Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2016

3.3

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interview

I was contacted by a campus recruiter to do an on campus interview. The interview was very non-technical and afterwards I was invited to interview on-site for an SDET position. They flew me out and paid for food and housing, then I spent a day interviewing. The interviews themselves were fine, not terribly difficult, but I wasn't set out to be a SDET so I didn't prepare and showed that in the testing specific interviews.

Interview Questions

• Lots of "is this ready to ship to the world" questions, can't remember specifics.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview. The interviewer rushed me through a 30 minute interview asking a combination of technical and behavioral questions such as how to build a queue from two stacks, Boxing, encapsulation, how to build a battleships game. He also asked what the most complex question I have had to solve is and how I tackled it. I hardly had time to ask any questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• what the most complex question I have had to solve is and how I tackled it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Had 5 45 minute interviews back to back with 15 minute breaks in between. The interviewers talk to each other while you are taking a break before the next one comes to get you. Mix of personality/behavioral and "What would you do in this scenario..." questions. Very laid back interviewers dress is casual and you can just act like you're having a normal conversation... while also writing code on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Question about Data encryption over HTTPS websites and he drilled really deep asking questions like how secret and private keys work, how the secret key is shared, and how encryption of data actually takes place on websites.   1 Answer

Negotiation

not much negotiation as it was for an internship

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It started out with me reaching out to a recruiter through Linkedin. I was then told if a hiring manager is interested in my resume, I would be contacted shortly. I heard back next week and was then set up for a Skype Interview. This interview lasted for a hour and questions were pretty straightforward (One coding question and one testing/design related question).

In the next week after the Skype interview, I was contacted once again and invited onsite for 4 interviews.
    Interview 1: Lunch interview which included knowing more about the team and what they are working on. After the lunch, we went back to the office and there was whiteboard coding questions. This round lasted for about 90 minutes.
    Interview 2: The interview started with me describing (Sequence Diagram) of my current project. After that I was asked a coding problem and was asked to determine the test cases. This interview lasted for about 60 minutes.
    Interview 3: A purely testing question followed by some whiteboard coding. This interview too lasted for about 60 minutes. After this interview, the interview told me that my next round of interview would be with the Hiring Manager.
    Interview 4: Purely behavioral and the hiring manager sees if you are a good fit for the team.

Heard back in a week and was extended an offer.

Tips: Don't be scared. I was a little overwhelmed when I walked through the campus but then the HR along with other interviewers really ease you into the interview. Talk loudly as the interviewer then knows what you are thinking about. I was given few hints when I was stuck and the hints really help in that case. Also I was really comfortable writing code on the whiteboard as I spent 2 weeks before the onsite interview practicing on the whiteboard. This really helps. A must do!

Approach the testing questions in a very structured manner as they really like that. Cracking the coding interview has those steps mentioned.

Resources: Geeksforgeeks - This is the only online resource that I referred as I had gone through Cracking the coding interview and Programming interviews exposed in the past.

Interview Questions

• Nothing that difficult. Just know your basics about data Structures, Algorithms and Testing if interviewing for a SDET position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated a bit as I did not have any other offers. But please negotiate as there is always room for more.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Didn't get very far. Just finished the first interview. I thought it has gone well, but apparelrntly not. Screener is very time focused, and the whole process is very streamlined. There's no question that they're looking for the best people.

Interview Questions

• You are given two buckets. One holds 3 gallons and the other holds 5 gallons. Have do you make 4 gallons of water?   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied both online and through contacting a college recruiter for their internships. I had an on campus 30 minute interview that they use to decide whether to bring you to Washington for 4 additional interviews. Interview questions are about as expected, and the interviewer was very polite. Overall it was a very positive experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Interview Questions

• How do you simulate the functionality of a queue using 2 stacks   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Got contacted by an outside recruiter for a phone screening. Then they offered to fly to an external hiring event. Had standard 4 (or 5) technical interviews + one behavioral with the hiring manager. Got an offer a couple of weeks after that. Relocation and other parts of the transition went smoothly, the team(s) responsible for that know perfectly what they are doing.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember the actual questions now, but those were usual interview ones. No crazy trees or graphs, but mostly combinatorics-like, string/array manipulation, basic geometrical applications etc. No brain teasers, only technical.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied at an in person hiring event at the University of Central Florida. About a 3 weeks later I received an email saying that I was chosen to follow up with the first round of the interviews which took place at my campus. The recruiting staff traveled back to my school interview all the candidates. A month later I received another email saying I moved on to the second round of interviews which took place at their main campus in Seattle, WA. They paid for all my travel and living expenses for the 3 day trip. I was allowed to the choose the arriving and departing dates from several options they gave me.

Once I arrived to Seattle they gave me a day to explore the city on my own and the other day was used almost entirely for interviews (although they do let you out around 4pm to do more exploring). I went through three interviews with different employees from the Microsoft Office team which each lasted about an hour long. They all seemed to press firmly on the matter of testing code. Questions like: "How would you test this code?", "Did you ever run any tests to make sure it worked?", "How do you know this code works?". Not all the interviews started out that way, but they did end like that.

Interview Questions

• Given a regular phone number dial pad, write code that will list out all the possible letter combinations that can be made given three numerical digits as input.

For example, the base function would look like this:

function numberToChars(int *numbers) {
         // would return an array of different character combinations
         // if input was 123
         // output: adg, adh, adi, bdg, etc...
      }
      1 Answer
    • How would you test a function this function and make sure it works? The function would take in two file paths as parameters and then copy the contents of the first file path into the second one?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

This was a very standard interview process where I received a phone screen by HR, then a phone screen by an engineer, and then finally I was flown out to the location for around four interviews lasting an hour each. There was no lunch break as the interviews were from 1-5pm

Interview Questions

• Explain how to test this code, write atoi, etc   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Hiring through career fair at top-tier school. Skype interview first and then on-site at Redmond. Skype interview was for PM position and was pretty straight forward.
    2 weeks later got contacted for final round. A couple of days later my application was changed from PM to SDET. Even though I didn't want that position, I decided to go and find out more about Microsoft.
    Final rounds was 3 interviews (1 SDE, 1 SDET, 1 PM) and lunch. A fair amount of coding and a full behavioral with the PM.

Interview Questions

• Design a backup system. (no requirements, no more details, and very vague)   Answer Question