Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,454 Interview Reviews

3.2

2,454 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter for the SDE position for their hiring event. I was asked to register and will get the Online test in a week. It's been more than a month since than. I tried to reach the recruiter many times but won't respond back. Any other recruiters won't accept my application since I was contacted previously by other recruiter. I don't understand whether they really are looking for engineers or an applicant just suffers because of all this inside conflicts. It's not believable from such a good company.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was with Bing API team in Seattle onsite Interview. There was one telephonic interview offsite and they asked me linked list problem. Intersection of linked list. total 4 rounds of Interview and overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Question: 1) Javascript 2) BST 3) String 4) Array   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got referred to a specific team at Microsoft as New Grad hiring was halted for 2016. Talked to a manager on the phone for an hour, and was asked about my resume and did a interview question. Was flown to Seattle 2 weeks later and had an onsite interview with the team at Redmond. It consisted of 5 interviews with coding and culture-fit questions. I was at the Microsoft Campus from 9AM to 4:30PM. The process was nice, and the interviews were more conversational than say Google onsite interviews. I got a call 2 days later with an offer to join the team.

Microsoft enjoyed asking data structure questions with arrays, linked lists, strings, etc. Questions on graphs are said to be rare. Be prepared to answer any design questions, which may be follow up questions to coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on string traversal, arrays + math were common in my interview.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Start off with basic HR screening. Then online test with 5 simple to borderline medium coding questions in 1 hour. Once you clear that you get called for an on site round. Onsite had 4 (3 coding + 1 design and coding) interviews 45 minutes each with a 10-15 minute break between each interview.

Most of the interviewers were very nice. The recruiters are very nice and really want you to succeed.
    Heard back next day about the offer.

Interview Questions

• Coding, basic data structures and thought process.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the Hiring manager after seeing my resume that was submitted fora different opening. Had a phone screen with a principal engineer in the same project. No coding questions were asked but had a great conversation on network management, latency and my work in general. Was scheduled for an onsite interview after 2 weeks. Had a short phone call with the recruiter the day before the interview on what to expect during the day. I was told that 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews were scheduled with a potential for that to be extended to two more rounds. Was specifically told that more than 3 interviews is considered a good sign. The recruiter also promised to get back within 48 hours with the result.
    First round of interviews was with a principal engineer. He let me use his development system to code. Along with the main coding question, was given two additional code snippets to find bugs/issues. All three problems were not overly had but had plenty of areas which lead to software design discussions. The next was a lunch interview with was very pleasant. Had an opportunity to talk about both work and life in Seattle. The last 30 mins were dedicated to a system design/requirements gathering question and was also asked to pseudo code the algorithm at the end. Third round was with the hiring manager. Was asked to go deep into a mutual exclusion problem that i had coded around 5 years ago. I had forgotten a lot of finer details of it and was finding it hard to recollect. He let that pass and asked me a coding question that i was able to code. The 4th round was with one of his peers. The hour was mostly spend on OS fundamentals with a coding problem at the end.
    Had a good experience overall and i was happy with my performance. Waited 3 days for the recruiter to let me know the result but all i got was radio silence. Had to convince myself that i didn't make it after waiting for a week. I guess their hiring standards are really high. One advice for other folks is to brush up on their past work to as much detail as possible. I felt i had missed out on the interview with the Hiring manager where i couldn't go deep into my past work. Another helpful tip is to ask as many clarifying questions as possible to their coding problems. Every one in the interview including the Hiring manager are able to device a problem on the spot and leave the details to us. It really helps to nail down the details before staring to code. Also beware that they can stop you at any time and pose a specific assumption for the problem that makes you change your approach and re-think all over again.

Interview Questions

• Cant share questions Signed NDA.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at a Career Fair.
    Did an interview, which was very smooth. Asked behavioral questions and 1 coding question on a sheet of paper. I was told that I had a chance to ask the interviewer questions but I did not know that. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter sent me an invitation for an on-campus technical interview. I was asked to schedule the onsite the next day. I asked for three weeks to prepare. The onsite process is pretty standard as many other companies. I had four interviews all of them with senior developers/managers in the respective teams. I was asked questions related to DP and Backtracking. CTCI along with decent practice from Leetcode is enough to crack the interview. We need to be careful testing the code we write.

Interview Questions

• On-campus - related to a data-structure design
      onsite - DP, Backtracking and a question on palindromes.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

They ask some question about behavior and then 15 minutes for technical question, you can solve it but if it is not the best way, you will not get offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about the project you love the most.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine currently working at Microsoft. I first did a 45 minute on-campus interview which consisted of one easy question plus some behaviorals. Unfortunately, Microsoft had fulfilled their hiring quota for the year, but a spot opened up in mid-December and I scheduled my on-site to be in January.

The on-site consisted of five interviews about an hour long each, with some standard data structures/algorithm questions plus one system design question. The fifth interviewer also asked some behaviorals. The algorithm questions were probably around LeetCode Medium level.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of n unsorted key-value tuples which are too large to fit in memory, return the k tuples with the greatest value where n is several orders of magnitude greater than k. This list may be dispersed across multiple machines.   2 Answers
    • Given a tree of order n which is neither complete or a search tree, write a function to construct a new tree of order m in-place. Memory usage is bound to 2 times the size of the tree. The new tree must be complete, and a node A cannot be a child of another node B in the new tree if A was an ancestor of B in the old tree.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of movement commands (up, down, left, right, undo previous action), write a function that returns the final (x,y) coordinate. Followup: how would you handle other kinds of commands and undoing them? What kind of design pattern is this?   2 Answers
    • Given two very large timestamped sorted log files that do not fit in memory (possibly on different machines), merge them in timestamp order. Provide some test cases.   2 Answers
    • Describe how you would design a data experimentation platform.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had an initial screening by the hiring manager. Then a series of 4 interviews back to back with both devs and a PM. Process took about a month. Mostly technical questions.

Interview Questions

• string replace all symbols with spaces   1 Answer
    • design a function for determining hits in battleship   1 Answer
    • given a collection of songs with names and times, determine the longest mixtape you can make that fits into a cd that can hols 20 mins of content.   1 Answer
    • explain how a web request works in as much detail as possible.   1 Answer
    • explain forms of testing you would do before releasing software   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation