Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2017
6,506 Interview Reviews

3.2

Interview

Interview process is good but questions are quite hypothetical. Mostly related to string manipulations.

Interview Questions

• Write an class which support all functionality of Outlook client.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Difficult interview, but not harrd to crack.
    Prepare well, be confident, focus more on data structures and problem solving skills. Mastering in algorithms is key to scuccess in microsoft interview

Negotiation

I didn't do any negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Qualifications may be necessary in securing an IT job, but head hunters at Microsoft often look under the hood for passion and self-awareness.
    "If you're going to be supporting the financial services industry, we'll ask if you've worked in a bank," he said. "Sometimes, it's not about having knowledge of our technology--it's about knowledge of how the financial sector operates."

Because Microsoft is evolving to better understand its customers' businesses, rather than just selling software, the company is looking for different talent. "We engage the candidates to let them know what Microsoft is all about and the problems we have."

Interview Questions

Interview

3 technical + 2 managers

Negotiation

Interview

It is usually all day long with one interviewer every hour.
    You are mostly asked coding questions on white board, and after you finish writing the functions, you are asked to optimize it.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are about data structure, algorithms. so these days it seems like many interviewers don't ask unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reno, NV) in June 2009.

Interview

the hiring process was predictable. Lots of behavioral questions and focus on technical depth. no real Surprises

Interview Questions

• If you were at work and an emergency siren went off (while you were shredding confidential material) what would you do?   1 Answer

larger offer from competitor

Research Intern Interview

Interview

The interview was done over the phone. The overall experience was very positive. The questions were technical, focusing on the main aspects of previous work that was related to the position I was applying to. The job was related to compiler technology, so some questions related to programming language usage and representation appeared. Another very important part were background questions about the technical aspects of the project. So an obvious advice is, do an extensive research of the unit/department you are applying to or will interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• Give me at least one idea that can improve the precision and/or speed of the current used data-flow analysis for this project?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I have attended the on campus interview at my university. After a week I received an email regarding the onsite interview at Redmond, WA. I faced 3 one to one interview. All the interviewer were senior team lead and very friendly.

Interview Questions

• While taking coffee on the lobby from the automatic coffee maker one interviewer asked me How to test a coffee machine ?   Answer Question

Interview

Process consisted of 4 techincal interviews.Each round was for around 45min-60 mins.The questions were primarily asked from Data Structures , Algorithms and OS.In one of the rounds, I was asked to implement strstr function in O(n) time .The other questions were from threads and the projects i had been involved with.

Interview Questions

• A Maze is given as N*N binary matrix of blocks where source block is the upper left most block i.e., maze[0][0] and destination block is lower rightmost block i.e., maze[N-1][N-1]. A rat starts from source and has to reach destination. The rat can move only in two directions: forward and down.
      In the maze matrix, 0 means the block is dead end and 1 means the block can be used in the path from source to destination. Note that this is a simple version of the typical Maze problem. For example, a more complex version can be that the rat can move in 4 directions and a more complex version can be with limited number of moves.
      Answer Question

Interview

Multiple rounds of reviews.
    All subjective. Crap shoot.

Interview Questions

• Again, all subjective. Senior people should not get brain teaser questions.   Answer Question