Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,277 Interview Reviews

3.2

2,277 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview, which was very smooth. Asked 2 coding questions on a sheet of paper and was given a chance to ask the interviewer questions. Then flown out to do an on-site interview.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got referred to a specific team at Microsoft as New Grad hiring was halted for 2016. Talked to a manager on the phone for an hour, and was asked about my resume and did a interview question. Was flown to Seattle 2 weeks later and had an onsite interview with the team at Redmond. It consisted of 5 interviews with coding and culture-fit questions. I was at the Microsoft Campus from 9AM to 4:30PM. The process was nice, and the interviews were more conversational than say Google onsite interviews. I got a call 2 days later with an offer to join the team.

Microsoft enjoyed asking data structure questions with arrays, linked lists, strings, etc. Questions on graphs are said to be rare. Be prepared to answer any design questions, which may be follow up questions to coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on string traversal, arrays + math were common in my interview.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process was very smooth and it was a great learning experience. The interview was 4-5 rounds. Initially had a phone screening then got the onsite interview call from the HR within 3 days of the phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Find the longest palindromic sub-string. Reverse a linked list. Matching braces in a string, Design question on BST and OOPs concepts   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2017.

Interview

Had the phone interview with the BING team. Basically was a coding interview. First thing over phone is to open an online collaboration tool in order to see how you answer the question by writing the code. Asked a few background questions such as when will you graduate and then started to ask coding questions. You can answer in any programming languages you are familiar with. After that I got the time to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you grade your c++ level? From 1 to 10?   1 Answer

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had the interview on campus, the interviewer was really cool and friendly, went straight to business asking me about what language I liked best, then onto technical questions. I also asked about his intern experience and he shared his stories with me. He typed my responses the whole time which made me a little nervous, but he had to do that.

Interview Questions

• Merge two sorted linked list into one sorted one and what is the time and space complexity?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine currently working at Microsoft. I first did a 45 minute on-campus interview which consisted of one easy question plus some behaviorals. Unfortunately, Microsoft had fulfilled their hiring quota for the year, but a spot opened up in mid-December and I scheduled my on-site to be in January.

The on-site consisted of five interviews about an hour long each, with some standard data structures/algorithm questions plus one system design question. The fifth interviewer also asked some behaviorals. The algorithm questions were probably around LeetCode Medium level.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of n unsorted key-value tuples which are too large to fit in memory, return the k tuples with the greatest value where n is several orders of magnitude greater than k. This list may be dispersed across multiple machines.   1 Answer
    • Given a tree of order n which is neither complete or a search tree, write a function to construct a new tree of order m in-place. Memory usage is bound to 2 times the size of the tree. The new tree must be complete, and a node A cannot be a child of another node B in the new tree if A was an ancestor of B in the old tree.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of movement commands (up, down, left, right, undo previous action), write a function that returns the final (x,y) coordinate. Followup: how would you handle other kinds of commands and undoing them? What kind of design pattern is this?   1 Answer
    • Given two very large timestamped sorted log files that do not fit in memory (possibly on different machines), merge them in timestamp order. Provide some test cases.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you would design a data experimentation platform.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was messaged by Microsoft recruiters from Linkedin. They sent me an online assesment which you have to complete in 60 minutes. If you pass that you will be able to go on-site. I interviewed at Microsoft on campus in Redmond for a full day loop of 6 people. Everyone was super friendly and super excited about future of Microsoft under new CEO leadership.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA Contract. Algorithmic and Design Architecture Problems. They drill you deep on multi threading and distributed systems.   1 Answer

Interview

I've applied to FTE positions for years on their public site, and never gotten anywhere. However, this time I had an internal recommendation. So I went from applying to in an interview loop within a week. No phone screen or pre-screen of any sort.

The full interview process was comprised of 4 one hour interviews, with various Program Managers and Software Engineers. We did white board coding and talked a lot about my past work. They seemed to really appreciate that I have an UWA in the store already, with good reviews.

After the interview, it took about a month to get my offer, however, this was also over the Christmas holiday season. Some delays where due to approvers being on PTO.

Interview Questions

• I was sked a variety of questions surrounding the more advanced areas of C# and JavaScript.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received a generous offer, but not necessarily what I was hoping for. I made a counter offer, which was accepted same day. Overall very easy, and the recruiter was very helpful and understanding.

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a referral sent in by a friend and had a phone screen with the manager (mostly questions about the team and my past experience, followed by a quick coding question). Followed by about a month of inactivity and then was brought in to an onsite with 4 people (3 engineers, 1 manager) and a lunch at the cafeteria. Each round involved talking about personal projects and experience, followed by a technical question and a demo of the team's product in several cases. Surprised by a 5th interviewer pop up at the end who seemed unaware of me and was on his phone and walked off in the middle to get tea. Maybe this was a test to see how I would respond? Was called a couple days later with a negotiable offer, only minor problems with difficulty getting hold of the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Given 4 coins of values 1, 5, 10, and 20, find all the combinations of coins that can add up to K.   1 Answer
    • Create a button menu using Javascript.   Answer Question
    • Find ways to insert data collection in Javascript events.   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list, put all the odd elements in lexicographical order list in front of the even elements in lexicographical order in place.   Answer Question
    • Design chess using OOP.   Answer Question