Microsoft Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

2,851 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via employee referral process. After phone call with Dev Lead I managed to fly to Redmond. It was 3 round interview loop in one day, second day I received offer.

Interview Questions

• coding on white table (data structures), solution architecture related questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

This was a telephonic interview. I was not asked anything related to the technologies that I had applied for (C#, SQL, XAML) but the questions were very generic (data structure and algorithms).

Interview Questions

• Was asked about different kinds of tree traversals. And was asked to write down the 8 queens problem algorithm.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on site interview followed by a phone interview. I was also invited for a follow up interview on site but the position was filled. Overall, the interview process was not stressful

Interview Questions

• You have 7 Identical marbles but one is slightly heavier than the others. You also have a balance scale. Identify which marble is heavier only using the scale twice   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and asked some basic questions ("Why do you want to work on this team," etc.), followed with a technical phone screening; I was told they wanted to fly me out to Seattle the same day. Had a full day of on-site interviews - meeting with the recruiter, manager of the team, 3 technical interviews, and a lunch interview (total of 6). Overall all of the interviewers were very friendly and knew how to jog a person's memory without giving them an answer.

Interview Questions

• Cannot be disclosed due to an NDA.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter for the SDE position for their hiring event. I was asked to register and will get the Online test in a week. It's been more than a month since than. I tried to reach the recruiter many times but won't respond back. Any other recruiters won't accept my application since I was contacted previously by other recruiter. I don't understand whether they really are looking for engineers or an applicant just suffers because of all this inside conflicts. It's not believable from such a good company.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got referred to a specific team at Microsoft as New Grad hiring was halted for 2016. Talked to a manager on the phone for an hour, and was asked about my resume and did a interview question. Was flown to Seattle 2 weeks later and had an onsite interview with the team at Redmond. It consisted of 5 interviews with coding and culture-fit questions. I was at the Microsoft Campus from 9AM to 4:30PM. The process was nice, and the interviews were more conversational than say Google onsite interviews. I got a call 2 days later with an offer to join the team.

Microsoft enjoyed asking data structure questions with arrays, linked lists, strings, etc. Questions on graphs are said to be rare. Be prepared to answer any design questions, which may be follow up questions to coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on string traversal, arrays + math were common in my interview.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was with Bing API team in Seattle onsite Interview. There was one telephonic interview offsite and they asked me linked list problem. Intersection of linked list. total 4 rounds of Interview and overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Question: 1) Javascript 2) BST 3) String 4) Array   2 Answers

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

In-person interview. 3 interviews of 60 minutes. Interview occurred on campus at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, WA. Spoke with 2 high up optical engineers and one recent hire. One interview was very difficult and intense, while others were more laid back. All had many technical questions and lots of white board ray tracing.

Interview Questions

• Off-axis parabolic mirror ray tracing   2 Answers

Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn and invited for a phone screen.

The phone screen was very typical, but slightly more technical than most with a few questions about tools and and campaign/example-based examples.

When it came down to discussion of compensation at the end of the discussion, it turned out it was a contract role and that they were looking to pay half of what I was looking for--and it was also an amount far below the market rate for my skill set. I politely declined to talk further and wished them luck in their search.

Interview Questions

• Describe your level of experience with X tool.   1 Answer

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

3 questions involving a mix of analytical and technical questions.
    Initially some questions on background and CV.Followed by what are the different work areas at microsoft and what would I be interested in.Involved blackboard writing and some talking.
    The interviewer took notes along side and was definitely helpful.

Interview Questions

• Design a 3 tier app for spelling test   1 Answer