Microsoft Solution Sales Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017

2.9

Account Executive and Sales Solution Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My first round was in November, it was a phone screen. Then they reached out to me asking whether I am still interested. I replied back, they did not respond. I kept on reaching out and finally they interviewed me in Atlanta. I had interviews with five people. Two of the interviewers were women and other three were men. First woman, she said she did not know anything about Microsoft till she met Microsoft's team at National Black. She did not know basic stuff about Microsoft such as Microsoft has no sales model when she was interviewing me. She was busy checking out my LinkedIn and asking about various LinkedIn contacts during the interview. Then, the next woman who interviewed me said "I am just trying to figure out who gave you an interview. You don't have sales experience. Who is the HR? I am sorry. I didn't mean it that way." I kept on getting insulted. Three men who interviewed me were nice.
    I am disappointed with the fact that these women lacked knowledge even though it is their job and they were rude. They did not even know they didn't have sales model. I was asking everyone because none of them knew what was going on. Finally, a sales director explained how Microsoft does not have a training program or sales model.

A lot of people at my school went through same horrible process. Microsoft has a reputation at my school that it is one of the worst places to work at. I am an MBA student from one of the top 15 schools.

Interview Questions

• 1. You come to work and it is your first day. There is no one in the office expect for few interns but nobody is there to tell you what to do. What will you do?
      Recruiter was expecting me to answer, I will go home. Apparently that is what she did.
      2. What do colors in Microsoft's logo represent?
      3. What is cloud?
      4. Who is our CEO?
      5. Various sales cases
      Answer Question

Sales Solution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Incredible experience with incredibly smart people. The interview was structured,well thought out and focused on getting the job done. The position is geared for a self-starter and someone who can work independently and get along well with others. Employee and customer relations are of the upmost importance They would expect complete accountability and want you to own your own business.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you'd be good for this position.   1 Answer

Solution Sales Profressional Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

1 round: on campus - talked about my experience, why sales, why Microsoft, how my skills are relevant for the job
    2n round (final) at MS location; 4 interviews; why MS, why sales, give me an example when you convinced a team, solved a big problem, etc/ Walk me through your resume, tell me more about the last job you did; how did you do it...

Interview Questions

Interview

well managed overall. was referred to hiring manager via a colleague, then applied online. initial screen by HR staffing, then hiring manager. loop was managed professionally. nice offices. being prepared helps. important to have 30-60-90 day plan of what/how you intend to do if hired, demonstrate how soon you will be productive.

Interview Questions

• Be ready to talk about why you want to join, and how do you see your future inside the company.   Answer Question

Solution Sales Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Solutions Sales Professional Process

1. Applied through an on campus recruiter
    2. Sent the CV and Cover letter, I believe tailoring the CL to their language and focusing on things I heard from on campus presentation assisted greatly
    3. 1st round - Mostly behavior questions, wanting to make sure you really experienced every story, kept asking questions about the information within every story to ensure its genuinely

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The communication was fine, it was lead by an outsourced head hunting company on behalf of Microsoft. The lady who was doing the recruiting was so keen on getting me to sign, it was too obvious she would get a good incentive out of it. She had a target to close this hire apparently, even if that meant not hiring the right person for the job

Negotiation

Compensation, allowances, and a 1-time joining bonus

Solution Sales Professional – Public Sector (Federal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my interview experience. It was unlike any other interview I had ever done. I was very impressed with the approachability, professionalism and knowledgeability of my interviewers, respective to their job roles.

I arrived in the morning and immediately had my first of there 1:1 interviews. This interview was open ended in nature, the interviewer asked me broad, open ended questions about my career goals, strengths and interest to get a general sense of my "inner workings" as a person. We discussed the requirements of a sales role in great detail and I was asked how I would handle several "real world" sales situations. This interviewer was very open and honest about what the position entails and what was expected of potential hires.

The second 1:1 interview was shorter and a little "drier" that the others. I got the impression that the interviewer was tired from flying in as he wasn't very engaging or enthusiastic. This threw me a little bit, as the previous interviewer was very upbeat and enjoyable to speak with. The interviewer for my second session was very direct, asking me specific, practical questions about my qualifications for the job. He also gave a very candid overview of the position, even outlining some "cons" instead of just "pros".

My last 1:1 interview of the day was genuinely one of the best interviews I've ever had. My interviewer was so engaging and impressive that I felt compelled to keep in touch with him regardless of whether or not I received an offer. This particular interview was different in that the questions were borderline philosophical. We sent very little time talking about the actual position--instead, we had a conversation about my passions, goals in life, early childhood influences (yes!) and how a career at Microsoft fits into my overall life plan. I did receive one question that was a bit of a brain teaser--one of those "if a train leaves the station at X time..." questions, which in all honesty, did throw me off a bit because I was previously answering, broad, philosophical questions. I also learned more about the interviewer's role in the company which was not related to the position I was applying for, but honestly fascinating nonetheless. I cannot say enough good things about this particular interviewer; he even gave me candid feedback and insider "tips" at the end of my interview. He also encouraged me to keep in touch.

Not long after my interview, I was actually surprised to receive an email from the recruiter saying that they had chosen to go with another candidate. What was interesting, however, was that immediately after the "rejection" email, I received another from the Microsoft liaison (not the 3rd party recruiter) saying that I was a "very strong" candidate, that they were "impressed with my interview" and that they desired for me to interview for another position in Seattle where I might be a better fit. Although I was grateful for the offer to interview a second time, I declined because I chose to accept an offer with another company I was dealing with that I honestly believed would be the best for me at this point in my career. All in all, I had a very positive experience with Microsoft and I would absolutely interview with the company again in the future.

Interview Questions

• How many times could X car make it around Y freeway loop on one tank of gas?   1 Answer
    • If I gave you X project with no direction before I left for a week and expected you to have it completed upon my return, how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Solution Sales Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Video (Brazil)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Video (Brazil)) in November 2016.

Interview

The role was for recent grad and it was one of the worst interview experience ever. First interview in Nov'16 and then recruiter did not respond until Feb'17 after multiple follow ups. They asked about location preferences for final interview purpose and one month later in March they said no. This is surreal to say the least. I am lost for words.

Principal Solution Sales (Azure) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Some things don't change. Even though the hiring manager pitched that it Microsoft has changed for the good, I think he was more happy to still have a job there. Have heard from very good sources that may (good) people in Azure sales and architecture roles have left within a year. Seems like they are under enormous pressure to beat AWS (which I do not believe they will anytime soon).
    In all it seems like a great opportunity, but I'm very sceptical about the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• He asked me to give him a general overview of the competitive landscape in the cloud market.   1 Answer

Solution Sales Professional - Productivity Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for the MACH programme through the website and got response within 2 weeks. It was a first stage of interview done through Skype call by the HR director personally. The questions are just basically simple and it only takes around 15-20 minutes for that phone interview. I'm still waiting for my results to proceed to the next stage of interview.