Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

89 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

MACH- TAM, CONSULTANT, PROJECT MANAGER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met with a recruiter on campus. First interview was a one on one interview for about 45 minutes. I thought interview went well with her. She was friendly, nice interviewer. Two weeks later, informed having an interview in Bellavue, WA. Given a month to prepare. First interview with two people went well. But the second one, I think my nerves got the best of me. However I was one of the few with four people to interview me. Most had two interviews with three people. Interviewed with a current TAM, who questions were a bit tough. I wish I had only three people to interview, because a little bit easier to interview. The current TAM new at asking questions I think, because some of the questions were not questions I had experienced in terms of behavioral questions. He seemed new at asking questions.

According to the people at Microsoft you are considered the best of the best and just want to confirm that. Relax if you can. I was excited to be there, that I think the excitement came thru as nerves. Overall friendly group, but mostly behavioral questions that I had not seen here when researching or encountered before. Was told last minute only have one location to choose from for the MACH program and that definitely considering for the TAM role. It was the place near or outside of Dallas. I am not interested in the Dallas location. Usually allow to choose from three offices. I wanted to go Bellavue, WA. Recruiters let you know within 48 hours of the interview if Microsoft will give you an offer. Recruiter emailed me to let me know Microsoft did not give me an offer. May request to know in advance, also given a sheet to fill out what you would like your start date to be either in Febuary or July. The recruiter cannot provide any feedback on the interviews due to legal issues is what was told to me.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult person. What did you do ? How did you handle it?
      Do you know anyone at the company?
      If you had to choose between loyalty and losing a million dollars in regards to customers, what would you choose? Why?
      Why should I not hire you?
      Why Microsoft?
      If you receive a problem from your customers, what do you do with the information? Are you ok with being in a confidential area, no facebook, no phones, or any social media?
      If you saw Satya, the CEO, what advice would I give him on improving Microsoft?Like what would you tell him to make his company better? What advice would you give him about running Microsoft?
      What products would you like to improve and why? what are some of your dislikes about Microsoft?
      ( Im not a CEO, so I am not sure how to answer that question)
      If you see a drop in revenue, how do you respond?
      How do you priortize your customers?
      Why did you go back to school?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied via the MSFT careers site, and then was referred by an FTE. Since I had an internal referral, they bypassed the phone interview and I went straight in for a full round of in-person interviews; I interviewed with five people in five separate one-on-one sessions over the course of about seven hours. Interviewers consisted of the hiring manager, the skip-level manager (director), an individual in another group that partners closely with their group, and a couple teammates the successful candidate would work with. Every single individual was very nice, seemingly genuine, obviously smart, and very excited about the company and direction their group was headed. They were clearly focused on ensuring they picked the right person to accomplish their specific goals.

Interview Questions

• All interviews were truly very conversational. Each interviewer started with something like, "Tell me about yourself; describe your background and what you're looking to do next." They also asked, "Why Microsoft? Why this particular role/team?" After that, a question would spark a real back-and-forth conversation with situational/behavioral questions laced in to keep it going. Go in prepared for this type of situation. Be absolutely genuine, and just have meaningful conversations; don't fabricate stories or exaggerate your skills or experience.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

They were doing mass interviews in Austin - looking for a variety of students to fill front facing technology roles. I was first interviewed at a career fair which was just a resume interview. Then they flew me to Texas for a series of interviews (3 total) one of which included a presentation on anything you were passionate about.

Interview Questions

• What kind of software would you use for project management?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Arrived 15 minutes early
    Waited in the waiting room for about 10 minutes
    He arrived and we began early
    We started with a design question
    Then we moved on to behavioral questions and past experiences
    I asked him a few questions towards the end about his own role and life at Microsoft

Interview Questions

• How would you design a cellphone?

How would this design change depending on the target demographic?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was based on a lot of networking. A friend at Microsoft that I've worked with recommended me in, and a couple others endorsed me. I was contacted the next day. In total, I had an HR screen interview, three tech screen interviews packed into three hours one evening, and a hiring manager interview. All by Skype. It was actually enjoyable. They ran like conversations. Everyone was reasonable, calm and mature. The process flew by in about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• Talk to me about the Microsoft tools you've used to manage projects.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a difficult customer engagement.   Answer Question
    • Talk to me about an organizational change you've led.   Answer Question
    • I was given a link to a video. After watching, I was asked to describe how I would use this technique in a current project. In a way, I already had been.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was pretty streamlined. They gave me a solid, reasonable offer. I accepted.

Dev Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted via e-mail to set up a phone interview. Provided availability, but contact for interview was Out of the Office. When he returned we set up a time. Phone interview was OK normal background questions, scenarios, what can you bring to the table type questions. I felt it went well asked about timeline to fill was told 2-4 weeks. Then never heard from them again. I sent normal thank you e-mail and followed up at the 2 and 4 week mark with the contacts I had and heard nothing. Not even a canned e-mail that they have moved on, which should be a basic thing once you have been contacted and had a phone interview.

I really expected a lot more professionalism from Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• What are some challenges dealing with remote teams and how do you overcome them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online through the company website upon employee referral. I received an email from a corporate recruiter within several hours and we set up time for an initial phone interview the following week. The interview was very basic and informative and the recruiter provided me with a good overview of what the hiring process would entail for this particular role.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Microsoft?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Well done. Very smooth and great follow up with interviewer. First, there was a phone screen and then a follow up for next steps. Next steps were to come in for an in person interview.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Had a first round interview on campus where the interviewer thought I was interviewing for Software Engineering and asked coding questions. I was stumped and the interview was extremely frustrating for both of us. At the end of the interview I asked about Project Management and he was not aware that that was what I had applied for and asked if my recruiter knew that my interest was in Project Management. The process was extremely disorganized and I was disappointed in the recruiting team for interviewing me for the wrong position.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interview was setup by my company for the role.
    Interview type:
    Techno functional interview questions.

Interviewer wanted to make sure that he is getting what he wanted or what the project required.

It was a 1:1 session of approx. 30 minutes.

The interview was well paced and all scenarios starting from Project Mgmt. to Technical and process areas were touched during the interview.

They were keen on seeing the approach that is being taken to approach any problem and made sure that I am hands on as well. So that I can contribute as and when assignment demanded.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me something about yourself.
      Q: Current project tasks & challenges.
      Q: Any difficult scenario that you faced and how it was handled.
      Q: Further scenario based questions.   1 Answer