Microsoft Account Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Provo, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

They asked me about a project I performed, and informed me that they will ask me question during the interview about it. The interviewer was not informed about how the process would continue, or it was his tecnique to avoid telling me if I would pass to a 2nd interview, but he did not tell me what the next steps were, or when could I expect to have feedback from them.

Interview Questions

• What project can you mention?   1 Answer
    • How did you organize yourself and how did you prepare to accomplish it?   1 Answer

Technical Account Manager - MACH Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

My process began with a screening interview that got a bit technical, I was asked about the projects i'd worked on school. Questions like how many lines of code i'd written in total. I must have done well on this interview since I was invited out to Washington for on-campus interviews.

The night before the interviews we all went for a fancy dinner at this sushi place and got to meet each other. That was kinda cool, I got to hear about other people's backgrounds and stories.

We were all being interviewed for a focus called Customer Facing Technologist which has 4 different roles that vary by how technical or how people facing you are. To be clear, Customer in these roles meant corporate clients. The positions included Technical Account Manager, Associate Consultant, Field Engineer, and Project Manager. The weird things is that nobody knew which specific position we we're all being hired for, everything was kept super vague which messed with our ability to prepare for the interviews.

The next day we each had two rounds of interviews. We were told that we'd have a 2-on-1 interview where we had to present on any topic we were passionate about to two Microsoft staff, and then a second 1-on-1 interview. My second interview however, ended up being another 2-on-1. Both interviews went well, the first pair asked me questions related to my presentation. On the other hand, the second was more technical, and since I made it pretty clear that I didn't want to get my hands in the code - leaning more toward the Technical Account Manager position - I was asked hypothetical questions related to managing accounts. With these questions it seemed they were looking for very specific answers/solutions and I was drilled until i mentioned the right word or phrase.

After the interviews, we were given cool Microsoft hoodies, and free Taxi-ride vouchers. We all felt pretty good about the whole experience. We were put up in nice hotels and given a generous meal reimbursement credit of $75 per day. The interviewers were all very nice, and did a great job of making us feel welcome and comfortable.

I ultimately was not given an offer, but I wasn't torn up by it since I actually applied for a design position; Not sure how I got fit into the Customer Facing Technologist bunch but during the interview, especially reviewing my resume, the interview seemed to give off a sense that I would be bored at the job and not using my real skillset.

Interview Questions

• If I client was paying for a certain amount of Azure service, lets say $2MM a year but was only utilizing a fraction, lets say $300k worth of the product, what would you do to help the client better utilize their service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

The HR contacted me after I applied on the careers website, Nice person noted some details from my end and asked for my compensation expectation and pretty much normal HR Interview

1 week after he contacted back stating the Hiring Manager will like to speak with me as he is very happy with my resume and my work ex. I spoke with the manager and a regular interview about what I do and all stuff and I asked few of my questions and he was very happy with me and over the phone he told me that he wants me to be onsite for next set of interviews. Dropped off the call with telling me that HR will contact for next steps

1 week later the HR contacts and informs me that scheduling team will contact me

the next week Friday Scheduling team asks me to confirm my availability and they fly me in next week for interviews

I met with 4 different people as per the schedule. Lunch was provided

Then after the 4th round I was about to leave as I was done for the day when the 1st interviewer came and told me that the Dept Director will also like to meet me.

That was the first sign which I thought that its a positive sign

Met the director and then post interview she walked me to the door and said the HR will reach out to me in 2 next weeks

Interview Questions

• 1st Round was basic HR questions

2nd Round - with Hiring Manager was a regular interview with all basic questions as to what I am doing at the my current role and how will I fit in their requirement

3rd Round was an Onsite Interview with 4 people:-

Round 1: Technical round where they try to judge technical skill set depending on the requirement of the role (For this role: It was nice to have technical skill set understanding of basis JAVA and SQL)

Round 2: Behavioral Scenario based questions and they try to pick your mind as to how will you perform in different scenarios (No answer is right or wrong its just they want to learn about you that how you think and plan and approach Tip: Use STAR Approach it helps)

Round 3: met with Manager and similar to round 2 with some behavioral questions and gave me a walk thru of their process as well and the org structure ( It is very important that you portray your customer facing skill set as that is the key requirement for this role)

(Tip: If they feel that you may not be a good fit for the role then they will ask you that you are done for the day and round 4 doesn't happen)

LUNCH

Round 4: Conference Call with 1 of the Partners and she also tried to pick my brain, i shared my experiences and she gave me few scenarios and situations and wanted to know my approach and what I would have done good or better in it.

