Microsoft Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,432 Interview Reviews

3.2

2,432 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On-campus screening interview. Was fairly casual, but also rushed since we only had a half hour or so. He talked to me about my resume and had me describe one of the projects I had listed.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that returns the nth prime number. For example, nthPrime(1) should return 2 since 2 is the first prime number, nthPrime(2) should return 3, and so on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Got a phone interview through a referral. I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a phone interview, which I had a few days later. The on-site interview was much more difficult.

Interview Questions

• Please delete a given node from a sorted singly-linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone screening followed by an on site interview. Company pays for flight, meals, and lodging to Seattle for the interview, onsite interview consists of 3-5 interviews with a lunch with one of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Find the closest common ancestors to 2 nodes in a n-ary tree.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was a 30-min interview which consisted of behavioral and technical questions.
    Since there were both types, even though the difficulty was not great, it always seemed like there was not enough time.

Interview Questions

• Reverse words in a sentence.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Career fair, talked with recruiter, liked my resume, got an email and scheduled a phone screening with puzzles and simple theoretical questions
    then had an 3 on-site interviews at their branch in Cambridge

Interview Questions

• resume questions and alot of talking about projects I have done in detail   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interviewing with Microsoft left a bad taste in my mouth. I think it was mainly because of the fact that they gave a take home assignment, which took candidates' time, but didn't seem to adequately winnow down the applicant pool before disseminating the assignment. They were extremely professional and I didn't have to deal with recruiters, but instead dealt with the team itself. But I feel as though they're wasting candidates' time, and were not exactly transparent about the fact that they were dealing with such a large applicant pool.

The first interview was a case. The second round was a take home test about the smartphone industry. The next round would have been an onsite, but I didn't make it that far. Obviously they gave a bunch of candidates the assignment. In the rejection email they said they had high interest, from both internal and external candidates. So, basically they gave like 10-30 candidates a test only to waste their time. Internal candidates likely were at an advantage to begin with. I think there should perhaps be a separate process for internal vs. external. They should look at internal candidates first, and if they don't fit the role, only then should they look at external candidates. Having internal and external candidates in the same applicant pool is a mistake.

To add insult to injury, they said I have the skillet they're looking for, but they're going to go with people that have more extensive tech/strategy experience. Which is contradictory, no? At the end of the day Microsoft shouldn't waste people's time with a take home assignment if they haven't even done an adequate job of narrowing the applicant pool. It would be one thing if this assignment was done at the beginning or even the end. But it was done in the middle. It lacked transparency and candidates deserve better. They shouldn't be required to invest time in an assignment, with the applicant pool still being relatively large at that stage. A more extensive case might have been more fitting for the second phase of the interview. Maybe use a take home assignment for the final stage of the process, when candidates are going for the onsite. Then they can present their findings during the course of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a tech trend and its trajectory 5 years down the line.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Was expedited to final round because of special circumstances. Standard MSFT on-campus interview. 3-5 interviews, all technical. They flew me out and put me up Bellevue. Had the freedom to select date and duration of stay. Was given a budget for travel, food, and sightseeing. They made it easy.

Interview Questions

• Standard data structures, logic, sometimes open-ended questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for an hiring event organized by one of the groups in Microsoft. Overall very smooth interview experience, first I was asked to complete an 1 hour online test, and following that I attended an onsite event.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Ann Arbor, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

It was a Skype Call. They send you an email to schedule the interview with the recruiter and everything was done by voice. I did not really like the fact that I was not able to see the face of who I was talking to.

Interview Questions

• If you could just take 1 object what it would be?

What technologies are the most important for humanity?

Tell me about the project in which you put the most effort.

Tell me about your favorite project and why is it your favorite.   Answer Question