Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

2,693 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone screening followed by an on site interview. Company pays for flight, meals, and lodging to Seattle for the interview, onsite interview consists of 3-5 interviews with a lunch with one of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Find the closest common ancestors to 2 nodes in a n-ary tree.   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

First, I participated in an hour-long Skype interview with a member of the team I was applying to. Then I visited Microsoft's Redmond campus for an on-site interview, which took most of the day and consisted of five interview sessions with different members of aforementioned team. Most sessions involved at least one coding question on a whiteboard; coding questions were mainly domain-specific, with a few concerning basic algorithms and data structures. In addition to coding, some of the questions posed by the interviewers were behavioral (for example, I was asked to describe how I would resolve a difference of opinion with a team member before a deadline). I was also given plenty of opportunities to ask questions of the employees.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that reverses an array.   2 Answers

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Had a difficult on-campus interview about two weeks after career fair.
    It was 1 round of 30 minute interview.
    Next round would be the final onsite interview at Seattle.
    Rejected about a month later.
    A friend who aced the interview was also rejected.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

5 interviews throughout the day, all whiteboard style, not specifically themed or ordered- didn't get any question 100% right but got very close on all of them. started in morning, break for lunch with one of my interviewers.

Interview Questions

• algorithm for finding the largest rectangle area in the bar graph   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an internship before. Converted to full time offer.
    Got the internship by applying through a college recruiter. 1. Phone call interview. 2. On college pen and paper interview. 3. Got flown to Seattle for on-site. 4. Got an offer within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• The door toggling question. There are 100 lockers, a man runs from left to right toggling the door from open to locked, skipping every other door. Does that again and again, toggling the multiples of ith door. In the end, how many doors are open. Derive a formula.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied on campus where I had an initial interview. Afterwards, they flew me out to Redmond where I had a series of 5 interviews (4 coding and 1 lunch interview). Strange thing was that I applied for a role in Mountain View, CA but halfway through my day, I got an email from my recruiter telling me that the role that I was applying for was actually not available. So I'm not really sure why I was there but I continued with the interview anyways. Ended up not getting an offer because the role I applied for was actually not available. At least I had a lot of fun in Seattle since Microsoft covers most of your expenses!

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes the produce of two given inputs without using the multiplication operation. Try to do this as fast as you can (O(log(n) or better)   1 Answer
    • Given a binary tree, print the tree in counter-clockwise direction (print the left side of the tree top-to-bottom, print all the leaves left-to-right, print right side of the tree bottom-to-top).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

phone call, chat about past projects, one coding question with follow ups, one design question about how to design a search system for information retrieval which can deal with multi-modal data input.

Interview Questions

• describe one of the challenges you had in your projects and how you tackle it.   Answer Question
    • given a number, permute the digits to form the next larger permutation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

1 on campus (30 mins) and 5 onsite interviews (1 HR each except one, which was 2hrs). Every interview had atleast one coding question to be done on the white board. Sometimes even more than one

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied through on campus career fair. Got an interview after a week or so. Interviewed on campus. It was mainly just technical. Have been still waiting on the result of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked about reversing each word in a sentence, and asked about the runtime   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I needed to go to Seattle to a friend of mine, so I applied online for a Senior Engineer, Android role. At the time I was unfamiliar with Microsoft ranks, so I didn't realize that I was grossly underqualified for Senior SDE with only 2.5 years industry experience. Luckily they must've realized this and adjusted my application for an SDE II role.

The onsite process was excellent. I would say better Google, who makes you book your own flight. Probably second only to Facebook because they included an excellent breakfast buffet at the hotel I went to. The hotel I got was decent, but the breakfasts contained no meats, which was disappointing. I managed to wrangle the flight times to give me an extra couple of days, and they gave me 2 nights in the hotel and 4! days with the car, which was perfect. Highly recommend.

Interview itself was really fun. Microsoft's hiring process is a lot more granular than other Big N companies, because you apply for a specific team and that's the team who interviews you. In this way, it's more important to impress on a social level, because the hiring folks will be working with you directly.

My interviews were more design and theory focused than normal, but that's not necessarily typical. One thing that stood out to me was that "lunch", was actually the third interview. This really tripped me out because normally you eat lunch with a neutral guy, so I was chatting with my guy and afterwards he's like, okay lets go to my office and do some problems. They pay for your lunch, but be sure not to get the pizzas or grill stuff, because it takes way too long. Get a soup, some bread, and look for cues in the eating pace of your interviewer. Also, this way you wont eat too much and get sleepy.

Interview Questions

• What's the relation between a process and an application in Android? Followed by discussions on interprocess communications (IPC) in Android.   1 Answer