Microsoft Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

2,891 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mission Viejo, CA).

Interview

Met recuriter at job fair. Had on campus interview within a week with current employee, was a developer. Talked about projects I had worked on and my experience, answered questions about Microsoft. Couple weeks later received an email stating I had an interview at Microsoft in Mission Viejo. Flight was cancelled due to weather, ended up interviewing over skype with 4-5 employees on 2 teams at location. Asked to solve problems by each.

Interview Questions

• Implement Quicksort. After implementing, implement a version that takes less space complexity (2 pointer quicksort. )   Answer Question
    • If there is a file spread across 100 machines with x amount of storage and some duplicates, how can you remove duplicates?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

It was a straight forward interview like other tech companies. Started with a technical phone screen and was called onsite. CTCL, glassdoor, (basic data structures, algos, design) would do it.

Interview Questions

• Design question can be pretty challenging based on the seniority you apply for.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied through a referral. Was flown to Seattle for a day. Four interviews, 2 technical, 2 more of behavioral. Microsoft is a decisive company, one side of it is the vibrant company trying to zoom into the next gen world, another side is a lagging huge dinosaur and you can see both of those all the way from interview to on boarding.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Long, difficult, but well thought out. They did a great job of digging down into the actual details of my background and experience. I didn't get an offer, but it was a good process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

When I applied, I was told that I was the first and candidate of choice to initiate team activities. A typical first time hiring review is normally very detailed in demonstrating core skills.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The whole process was good. Standard Tech screening first then a technical panel interview with 4 engineers - VERY TOUGH, they grilled me!!! After the panel interview i had a face-to-face with hiring manager and another Field Engineer manager on the phone, that went well and i was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• I interviewed for a technical position so all questions were technical in regards to the technology i was going to support.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Sr. Software Engineer position in azure group and got a call within a month. The recruiter arranged for a phone interview which consisted of couple of technical questions which I answered perfectly within an hour. Everything went well from my end but to my disappointment I did not hear back neither from the recruiter nor the interviewer. I have interviewed for more than 5 times and did really good in almost all of them but no response whatsoever. I just don't get how things roll in this company! No communication or feedback, an absolute disrespect for candidates time. What kind of insecure people are interviewing candidates here? I hope the manager or a shadow person was present with the interview so as to minimize such bias. I hope this actually is taken up by the HR and good talent is not lost due to some insecure people at the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

First recruiter contacted me and asked me for availability to talk for 30 min. After that schedule d technical skype chat with senior software engineer.Started interview explaining about the team and the projects they have.Asked me to talk about what I am doing in my current company.After that started two coding question.Solved the problems but unfortunately I think they thought I have less experience.Recruiter said will be in touch with you with some other opportunities.

Interview Questions

• write a method to return the duplicate in a integer array   2 Answers
    • write a method to return six strong frequencies among group of radio stations(group is something like there is no end for that)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was an interesting experience. The interviewers are quite smart. They will study your resume before coming into the room. I had a total of 5 rounds though I was told 3 - which is supposed to be a good sign but I got a reject and the final interview was really meaningless. My interviewer, the manager, was texting all the time while interviewing me and while I was coding on the whiteboard. That really brought me down and made me nervous which I didn't happen to be all day.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

I got an interview opportunity at their campus recruiting event. The interviewer seems a little unprepared, and the conversation was a little awkward because I felt like the interviewer don't care at all and he was just doing this job so that he could get home early.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a thread and a process?   1 Answer