Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

Interviewers keep keying in their inputs. Next interviewer knows what previous one asked and what needs to be tested. In my case, first asked for problem solving, second, design, third on bug finding, fourth on coding and optimization and firth on behavioral. Inshort, covered all the areas well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No. I did not negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in August 2012.

Interview

Usual Data structure questions. Algorithms. How do you test an elevator, reverse a string and How to reverse an array what is the space and time complexity? How do you improve space and time complexity? Why are you planning to move? What is the difficult situation you have come across and how did you manage?

Interview Questions

• How do you test an elevator? What is the process you use to debug if a website is down   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2012.

Interview

Two rounds phone screening. Simple questions like: Why I want to work for MS, what is class, what is object, example for polymorphism, encapsulation.

Onsite in Seattle, WA. Five rounds with Online Services Division.
    First round: Again questions like: Why I want to work for MS, what products/services from OSD (online services division) I know/used. Interviewer told me much more about the company, services OSD provides etc...
    Second round: Techical questions like: Lists vs Array, find loop in linked list, Binary Search Trees, etc...
    Third round: Lunch + my ideas for improving services MS provides, light and easy part of interview process, very friendly
    Fourth round: Much heavier techical interview: Dynamic programming, Data Stream algorithms.
    Fifth round (some Manager was interviewer): Much about salary, when I can start, relocation specifics etc...

Interview Questions

• Question regarding moving window calculation in data stream algorithms   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, followed up with a phone interview. An in-person interview was then set up; the setup process for the flight was somewhat bureaucratic, but the interview itself went smoothly.

While the technical questions were good, I found the interviewers' description of the company to be misleading and portrayed it as being far less competitive and bureaucratic and far more flexible than it actually is. If this is a concern for you I would heavily recommend discussing it with people you can trust and who have experience with other companies.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mainly related to my past experience, OS concepts, synchronization issues, and so forth. There was less emphasis on algorithms and more on architecture.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made a good-faith effort to match the gross salary of my previous company. Considering Washington's income-tax laws and Microsoft's additional benefits, this worked out to be a raise in compensation. I respected this and did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

MS Need to improve communication & interview process

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

consists of 5 rounds of interview.One tech screen followed by full loop of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

Live Meeting

Interview Questions

• 1) "yzca" <= inputStr = "abca", compareStr = "ab", replaceStr = "yz"
      string funcReplaceStr(string inputStr, string compareStr, string replaceStr)

2) Design a normalized datastore and t-sql for getting this problem: Get me the top 10 customers who have purchased the most products from my site.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had prior experience working as a contractor at Microsoft so I was familiar work environment. This interview was for Windows Phone Group. One of my colleague who work for MS had forwarded my resume to this opening. I was having a really nice job at one of the fortune 100 company and had solid experience with some 4 of the leading companies in the field. So my profile was good in that sense, but didnt see any mercy while doing 1:1 interviewing for the post. Initial phone interview asked about programming and testing questions. Not very difficult. Then followed by a one day interview which started at 10 am and lasted at around 5.30 pm. First one was one 1:1 hr session(just explained what I will be doing thru the day and what all i look from the job ) . Five 1:1 technical sessions , Initial ones where easy , but as soon as they realize that you are able to answer the initial rounds, the other ones will go tougher and tougher till you break.
    So you really dont have much idea of how you are doing, but it seems after four rounds you could be relatively safe since the questions are hard to crack questions by then and they also know about that. There is a lunch break that too filled with some technical and some personal talks. By evening you will get exhausted, so keep your energy levels really up till the end. They will give you indications about the result. The last person I met was a higher level manager and he told me ,that they liked me and that I had done well and HR will get back to you. After two days I got the offer. Dont go without enough preparation, for sure its difficult to crack without proper study , prepare well , at least it will give a nice experience . Good thing is even if you don't get its a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• Design a test strategy for DLNA based wireless streaming. Tell how to test it.   1 Answer
    • Find the n the element of a singly linked list without traversing the linked list more than once. Test the program.   1 Answer
    • Write an optimized program to find the characters within a string and return number of times it will get repeated along with the character. Test the program   1 Answer
    • 175 players in a 1 to 1 match. Those who fail the match quits. Find out a strategy to design the games in a way where minimum number of games will be played to select the winner.   2 Answers
    • How to explain to a non techy about the paging process of an operating system. Tell the non techy guy about the fragmentation procedure and fragmentation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate, but not much. Already having a nice job so I had no other choice than to negotiate. Since I want to have a fair deal for my career change.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I've been through this process with Amazon and Google before and the phone screening process is pretty much the same. Not too many questions about resume or experience but algo and data structure questions.
    Got a response the next day to tell me they wanted to bring me in for 1:1 interviews. Trip was schedule for the following week and the process is made very easy by the recruiter. They take care of everything for you and you just have to approve the final travel arrangements.

My on-site interviews started with a 30 minutes meeting with my recruiter. He then brought me back to the lobby area where the first interviewer (an SDET II) came to get me. We went to his office. We went through a couple of algo and data structure problems and he then asked me questions about design patterns and other behavioral stuff. It was about 60 minutes including some time for me to ask questions.
    The next interview was over lunch (also with an SDET II) but was very similar. Being during lunch, the discussion seems a little more casual but you are still being interviewed and you still have to solve problems.

The last interview was with a Senior SDET Lead, in his office. He gave me an algo problem and a UI design question. The rest was based on my past experience and some behavioral questions. We ended up spending more time talking than solving problems.

I was pretty confident after the first 2 interviews but it all went downhill during the 3rd one. The reaction and facial expressions of my interviewer made me feel like I was getting it all wrong. He told me at the end that I was done which confirmed my feeling was right since they usually schedule more interviews if you are doing well.

Interview Questions

• Write a method to rotate an array at n without using O(1) space.
      How would you test this method
      1 Answer
    • Given an array of size n with values within a known range, write a method to find duplicates in O(1)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

Fairly straightforward - like any other company. A phone screen - followed by 5 rounds on site.
    Questions were of the following nature: Design a cache subsystem, spiral order printing of a matrix, regex implementation for * and ?, Binary Tree rotation question, How do you implement shuffle in a media player and how to know if a graph is bi-partite.