Microsoft Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2017

3.1

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Interview

informational + 4 interview rounds all coding and algotithm

Interview Questions

• Auto generate strings from initial characters   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview

I contacted microsoft through an ad going around on my friend's facebook. They were holding a recruiting event in Istanbul for bing development. I contacted the recruiter through email who then forwarded me to a coordinator who fixed me an appointment with a programmer to do a skype and live coding interview.
    The programmer contacted me on time, asked me a few questions about myself, the guy was very friendly. He asked me one puzzle only, which I first answered with a bad running time, he then asked me to enhance it, but I was too stressed and I messed the interview up.

In general the contact was smooth and people were polite. you just need to be prepared, solve problems proposed on this site from other interviews and from programming interview books and you should be fine. I'll contact them and try again later when I'm more prepared

Interview Questions

• 1- Given an array of integers, positive and negative. find an interval in that array, whose elements constitutes the maximum sum   3 Answers

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Burnaby, BC (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

First applied the intern job online. After about two weeks, got an email told me there was a phone interview for me. The interview was about half an hour. Then just waited for a result email.

Interview Questions

• The difference between process and threads.
      The favorite project you have done.
      Explain big O notation.
      Compare two different programming languages.
      Distinguish a lighter marble from three same-look marbles.
      Ask the interviewer some questions.
      Answer Question

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through campus career fair and got an on campus interview. It takes 30 minutes and asks more on my resume such as the projects I did. There is one technical question to delete all the duplicates in an array. They helped me through the whole process

Software Development Engineer(SDE) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vedbæk (Denmark)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Vedbæk (Denmark)) in August 2008.

Interview

There were 4 interview in a day, each long about 1 hour.
    Each interview consits of 3 part: logic question, coding question, other questions.

If you don't know how to solve task - don't be silent, ask questions!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Got a call oncampus for the first round. I could come up with an optimized solution.
    Got an onsite call after almost a month. Questions were pretty simple. I guess I talked about vim/linux a bit too much. Probably not the place for me to go!

Interview Questions

• [Oncampus] Given list of sorted lists, find the k smallest elements out of all the lists   Answer Question
    • [Round 1] Find loop in a linked list   3 Answers
    • [Round 2] 1) Implement Stack 2) Implement Factorial   Answer Question
    • [Round 3] 1) Check for BST property 2) Arrange two sorted lists to get a sorted list without duplicates and another list with the duplicates.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Hyderabad (India)) in July 2012.

Interview

I was did my summer internship in Microsoft India. The interviews were part of converting the internship to Full Time Employment.
    I had 3 interviews on different days. My performance in the interviews were not great. But I was given the offer because Microsoft was hiring massively for Bing and review from my mentor was positive.
    (I have listed all the questions in the interviews)

Interview Questions

• Consider a linked list with two pointers where the 1st pointer is the normal next pointer and the second one randomly points to some other node in the list. Given such a list as input clone it.   Answer Question
    • Find the largest palindrome in a given string. Come up with the best algorithm you can.   Answer Question
    • There are n petrol bunks arranged in circle. Each bunk is separated from the next one by a certain distance. You choose some mode of travel which needs 1 litre of petrol to cover 1 km distance. You can't draw any amount of petrol from each bunk, but each bunk has some limited petrol. Find if there is any point in the circle from which you can start? If there is one such point find the point.   Answer Question
    • Implement a variation of stack with push,pop and getmin in O(1) complexity   Answer Question
    • Given:2 sorted arrays, one of size m and other of size m+n, but in the 2nd array only n elements are present.
      Arrange both the sorted arrays in the bigger array. Finally the bigger array should be sorted.
      Answer Question

Got a better job in campus placements in my college.

Software Development Engineer(SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

after they screened my resume, they replied within 2 days with an email to choose a phone interview time.
    the overall interview was easy for a phone interview, but I guess the recruiter didn't get all of my answers quite well (it was the end of the day for him btw).

Interview Questions

• unexpected: The Recruiter asked how many lines of code I have written in my biggest project   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Got 4 round interviews including an additional one, the whole process lasted 4 hours. All the questions were technical. All travel cost were covered and they booked flight and hotel for me. They have a professional team to process flight booking and reimbursement for candidates. It was the most fantastic interview i have participated. Overall the questions were not that hard, they wanted to see the potential of candidates rather than the answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I met the Microsoft recruiter at University. The first round was a 1:1 interview on campus. The interviewer asked me one technical question. The second round was in Redmond. Four interviews each 45 min. One question per each interview. Three data structure questions and one in machine learning. Overall, a very positive experience.