Microsoft Senior Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2017

3.5

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Here's my experience with Microsoft: I was contacted by recruiting, and after a 30 minutes phone conversation, the recruiter told me she was going to have me come in for interviews. We even discussed compensation, benefits, etc. so she really got my hopes up. Then I waited...After almost 2 weeks, I sent an e-mail to the recruiter to follow up. She responded she was sorry for the delay and that she would get back to me very soon. I waited another week, and sent her another e-mail. This time no response from her. I waited another 3 days, and this time I sent an e-mail to the hiring manager (I had met with him previously for an informational). He then responds he just filled the position, and tells me he is sorry the interview loop didn't happen. Totally unprofessional !!

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

I had two pre-screen phone interviews with the recruiters. After that I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager had me create a technical assessment and submit it before I was approved for an in-person interview. Microsoft arranged the travel and hotel. They tell you to dress like you normally do.

The in-person interviews took about 6.5 hours. I met with 5 people. Any interviewer can reject you in the process and your interview chain will stop.

Interview Questions

• How to strategize the program I would run.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

Internal recruiter worked hard to find the right position after having received an internal recommendation. Cycle consisted of: Initial phone screen with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interview loop on campus. From first phone interview with hiring manager to offer letter was 12 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Initial offer was exactly as I'd talked to the recruiter about, yet negotiations were still allowed and expected. Quick resolution.

Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

Typical Msft loop. They ask questions but expect you to question them for more details. Looking for thought process. If you try to answer without having the right details, you will fail. Drill the interviewer to dive deeper into problem solving/situation questions.

Interview Questions

• If you were to try to sell this product to the CEO of X company, what would you say to them?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

At Microsoft, as a throwback to the good old days there is a draconian approach to interviews. They last a day and you meet with 5-6 people for an hour apiece. Those people get together and vote. The hiring manager then decides whether to move forward. If you do, you meet with the hiring manager, and then, if you pass, you often meet with their manager. The process takes all day. It can take months to get an interview and many more months to hear anything back if you are accepted. If you aren't accepted, you don't hear anything back. Not a really great experience. HR/recruiting is spread too thin to really be able to offer any insights or value.

Interview Questions

• For this role, the days of "trick" interview questions are over. The questions focus on your experience and value and seeing if you are fit for the team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

First, a third party recruiter contacted me and we talked for about 45 minutes. Then a Microsoft employee recruiter interviewed me for about 30 minutes. Then the hiring manager interviewed me. Then they flew both me and my spouse out for a two-day interview process.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were experienced based (tell me about a time when .....) or behavioral based (what would you do if...) Toughest question was when one of the interviewers started out the interview by telling me that he didn't think I was right for the job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the package was more than I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

It is an in person process of four plus people. The recruiter will set it up, then you get a list of a few people and times. You go to the reception and they will pick you up. Each person hands you off to another and you would wait in lobby. Assume they are talking about what to drill on. Also if you don't make it past lunch you probably do not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Dealing with ambiguity, times that conflicting business or resource issues. Also how did you get feedback and work with others. What you liked about past jobs, what you would do different.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very well organized team arranging the whole process from end to end. Very open to questions around how things work and very detailed description of the role and responsibilities and how I would be measured.

Interview Questions

• What would be the first four new initiatives you would do based on your knowledge of the product?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

met with 5 different people - some peers in team, others peers in different teams. If you get through these, you will meet a senior level person (the 'as appropriate') who will evaluate you for overall fit for Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• None difficult per se, just very behavioral in nature: "how would you size this market?", for example.   Answer Question

Negotiation

difficult to negotiate a lot on salary as they put you into a level band - but worth effort. Much more flexibility around 1-time expenditures, like signing bonus.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Interview

Sent resume through campus career fair, scheduled a on campus interview.