Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

3.3

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interview

My recruiter called me at the expected time and gave me 4 questions:
1. What was your most difficult technical problem and how did you handle it?
2. How would you design a kitchen timer?
3. Simple for-loop coding question.
4. What does good design mean to you?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

On-campus pre-screen followed by a loop of 3-4 in office interviews and an "as appropriate" interview with a more senior manager. Each interview seemed to have a slightly different objective while also white-boarding a technical problem.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Very fast process for me, but have heard that it went slow for some others. So varies.
    Got a phone screen with some technical questions, then an onsite within a few days, and an offer a few days after that.
    The interviews were good, lots of whiteboard coding questions but good questions, nothing stupid. Some basic sanity checks, i.e. very simple questions, some slightly more complicated (e.g. rearranging linked lists). Long day.
    If one or two interviewers give a solid thumbs down they often stop the process so they do not waste time, so if the interview is shorter than expected then expect bad news. If you make it to see the hiring manager it is a good sign.

Interview Questions

• Honestly don't remember, but I was not stuck anywhere so there was nothing too ridiculous. But they do expect you to think of edge cases and test cases, especially for an SDET.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate but should have. I asked for too little and got it. Research the market and ask for slightly more than you want.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

After my graduation, I posted my Resume at Microsoft's global career website, HR contacted and scheduled phone screen that was an hour long, I was invited for onsite interview full loop, the onsite loop involved first some information exchange with HR person, then I was approached by would be manager, he welcomed at the reception and sent over to another member on the team to be interviewed, I had 3 interviews back to back and one of them has been a lunch interview, then I met the would be manager (a test lead) again for the fourth interview, all first four interviews were whiteboard sessions, and we also chatted on my resume, past experience, general questions like where do see yourself in five years from now, etc etc. All the programming questions were on data structures and algorithms and core CS concepts. My fifth interview was with hiring manager (a Test manager), he also sent me to board for another whiteboard session, then asked me various test questions, like give test cases for testing the keyboard, coffee mug, MS Paint, then he started over resume and asked me questions on my research assistantship experience and projects that I completed there. All the interviewers were very respectful, between each interview they asked me if I cared for a drink. It ended up very happy and memorable experience, I was offered the job!

Interview Questions

• Should we ship the product that has known bugs and issues?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interview

Initial screening was done by an external company. They were polite but seemed to follow a script. They possibly did not understand the technical questions. In the end, I am not sure if the answer given was wrong or just did not meet their scripted answer.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interview on college campus through University Recruiting. First interview was nice and consisted of single technical coding question. Second round interviews in Redmond were more difficult and focused on data structures. Hard bu fair questions.

Interview Questions

• First round interview asked to write program that took a file of text, and then counted and stored all words from file.   1 Answer
    • Given a array of integers, write code to find the max possible sum of sub-arrays. Use arithmetic progression.   1 Answer
    • Given any two nodes in a binary tree, develop program that determined their highest common ancestor.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

good hiring process ,very planned and hospitable.
    well organized and paid for all the expenses ,communication was good and prompt and no hassle.
    one phone ,one on campus and 6 onsite interviews.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interview

The questions were basic, but then you make these simple programs and add robustness to them. i thought that it would be better to go with the easy stuff and it actually turned out to all be hard so there is really no way around it. But it is microsoft, so that makes sense

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online and interview in 2 weeks. Good people and smart interviewers. Awesome campus. It is truly the good company. Software developers come from good schools.Applied online and interview in 2 weeks. Good people and smart interviewers. Awesome campus. It is truly the good company. Software developers come from good schools.Applied online and interview in 2 weeks. Good people and smart interviewers. Awesome campus. It is truly the good company. Software developers come from good schools.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly. Interview consisted of technical questions mostly in algorithms ,Data-structures and test cases. Did not perform well in the first round as i am not used to early morning interviews.I did well in the latter rounds but i had already messed up my chances.