Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 27, 2017

3.4

169 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Got referenced by a friend from MS. A recruiter quickly reached me with online screening test. After passing the test got an invite onsite. Had 5 interviews 1h each onsite. All of them were 1:1 with different engineers and managers. Whole process took 2 month, but could be faster, since I went for 2w vacation in the middle.

Interview Questions

• Basically all interviewers asked a generic question to design some generic system/service with further drilling down into particular details of the design and implementation of certain algorithms. Some examples are: Dijkstra shortest path; working with hashtables, unit testing.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. I had to give an online test consisting of 3 questions. After it got evaluated, I got onsite call. Before that, I got the feedback about my performance in the online test and the entire procedure of the onsite interview was explained. There were 30 candidates being interviewed for the position. On the interview day, the position and the role was explained and it was followed by 4 technical interview rounds of 45 minutes each, which consisted of 1 or 2 data structures and algorithm questions. The interviewers made sure we are working on the most efficient solution, if we were not on right track, they helped us in finding one. 2 days after the interview, I got another call from the recruiter who gave me the feedback of the interviews and asked for my feedback for the interview process. Overall it was a wonderful experience. Best thing I liked was prompt feedback on my performance.

Interview Questions

• Generally covers all data structures and Algorithm question types.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

There was a meet and greet at a restaurant in my area Microsoft paid for food and such. Got some emails and LinkedIn profiles soon enough got Phone interview.

Did well and went straight to the onsite.

Full day of interviews 4-5 people. The last interview is tentative with the hiring manager based on your performance during the interviews. If you get that far you can reasonably assume you'll get an offer.

Interview Questions

• NDA so can't share specifics but you might want to take a look at:

Trees (n-ary)
      Recursion
      Scalability and Memory Limits
      Algorithms
      Data structures
      Big O

If you pick C++ KNOW ALL THE STL DATA STRUCTURES. Know their average and worst case complexity for common operations. Be prepared to optimize or discuss trade offs in your design.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very compelling so I chose not to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

It was a smooth process. Approached by then on the phone first, then asked for an interview at a Hotel, and then presented with an offer about a week later than that.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Typical technical interviews, which you are asked to write code on white board to solve problems. After you finish your code, you may be asked for complexities and some follow-up questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. LCA in a binary tree
      2. Find the medium of two sorted array
      3. Find a number in a partially sorted matrix (the matrix is sorted column-wise and row-wise)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

As part of the process I had a screening process first. Couple of deigning questions around Big data since the team that interviewed is working on massive amount of data.

Interview Questions

• For a given sentence, write down an effective algorithm to reverse each word in the sentence.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews. One was technical. Flew out for on-site (Redmond). The campus is beautiful. The recruiter was professional. The team was friendly. I really had to ask a lot of questions to get a REAL understanding of the project. That's my only complaint of the interview. The accommodations are nice and the interview day wasn't as intense as other companies. I think moving around between offices helps relieve some stress between sessions.

All questions are technical, although a couple of the interviewers did ask non-tech (about my resume). The lunch interview was strange, definitely not just a sit-and-eat with light conversation.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Took online tech screening and was invited to recruiting event. There were four technical rounds. The recruiters are amazing and make sure you have a very good experience interviewing at Microsoft. Interviewers were very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• NDA. Questions were mostly on arrays and trees. Not very difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do not accept without negotiations. I was able to get a lot more money than they initially offered.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

On campus booth, quick chat.
    Then I did an on campus in person interview. We discussed my CV and my previous projects for a while then I was asked one question, which wasn't very hard.
    Then I did a full day in house interview in Redmond. I went through 5 interviews in total, they all followed the same pattern.
    - Discussion about CV
    - Describe your previous projects
    - Some included behavioral questions
    - One or two technical questions, Data structures and algorithms.
    - Some asked domain specific questions, like testing etc.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2015.

Interview

on campus interview, behavioral questions ( tell me about a time when you worked in a group ...) , background information, one technical question, 30 minutes total, easier than i was expecting, but have not heard back yet so i don't know if i will be invited on campus, review time complexity and data structures