Microsoft Senior Finance Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Senior Finance Manager Interview Questions

3.4

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by on site interviews.
    Flew in the day before, had 6 interviews in one day.
    I am used to having several meetings a day, so no big deal, but it may be tiring for some folks.
    One of the interviewers was condescending, saying I should be prepared to work with a lot of smart people. Given that I work in a very successful organization, my facial expression couldn't fake my displeasure. I most likely blew the interview here.
    Interviewers were not prepared for some questions I had about strategy and the company overall.
    Overall the process went smooth.
    Two weeks later I send a follow up email and was informed I was not selected 2 hours later.
    I really think HR folks should be more concerned about giving feedback. Please be professional and provide results in a timely manner.

Interview Questions

• What relevant thing you did in the past that made a difference?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work in his position, why leave company X?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Had two phone interviews and then the on-site loop of 5 interviews plus a final interview with the head of the group. The first phone interview was a screener with the recruiter, second was with the hiring manager of the group I would be joining. Both were situational, behavioral, no real technical questions just tell me about your work experience and what about Microsoft/this role attracts you/why are you leaving your current company.

The loop was a bit different. The first interview was with the most junior member of the team which was the most technical. He wanted to know if I'd done my homework about himself and the team (luckily I looked them up in linkedin beforehand). His first question was "what do you know about me?". And then some additional technical questions about the role . He was friendly and gave feedback when I asked for it.

I went to lunch with the hiring manager. She told me it was more a technicality because she had already gotten a good feel for me over our phone conversation, but she still wove in situational questions over the meal. It was slightly awkward to eat and talk - so I didn't end up eating very much but it was a long day so keep this in mind.

The rest of the interviews seemed like technicalities. People were friendly and asked about my resume, why msft, only one of them in a different building was slightly stressful. This person kept firing questions at me one after the other - things like "what are your strengths/weaknesses", "tell me about a difficult manager you had", "tell me about a project you worked on where you had to gain buy in from and engage different parties" and he didn't allow me to ask questions.

Overall I liked the process. I liked the fact that I was able to meet the full team I'd be working with. I got a feel for the young fun culture of the company and also how hard working everyone is. The final interview with the head of the team was more informational. She was selling me on why I should choose Microsoft and trying to prepare me for a higher workload in her group and to make me fully aware of the limited scope of the role. I found her friendly however, approachable and real. She did 90% of the talking.

It helped me to have other interviews lined up in the pipeline with other competitors. Also having offers, even from lesser companies. In the end I told Microsoft if their offer was competitive enough I wouldn't interview with Amazon and they came in very competitive.

Interview Questions

• Tell me all the cogs used for an Xbox live video purchase.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate slightly on signing bonus and signing stock, but not on base salary. The original offer was competitive and they were fair with me even though I told them my current salary. I believe this was because I was interviewing with Amazon as well and had another offer from a different company. If i could do it again, I wouldn't tell them my current salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Well organized. Aggressive interviewers. Company is too large to make any radical changes to its business model. Likely turning more into a GM or IBM longer term. Great experience for College Grads just out of school. Too top heavy at Director and above. More meetings then actual work being performed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one of your biggest professional failures and what did you learn from the experiences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter who setup a 1hr detail phone screen with the hiring manager. Being from out of town I was flown in and put up at local Redmond hotel for the night. The next day I went through an interview loop of six folks all within my org. Last interview was with the most senior person. The following week I received an offer via e-mail.

Interview Questions

• I did get various business scenario questions specific to my role as well as company strategy type questions. Important to be well versed in company "current events" to demonstrate a degree of curiosity and passion.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Started with phone interviews with HR followed by over the phone interviews with hiring Manager and business partners. Total of 7 interviews. Most repeated question was why I was leaving my prior company.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected. Pretty run of the mill questions. Very friendly and they mostly wanted to know why I was leaving my prior company. Another topic was how I would deal with difficult business partners and influence without authority. They asked me to describe prior roles.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Pretty straigtforward. behavior questions and sometimes a brain teaser

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

Interview

Nothing special, the usual stuff. Phone call with the recruiter first, followed by the hiring manager, then came to on-site, met 5 people. Too long ago and don't remember the details.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

Got a phone call from MSFT recruiter and we chatted. I confirmed my interest and was set-up for a phone screen. Phone screen was about 45 minutes and consisted mostly of experience, resume questions.

Got invited back for an on-site interview. The on-site interview had 4 initial interviews but was added another interview with the manager of the hiring manager. The interviews were mostly fit questions with some situational scenarios (mainly looking on what you would do). There is an interview over lunch as well. Overall, it was a positive experience albeit a very long day.

Interview Questions

• How would you price the cloud service of MSFT?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

Recurter than a panel interview with 2 Directors ,Hiring manager and 2 peers. Interviews are 1 hour each and they take you to lunch. A lot of emphasis will be on chemistry aside from technical knowledge. they will also try to get you to explain your reason for wanting to work for MS and your reson for wanting to leave your current employer.

Interview Questions

• Techincal accounting questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. Offer made was final

Senior Finance Manager Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2016.

Interview

It is a video interview. Has 6 questions, more is about there culture and services. I applied for finance but it ask me lots of questions about marketing and how to deal with their customers. How to improve their consumer services. The time limit is 1 min, I found it is really difficult to answer one question only in 1 min.