Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 21, 2018
7,218 Interview Reviews

3.2

Product Manager Interview

Interview

I was referred by an ex-colleague in their internal system. Their referral process process makes you get lost in a black hole!! I have heard this from others multiple times but still decided to give it a shot. It goes to a 3rd party referral manager who apparently circulates your resume internally and lets you know if there is any interest.

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Interview

Gave my resume to recruiter at my school's career fair. Got an email a week later for a phone interview. Heard back in a day to schedule for a on-site.
    About 60 people there the day I interviewed. The process wasn't intense at all. 3 interviews with msft employers.
    Heard back a week later.

Software Engineer() Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview. There were some basic behavioral questions and then resume review, then coding questions: permutations and linked list question. Interviewer was not the friendliest or in the best mood.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Did an on-campus interview at my college then flown out to Redmond for on-site. Met with on-site recruiter at 9 AM and started interview at 10 AM. I tried getting water at Building 28 (where my interview was) but the receptionist was unhelpful and irritated with answering questions. She then started complaining about how the posters about giving on her building was crooked. Generally not a good vibe. Technical interviews started at 10 AM. I had a total of 4 technical interviews.

I noticed all the engineers had their own room and not an open floor plan. This shows me Microsoft isn’t very open. All the interviewers worked at Microsoft for at least 10 years and were unenthusiastic about their job. The way they talked about their job and presented themselves seems like their career only revolves around Microsoft and they have no plan to go somewhere else. They probably figured their career is stagnant and staying at Microsoft is the safest option. All interviewers didn't ask me about why Microsoft probably because they don't value a candidate's excitement to work at Microsoft. Instead, they asked why I chose computer science as a major. Overall experience was negative because interviewers weren't excited about their job. The reason interviewers worked there was because they needed a job. Even my recruiter didn't seem happy. I like to see people excited about their projects. I believe in Microsoft's mission but the people their are not very motivated.

Interview Questions

• Given root node to a binary tree, reconstruct it and return its root node   2 Answers
    • Given 2d matrix and a string. Write a function to check if string is contained in the 2d matrix   1 Answer
    • Run length encoding, write compression function given input array and output array of bytes   1 Answer
    • - Design an API for searching for contact information.
      - Choose a data structure for search function
      - Implement search function   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

After a phone interview, I got invited to fly to their Charlotte office for my second round interview. I interviewed with 4 different people and got an offer two days later.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral type questions and questions from my resume. This was for the MACH program and geared towards college hires.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Phone interview for Program Manager
    A lot of behavior questions
    Easy to hear and understand the whole process
    Microsoft working really clear and fast for intern
    Easy to hear and understand the whole process
    Microsoft working really clear and fast for intern

Interview Questions

• Find the Heaviest ball in 9 given balls by two times   2 Answers

Project Manager () Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I met the recruiters at some college events and gave them my resume. I also applied online on Microsoft's website and through my college's career website. I was invited to interview on-campus a few weeks ago, and made it through to the next round, so I will be interviewing on site next month.

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Submitted my resume late August to my campus recruiter, which led to a 30 min interview over the phone about two weeks later - mostly behavioral and design questions. I was informed that I made it to the second/final round about a week later. Microsoft generously flew us out to their campus in Redmond for the final interview and covered nearly all expenses (travel, food, sightseeing) - had three 45 minute interviews on campus covering a mix of questions from PM, SDET, and SD fields. Interviewers clearly wanted us to succeed-- were helpful and friendly across interviews. Heard back from recruiters less than a week after the final interview.

Interview Questions

• Knowledge of data structures and arrays was super helpful. However, interviewers mostly look at your thought process and how you approach a problem rather than expecting you to be a programming expert.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

The on campus interview was just a conversation about my experience and my resume, followed by a technical coding question.

The on site interview was 4 back to back interviews with members from the Cloud and Azure team. When you schedule your on site interview you will either get the first or second half of the day for interviews. In my opinion if you can get the first half of the day, it is much better because the interviewers are still fresh and after you finish interviews at lunch time you can go explore Seattle for the rest of the day.

Tips:
    1. Read through Cracking the PM interview, and solve some example problems
    2. Practice your coding skills (data structures and algorithms), PMs at Microsoft are expected to have strong technical skills
    3. Know why people want to work as a PM at Microsoft instead of Google or other major tech companies

Timeline:
    Recruiter contacted through LinkedIn
    On campus interview 1 week later.
    Heard back next day.
    Scheduled on site for two weeks away.
    I heard back within 2 days of interview that I had an offer.
    Negotiation took 1 week.

Interview Questions

• Design the technical architecture for Spotify. How do you prevent people from creating multiple accounts and taking advantage of promotional periods?   Answer Question
    • What do you find frustrating about windows?   Answer Question
    • What is one thing you would change about windows and how would you change it?   Answer Question
    • Who is a role model that is not related to you?   Answer Question
    • Why Microsoft instead of Google or Facebook?   Answer Question
    • If you had a million dollars for a startup what would your idea be?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Series of 1:1 interviews at different office locations throughout the day. Some very friendly conversations, others were more challenging and definitely felt like a test. Was a little confusing trying to figure out my next location without a chaperone.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about estimating the number of gas stations in the USA?   Answer Question