    4. Interview with an SDET Lead - He asked me about my fav programming language. Then we moved on to a coding question. How will you reverse the words in the string.
    5. Interview with a Test Manager: This was more informational. Where the manager talked about the product from a higher level, the kind of work they do.

After about a week of the full time interview, i was notified that they had an offer for me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate my offer. I would say if you have multiple offers in hand go for the negotiations.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2008.

Interview

The phone interview consisted of a 1 hour pre screen phone conversation. It started off by the interviewer asking basic questions about some of the things listed on my resume. After that, the interviewer asked deeper into some of the projects I worked on, and moved onto more specific technical questions about my skills in programming in C++. Finally I was asked a technical brain teaser question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write an algorithm in C++ to sort an array. The function I was to write was to take in a string of letters "b" and "r". b = a red ball and r = a blue ball. The function was to return an integer with the least number of swaps needed to separate the balls to be next to their own colors...
      So for example, RBBR would return 1, since you only need to swap one of the letters to be RRBB or BBRR.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2009.

Interview

This was different from the previous interviews I had with Microsoft, the team interviewed 5 candidates parallely and they had multiple sessions covering about 20 people I think. Two of us were selected for the 4th round, questions were simple but they expected you to solve it quickly

Interview Questions

• Evaluate postfix expression   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2008.

Interview

For the SDIT role, they focus on how you think and the basic fundamentals of Data Structures: linked list, search, graphs, tree.. etc, and some behavior questions. I have a couple of interviews at the Redmond campus, and at the end of the day, I felt I've been brain picked for a whole week. Normally, the on site interview will be conducted by at least three person, and at least two of the three will give technical interview where the other person will give behavior questions. Some of the questions are not difficult, but it's hard when you have to write a program in the white board and within certain time limit. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• How do you create and reserve a linked list? After you have written the function to create the functions, write a function to sort the linked list.   Answer Question