Microsoft Manager of Finance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Manager of Finance Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2016

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by on site interviews.
    Flew in the day before, had 6 interviews in one day.
    I am used to having several meetings a day, so no big deal, but it may be tiring for some folks.
    One of the interviewers was condescending, saying I should be prepared to work with a lot of smart people. Given that I work in a very successful organization, my facial expression couldn't fake my displeasure. I most likely blew the interview here.
    Interviewers were not prepared for some questions I had about strategy and the company overall.
    Overall the process went smooth.
    Two weeks later I send a follow up email and was informed I was not selected 2 hours later.
    I really think HR folks should be more concerned about giving feedback. Please be professional and provide results in a timely manner.

Interview Questions

• What relevant thing you did in the past that made a difference?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work in his position, why leave company X?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied through university / campus. Process took 3 weeks. One 45 minute interview in round one - focused on behavioral / fit and technical. Technical was very basic - brush up your accounting and you should be good. In 2 days, learned I had been invited for final round in Redmond, WA. It was a super day. had a reception dinner the night before and then 4 rounds of interviews each lasting 45 min.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions were usual. great emphasis on gauging your interest in technology and in Microsoft throughout the interview process. Also had one small case study - what factors would you consider for X?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

1 on On-Campus and 1 fly-in. For the fly-in, you go through at least 4 back-to-back interviews. You fly-in the day before and have an option to stay an extra night and go sightseeing in Seattle. Questions are a mix of behavioral and case style interviews. I had a great overall experience.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Loop style. Fairly casual. Not aggressive. It depends a lot in what context you got contacted. The hiring manager reached out to me about this role vs me actively seeking the role. In more rigorous interviews, they may ask questions about financial terminology, familiarity with the company's financial reports, etc. Often there is one person who is there to talk to you in a relaxed setting and answer your questions about the company and role.

Interview Questions

• Fairly basic interview questions (describe your financial analysis experience, describe a time in XYZ situation, describe your cross-functional work experience, etc)   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The first round interview was on campus. It was 45 minutes in length. Very conversational, and the interviewer only asked 2~3 questions. I think the interviewer already decided whom he likes even before the actual interview takes place. I think he really likes my background, so he didn't ask difficult questions that he asked my other friends who also interviewed with him.

Interview Questions

• What is the one thing that you would change about Microsoft?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

University recruiting resume drop, One phone interview where you could specifiy what area within Finance you were interested in, four on-site interviews (1 hour each) with two Finance groups, interviews were on Friday, decision on Monday

Interview Questions

• Reportin questions, challenges for Microsoft going forward, how can Finance help, why MS, lots of behavioural   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Had two phone interviews and then the on-site loop of 5 interviews plus a final interview with the head of the group. The first phone interview was a screener with the recruiter, second was with the hiring manager of the group I would be joining. Both were situational, behavioral, no real technical questions just tell me about your work experience and what about Microsoft/this role attracts you/why are you leaving your current company.

The loop was a bit different. The first interview was with the most junior member of the team which was the most technical. He wanted to know if I'd done my homework about himself and the team (luckily I looked them up in linkedin beforehand). His first question was "what do you know about me?". And then some additional technical questions about the role . He was friendly and gave feedback when I asked for it.

I went to lunch with the hiring manager. She told me it was more a technicality because she had already gotten a good feel for me over our phone conversation, but she still wove in situational questions over the meal. It was slightly awkward to eat and talk - so I didn't end up eating very much but it was a long day so keep this in mind.

The rest of the interviews seemed like technicalities. People were friendly and asked about my resume, why msft, only one of them in a different building was slightly stressful. This person kept firing questions at me one after the other - things like "what are your strengths/weaknesses", "tell me about a difficult manager you had", "tell me about a project you worked on where you had to gain buy in from and engage different parties" and he didn't allow me to ask questions.

Overall I liked the process. I liked the fact that I was able to meet the full team I'd be working with. I got a feel for the young fun culture of the company and also how hard working everyone is. The final interview with the head of the team was more informational. She was selling me on why I should choose Microsoft and trying to prepare me for a higher workload in her group and to make me fully aware of the limited scope of the role. I found her friendly however, approachable and real. She did 90% of the talking.

It helped me to have other interviews lined up in the pipeline with other competitors. Also having offers, even from lesser companies. In the end I told Microsoft if their offer was competitive enough I wouldn't interview with Amazon and they came in very competitive.

Interview Questions

• Tell me all the cogs used for an Xbox live video purchase.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate slightly on signing bonus and signing stock, but not on base salary. The original offer was competitive and they were fair with me even though I told them my current salary. I believe this was because I was interviewing with Amazon as well and had another offer from a different company. If i could do it again, I wouldn't tell them my current salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Well organized. Aggressive interviewers. Company is too large to make any radical changes to its business model. Likely turning more into a GM or IBM longer term. Great experience for College Grads just out of school. Too top heavy at Director and above. More meetings then actual work being performed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one of your biggest professional failures and what did you learn from the experiences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter who setup a 1hr detail phone screen with the hiring manager. Being from out of town I was flown in and put up at local Redmond hotel for the night. The next day I went through an interview loop of six folks all within my org. Last interview was with the most senior person. The following week I received an offer via e-mail.

Interview Questions

• I did get various business scenario questions specific to my role as well as company strategy type questions. Important to be well versed in company "current events" to demonstrate a degree of curiosity and passion.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Interview

On-campus college interview, followed by an invitation to interview on Microsoft campus.

Interview Questions

• How would you evaluate offers from Google, MS and McK?   Answer Question