Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

3.4

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair and was emailed that I had an on campus interview a couple days later. The on campus interview was 30 min and the interviewer made me feel very comfortable

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Didn't hear anything back after a good experience with the recruiter at the engineering career fair in the fall, but after meeting with some Microsoft reps at a Women in CS conference in February, I was encouraged to reach out to my campus recruiter again with my updated resume. I sent it and got a reply back in hours as well as an on-campus interview!
    Met with a dev who's been at the company for 19 years and graduated from my alma mater. Friendly and very dad-like. Was expecting at least one coding question or questions based on my resume (or courses that I had taken) but a lot of emphasis on networks, for some reason.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Had an on Campus interview that consisted of a single design question.

Next was a Onsite in Redmond which featured a full day (9am till 6pm) with 5 interviews and a multitude of questions.

First interview was design based

Second interview was behavioral and asked a few technical design questions

Third interview was a "lunch" interview in which the interviewer ate and I was grilled on whiteboarding questions and design questions. Looking back I wish I had taken more time to eat as after this interview I really lost steam.

Fourth interview was technical and design based. Asked about data and data trends and asked to design a toolbar.

Next i was informed that I had a 90 minute break before my final interview, gave me time to walk around the campus and get my wits together

Fifth interview was the team manager and was behavioral, technical, and design focused. Ended up going for about an hour and a half and was absolutely exhausting. Looking back I honestly dont even remember some of the answers I gave because I was so exhausted. Figured that i blew it here and was convinced I didnt get the job.

Two days later I got a call from my recruiter and was thrilled to hear that I got the position.

Program Manager II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 rounds of interviews starting at 9am. 4 interviews were 1 hour each, there was a 1.5 hours lunch interview with 2 people. It was rather relaxed and focused. Many of the questions had to do with decision making in stressful and ambiguous situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • Technical questions regarding knowledge of the industry and current trends (malware role)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very difficult to negotiate. I ended up taking what they offered.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First HR phone screen with standard questions. Then hiring manager phone interview for 40 minutes. Onsite interview was arranged with 5 people. The hiring manager was the last one in the process and interviewed me for more than one hour.

Interview Questions

• General program/project management questions, and behavior questions.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Everyone I spoke with during the phone interview process was very professional and welcoming. The process was well managed with consistent communication. I had a phone interview with the Recruiter and Hiring Manager. The Recruiter was extremely gracious when communicating that I would not be moving forward with the next steps of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with program budgets and financial modeling.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

Very smooth, I was in touch with a recruiter and he helped me throughout the entire process. He helped me schedule my interviews and answered all my questions. He was able to work with my fairly busy schedule.

Interview Questions

• Questions that tested my knowledge on product design, understanding customer needs, technical background, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

1. Met recruiter at University campus career fair
    2. Had university campus on-site interview for about 30-45 minutes
    3. Flown out to Redmond, WA for a full day of interviews.
    4. Received candidacy update one week later

There is no correct method for preparing for this interview. It was evident that Microsoft valued unique answers and perspectives. However, it is fundamental to have solid problem solving, analytical, technical (coding), and 'people' skills for this position. No offer, but a great experience for future interviews to come as I graduate college.

If flown out to Redmond, prepare for a long day of interviews. I started the morning very solid with my answers, but became slower and tired in my last round where I was asked very important questions. Practice talking *a lot*.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview, followed by fly out rounds with multiple teams on main campus. Each team had different questions and assessed different aspects - coding skills (minimal focus), design skills (heavy focus), systems and processes (medium focus)

Interview Questions

• Brain teasers (light bulbs in the room, switches outside)
      Estimation (how many red cars in Chicago)
      Design - e.g an elevator system for a high rise
      Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

The recruiter was very distracted and took several other calls (from other people) while on calls with me placing me on hold several times through the two week process. The interview process was classic old school Microsoft, too long, too many people and it confusing since no one could answer questions about the hiring manager and the role itself except to say many comments about a would-be peer who is a rockstar. The biggest challenge with this interview is that it was not focused on the role itself, it was more about my past and future rather than what it took to perform in the current opportunity, which was not well described verbally nor did the interview really focus on the written job description.

Interview Questions

• Describe a ideal/dream day at work, describe a time when you were and were not successful at driving feedback into the product group, do you think social media should be considered for gathering feature related feedback, have you ever been a feature PM in your past work experience.   1 Answer