Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2017
6,252 Interview Reviews

3.2

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume at career and then got an on campus interview. The whole process was nice. However they don't have onsite interview opportunity now so they cannot move me to the next round.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Gave resume at career fair. Got phone interview 3 months later. Answered questions correctly but was rejected afterward. Very disappointed. Received no other feedback other than a rejection email a week later.

Interview Questions

• Given N weights, one of which is different from the others, find this different weight.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to set up a technical interview. The phone interview lasted 45min. There was a mix of puzzles, technical concepts, and behavioral questions. I felt like i answered the questions well but was not moved on to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Puzzle about weights and figuring out the heaviest of 9 balls.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I talked to them at a university career fair and was given an interview 3 weeks later. The questions asked were both behavioral and technical, with very common behavioral, team-oriented questions. The technical questions were centered around what you have had experience with so they can gauge where you are and what interests you have. The main coding question was a bit difficult though.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes a linked list ordered as a normal link list, while also having an alternate order (alternate_next ptr for each), and copies it, preserving it's normal order as well as it's alternate order.   2 Answers

Garage Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Not sure how they found my resume, but I got an email from a recruiter. First round was a one hour phone call with the recruiter. I got an email that I had been selected for the final round, which was in Cambridge at their HQ. They got me a rental car and a hotel and paid for everything. I then had three 45 minute interviews with different people in the program.

Interview Questions

• If you have 9 marbles and two uses of a balance scale, how do you figure out which marble is the heaviest?
      Explain recursion to an 8 year old.
      1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It went very well. Very organized and the people who you meet there are very friendly. 4 interviews total, and each were about 45min. All 4 of them were technical coding questions (about 30min of coding on the whiteboard).

Interview Questions

• Reverse the words in a string. "Hey, how are you?" -> "?ouy era woh ,yeH"   1 Answer

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

It was really great, comfortable. The recruiter was really nice and responded well to follow up questions. I think that it really helped that I asked very specific follow up questions about the specifics of the role that I want.

Interview Questions

• Choose your favorite programming concept. Now, describe it as if you were talking to a four year old.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Initial first round interview with single person, followed by second round interview loop with 4-5 people, mix of behavioral and mini-case questions including issues topical to the tech industry, microsoft business, and marketing fundamentals.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine currently working at Microsoft. I first did a 45 minute on-campus interview which consisted of one easy question plus some behaviorals. Unfortunately, Microsoft had fulfilled their hiring quota for the year, but a spot opened up in mid-December and I scheduled my on-site to be in January.

The on-site consisted of five interviews about an hour long each, with some standard data structures/algorithm questions plus one system design question. The fifth interviewer also asked some behaviorals. The algorithm questions were probably around LeetCode Medium level.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of n unsorted key-value tuples which are too large to fit in memory, return the k tuples with the greatest value where n is several orders of magnitude greater than k. This list may be dispersed across multiple machines.   1 Answer
    • Given a tree of order n which is neither complete or a search tree, write a function to construct a new tree of order m in-place. Memory usage is bound to 2 times the size of the tree. The new tree must be complete, and a node A cannot be a child of another node B in the new tree if A was an ancestor of B in the old tree.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of movement commands (up, down, left, right, undo previous action), write a function that returns the final (x,y) coordinate. Followup: how would you handle other kinds of commands and undoing them? What kind of design pattern is this?   1 Answer
    • Given two very large timestamped sorted log files that do not fit in memory (possibly on different machines), merge them in timestamp order. Provide some test cases.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you would design a data experimentation platform.   Answer Question

Interview

I've applied to FTE positions for years on their public site, and never gotten anywhere. However, this time I had an internal recommendation. So I went from applying to in an interview loop within a week. No phone screen or pre-screen of any sort.

The full interview process was comprised of 4 one hour interviews, with various Program Managers and Software Engineers. We did white board coding and talked a lot about my past work. They seemed to really appreciate that I have an UWA in the store already, with good reviews.

After the interview, it took about a month to get my offer, however, this was also over the Christmas holiday season. Some delays where due to approvers being on PTO.

Interview Questions

• I was sked a variety of questions surrounding the more advanced areas of C# and JavaScript.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received a generous offer, but not necessarily what I was hoping for. I made a counter offer, which was accepted same day. Overall very easy, and the recruiter was very helpful and understanding.