Then as I was about to leave the 1st interviewee came in the room and asked me to wait for a little while as the Director wanted to meet me
      (Tip: If you get this call for any of the role you are interviewing 99% chances the job is yours and you will get an offer unless you screw)

Round 5: She gave me few details about the expectations and ethics and culture at Microsoft and asked me culture related questions like my style of working etc
      1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview followed up by final round in NY office. Consisted of 4 interviews back to back.
    I was told I would hear back the next week and was instead left in the dark for 2 weeks with the recruiter ignoring my emails/calls. Finally received a generic email saying I did not receive the job with zero explanation as to why or why I was being ignored all week. Extreme lack of professionalism.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online, initial contact from MS Recruiter, phone screen a week later.
    Phone screen with Senior TAM member. Asked to describe TAM members job responsibilities.
    No technical questions or IT management questions asked. The rest of the time was spent listening to the Senior TAM talk about his daily tasks and how busy he is. At the end was told to follow up with recruiter 5 days later for decision. Sent Thank you Email after the interview and followed up 5 days later and this is where everything turned very unprofessional.
    1st follow up - Told to contact another recruiter since he is no longer working on the role.
    2nd follow up - Told by the second recruiter that she will let me know by end of week and that my candidacy is still being considered.

Complete radio silence for a month, then out of the blue an email stating we regret to inform you.
    I understand not being selected but waiting a month and a half to let you know left a very bitter taste in my mouth. But again this is Microsoft...

Search Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA) in December 2015.

Interview

5 interviews hiring for more than one position. You and other candidates take turns interviewing (like speed dating). Positions in various locations. You could be interviewing with a hiring manager or someone who is currently in your position. Ask plenty of questions. It's important to show your interest in technology along with curiosity and willingness to learn. Be prepared. Know about the position and the company. Very conversational interviews. Definitely not intimidating at all.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied on the site and based on my resume I was contacted to do a phone interview for the TAM & AC roles. It took a couple of months to setup a time for the phone interview which was pretty basic without any technical questions mostly behavior stuff. The next time I was contacted was about 3 weeks later and I was told that I would be moving on to the final round of interviews and I would be flown to Charlotte, NC. The night before there was a mingle diner where you can meet the other people getting interviewed and the interviewers. When I interviewed there were 49 other applicants and we were split into 2 groups a morning and afternoon group. I was in the morning and had 4 interviews with 15 minutes in between each interview. Most of my interviews went over so I actually had 4 back to back interviews. These interviews really depended on the person who was interviewing. They will try and get to know you so be prepared to tell them about school and work experience. I had one role play where the guy interviewing me asked for me to walk through how to handle an angry customer. You will be asked to give a presentation about anything you are passionate about, this presentation is done during one of your interviews but you wont know which until it happens. About a week later I got the phone call offering me the position. The whole interview process took about 3 months, my first recruiter was not very knowledgeable since she was a third party recruiter but once I got the Microsoft recruiters assigned to me they were very helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Gainesville, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter after being passed my resume from another recruiter. Set up the first interview for about a month after I was originally contacted. Communication with the recruiter was great leading up to the interview. First interview was easy, all behavioral questions and the typical questions you'd hear from a big company. Interview went really well, interviewer was really nice and it seemed like we spent more time just talking about Microsoft and what she did as a TAM, she was very personable. Left the interview and began to wait. Communication with the recruiter nearly dropped off completely - I understand they were probably busy sorting through the applicants, but since I had other opportunities I was pursuing, I wanted to hear back sooner rather than later. Ended up waiting about 3 more months with no contact back from Microsoft or the recruiter until I received an email from them saying the position was filled already and that I would be notified if another spot opened up.

Interview Questions

• Why work for Microsoft? What experience do you have with Microsoft technologies? Tell me about an experience you had with a difficult customer or teammate and how it was handled. If you were in a gardening business and a client hired you, how would you interact with the client to deliver your services?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

It's all very conversational. I was hired through a Microsoft Academy of College Hire program. It's a very young and fun group. There were four back-to-back interviews. Started with introduction of yourself, your previous work experience and school project. Then they will ask what's your impression about Microsoft and what is your thought about the position you are applying for. What is your interest/ focus. They really care about what type of your personality is

Interview Questions

• general introduction. I was asked what to do if I'm about to pass deadline.   1 Answer

Premium Search Account Manager Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

The whole process was disorganized and multiple recruiters who didn't actually work for Microsoft. Not only did they wait until the day before to confirm the interview, but I also had to spend $341 on a train ticket that was never reembursed even after a recruiter offered to "fly me up to New York".