Microsoft Marketing manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2017

3.3

114 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Here's my experience with Microsoft: I was contacted by recruiting, and after a 30 minutes phone conversation, the recruiter told me she was going to have me come in for interviews. We even discussed compensation, benefits, etc. so she really got my hopes up. Then I waited...After almost 2 weeks, I sent an e-mail to the recruiter to follow up. She responded she was sorry for the delay and that she would get back to me very soon. I waited another week, and sent her another e-mail. This time no response from her. I waited another 3 days, and this time I sent an e-mail to the hiring manager (I had met with him previously for an informational). He then responds he just filled the position, and tells me he is sorry the interview loop didn't happen. Totally unprofessional !!

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I interviewed with 5 people that I would be working with. They all had different approaches to the interview. But each took a working session and discussion approach about the problems and opportunities they face rather than a typical interview. It was very laid back and everyone was very positive. Most of the questions I was asked were to probe deeper into a thought or a solution I presented.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked typical interview questions. It was more of a brainstorm session.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Yes, definitely negotiate your total compensation package.

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Initial first round interview with single person, followed by second round interview loop with 4-5 people, mix of behavioral and mini-case questions including issues topical to the tech industry, microsoft business, and marketing fundamentals.

Interview Questions

• which product in our portfolio would you divest?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

Several round of interviews:
    1. Phone call with HR
    2. Skype with senior manager from the field
    3. Skype interview with 3 senior managers from different field
    4. Skype interview with 2 GM of countries which the role is covering

Interview Questions

• 1. Strengths and weakness and how am I dealing with weakness.
      2. Questions about the situations:
      - Successful project
      - Unsuccessful project
      - Team leadership
      - Cross functional leadership   1 Answer

Market Research Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was consistent with the interview process I have experienced at other large tech companies. I applied online through the MS careers site. I was contacted over email by a recruiter who scheduled a phone interview. That was followed up with a phone call with the hiring manager, then an onsite interview. The onsite interview was all day, 5-7 in person interviews with various manager and director level people. Be sure to get a schedule from your recruiter if you make it to this point - mine promised to sent me a schedule the day before but I didn't receive one. Turns out that would have been handy since no one else knew who was supposed to interview me after them or at what time (I had a couple of 30 min breaks). I rolled with it but I would have much preferred to know when to expect breaks, lunch, etc.!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with a coworker. How did you handle it in the moment, and how did you deal with it later on?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about some ways you've been innovative in your research.   1 Answer
    • How do you determine what's most important when you're dealing with thousands of different data variables?   1 Answer
    • There were a lot of behavioral / situational questions. If you have the experience, you won't have much trouble answering the questions - just relax. :)   1 Answer

Channel Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I thought the whole process was very smooth and was clearly defined ahead of time. The recruiter was very helpful making sure I was prepared for the process. The actual series of interviews was very rigorous, but allowed me to learn about the team, culture, and expectations in order to make an informed decision.

Interview Questions

• Series of behavioral questions to see how I would approach different problems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through on campus interview

actually not technically selected for first round, was originally an "alternate" so had to wait until all the first round people picked their times and if any were left then i got to pick my time

First round interview went great: super casual and friendly woman who was an alum from my school. Regular interview questions and then marketing specific ones

Heard back a few weeks later (maybe 2.5), flown out to final round in Redmond, WA
    Was an amazing experience everyone was super happy to see you there. Also tons of other groups e.g. Finance also interviewing that day (was their second biggest Interview day of the year). Everyone in the marketing cohort had 3-4 interviews with senior people directly from the teams who wanted to hire them (e.g. Surface team, Xbox team, windows 10 team). The interviews that say depend on who you get; some interviewers run it like a casual conversation, and others ask marketing specific and brain teaser questions, so prepare for both types

Basically, know why you want to work in tech and particularly at Microsoft, especially if you don't have a tech background. As long as your confident, creative, and prepared, you'll be fine!

Interview Questions

• -Whats something marketed well / poorly
      -Microsoft product that's marketed well
      -Name an object you use every day and how would you market it to your college campus
      -Your resume doesn't look like it should be here. Why Microsoft and why marketing?
      -X company had a revolutionary technology but growth has stagnated for the past 6 months. They surveyed their users and still can't figure out what's going on. What's the problem and how would you fix it?
      -How many ice cubes are in Redmond right now?
      -Whats your favorite design tool and how would you market it?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Typical Microsoft Interview, where you meet 3-4 people asking you about your background and then questions about how your past experience would apply to the current role. Once you make it through the first round of interviews you usually get send on to meet with an executive on the team. If you pass you usually get an offer.

Interview Questions

• When would your manager review your work as successful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (New Orleans, LA) in October 2016.

Interview

Good interview process. Well organized. I walked away feeling that in addition to the actual position I was interviewing for, that the interviewers would be "contacts" in the future.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone screen from recruiter followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Notified a few days later re availability for all-day in-person interviews (4-6 1:1 interviews) in Redmond. Tough interview and thoughtful questions. Best thing was that everyone was really nice and professional. Recommend preparing thoroughly based on job description. Suggest wearing dressy business casual (no suits, but no jeans). Overall process from online application to outcome was about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Should you practice before your interview?   1 Answer