Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,070 Interview Reviews

3.2

2,070 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Did an on-campus interview at my college then flown out to Redmond for on-site. Met with on-site recruiter at 9 AM and started interview at 10 AM. I tried getting water at Building 28 (where my interview was) but the receptionist was unhelpful and irritated with answering questions. She then started complaining about how the posters about giving on her building was crooked. Generally not a good vibe. Technical interviews started at 10 AM. I had a total of 4 technical interviews.

I noticed all the engineers had their own room and not an open floor plan. This shows me Microsoft isn’t very open. All the interviewers worked at Microsoft for at least 10 years and were unenthusiastic about their job. The way they talked about their job and presented themselves seems like their career only revolves around Microsoft and they have no plan to go somewhere else. They probably figured their career is stagnant and staying at Microsoft is the safest option. All interviewers didn't ask me about why Microsoft probably because they don't value a candidate's excitement to work at Microsoft. Instead, they asked why I chose computer science as a major. Overall experience was negative because interviewers weren't excited about their job. The reason interviewers worked there was because they needed a job. Even my recruiter didn't seem happy. I like to see people excited about their projects. I believe in Microsoft's mission but the people their are not very motivated.

Interview Questions

• Given root node to a binary tree, reconstruct it and return its root node   1 Answer
    • Given 2d matrix and a string. Write a function to check if string is contained in the 2d matrix   Answer Question
    • Run length encoding, write compression function given input array and output array of bytes   Answer Question
    • - Design an API for searching for contact information.
      - Choose a data structure for search function
      - Implement search function   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Sr. Software Engineer position in azure group and got a call within a month. The recruiter arranged for a phone interview which consisted of couple of technical questions which I answered perfectly within an hour. Everything went well from my end but to my disappointment I did not hear back neither from the recruiter nor the interviewer. I have interviewed for more than 5 times and did really good in almost all of them but no response whatsoever. I just don't get how things roll in this company! No communication or feedback, an absolute disrespect for candidates time. What kind of insecure people are interviewing candidates here? I hope the manager or a shadow person was present with the interview so as to minimize such bias. I hope this actually is taken up by the HR and good talent is not lost due to some insecure people at the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I took the hiring event onsite hosting by Microsoft for AI & R.
    Before interviewing with Microsoft, I already got offers from several other big companies among FLAG & UAD.

1st round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
    the AI team member looks like is an Indian, gave a question that I ever saw than know the answer. I tried to explain to him the optimized solution. He gave me several hints that turned out to be wrong (he admit it in the interview), and finally the result is NO probability because I don't take his wrong hint and stick to the right direction. That is ridiculous.

2nd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
    The AI team member looks like an Indian, gave me first question. I analyze the problem and break it down into pretty reasonable parts similar as divide and conquer. I gave her a runnable answer with Time n^2 Space 1, and evolute 4 rounds to optimize it further and further to the best solution I can get. Then she gave me second question, I provided my two runnable solutions but the interviewer ask for solution without any extra space( data structure) to use. That is tentatively make the problem harder, but finally I get the solution per her requirement.
    And finally, the result is NO for my fast problem solving and clear code and personality to get the fast and correct answer. Ridiculous!

3rd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer though not the best solution, YES

The team member looks like an Asian, gave me two questions, and I analyze the question and optimize it further and further with Time and Space Complexity until the interviewer say ok to my solution. Pretty similar progress as previous two round. The result is YES.

4th round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, best solution, YES

I am a senior software engineer with 5 years working experience, suppose this round is a system design question, but it is still a coding question.

The team member looks like a native American, gave me one question, and I analyze the question fist with pseudo code and then real code with best solution. The result is YES.

Microsoft was ever a great company with excellent reputation and branding. She was justified an interviewer fairly without politics. But now, I guess the reason I got NO from first two rounds even I perform better, is that I am not Indian (personality and culture fit). How could you imagine a candidate get two NO round, with offers from 4 big companies.
    Yes, culture fit, personality reason. Ridiculous!

My suggestions to Microsoft Hiring Event:
    1. add shadow to interviewer every round.
    2. take a picture of the coding and design result.
    3. check the performance of the candidate who got an offer from hiring event.

Interview Questions

• Good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO for culture fit.   5 Answers

Application

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. Setup a phone interview with 3 different groups and 2 groups wanted to bring me on site for a final interview.

On-Site Interview with Group # 1:
    Hiring manager expressed his desire openly to hire me at the end of an interview and he asked to meet the director (he was not on my interview schedule). It was a clear sign that they will extend me an offer based on hiring manager's feedback. But they disappeared completely after an on-site interview. Recruiter did not even bother to email me saying I am rejected. Totally unprofessional behavior after the interview.

Group # 2
    Hiring manager was totally unprofessional. After each interview with his team members, he asked me to wait outside conference room and checked with the interviewer how I performed. One of the interviewer did not even book a conference room for an interview, instead he walked me over their entire building to find a break room where we can sit and discuss. Eventually he found an open floor white board where tons of ppl walk by every minute and he asked me to write a code on that white board while other ppl walking by looking at what I am doing. Really? I work in Fortune 100 company but never seen this type of unprofessional interview. I totally hate the hiring manager and the group, so I was not expecting to get a positive response from this group.

Overall Microsoft has a tendency to interview tons of ppl but that does not necessarily mean they are actively looking to hire someone right away. So don't go with a feeling that you will get an offer if you are prepared. I think I did exceptionally well with Group # 1 (technically, behavior, leadership and management discussions) but they disappeared completely.

I had a totally unprofessional on-site interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Resume, Technical, Behavioral, Leadership and Management   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview. The interviewer asked some basic list reversal questions, didn't even look up at the board for my answers. Spent the whole interview checking email. Felt like he thought he had better things to do.

Research Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

First, one of the team members called me on the phone and we had a short chat about what the role requires and my resume. Then I had a standard phone call with an HR person who set up the technical phone interview as the next step. After this step, I got invited to go onsite. After five rounds of interview we called it a day, and within a week I received an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via employee referral process. After phone call with Dev Lead I managed to fly to Redmond. It was 3 round interview loop in one day, second day I received offer.

Interview Questions

• coding on white table (data structures), solution architecture related questions   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter for the SDE position for their hiring event. I was asked to register and will get the Online test in a week. It's been more than a month since than. I tried to reach the recruiter many times but won't respond back. Any other recruiters won't accept my application since I was contacted previously by other recruiter. I don't understand whether they really are looking for engineers or an applicant just suffers because of all this inside conflicts. It's not believable from such a good company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview, which was very smooth. Asked 2 coding questions on a sheet of paper and was given a chance to ask the interviewer questions. Then flown out to do an on-site interview.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got referred to a specific team at Microsoft as New Grad hiring was halted for 2016. Talked to a manager on the phone for an hour, and was asked about my resume and did a interview question. Was flown to Seattle 2 weeks later and had an onsite interview with the team at Redmond. It consisted of 5 interviews with coding and culture-fit questions. I was at the Microsoft Campus from 9AM to 4:30PM. The process was nice, and the interviews were more conversational than say Google onsite interviews. I got a call 2 days later with an offer to join the team.

Microsoft enjoyed asking data structure questions with arrays, linked lists, strings, etc. Questions on graphs are said to be rare. Be prepared to answer any design questions, which may be follow up questions to coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on string traversal, arrays + math were common in my interview.   2 Answers