Microsoft Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

2,890 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

First, one of the team members called me on the phone and we had a short chat about what the role requires and my resume. Then I had a standard phone call with an HR person who set up the technical phone interview as the next step. After this step, I got invited to go onsite. After five rounds of interview we called it a day, and within a week I received an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with an HR person reaching out and doing a phone screening. They asked mostly personality questions but ended the interview with a puzzle.
    The onsite interview lasted from 9 am to 4 pm on the Redmond campus. During that time I had meetings with 5 different people and was ask 7 different white boarding questions. My advice to anyone preparing for the interview would be to buy a coding interview prep book, for example 'Cracking the Coding Interview', and memorizing all the answers.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 2-d array representing islands (with 1's) and ocean (with 0's). How do you count the number of islands. Note two adjacent 1's make a single island   Answer Question
    • Implement find and replace.   Answer Question
    • Print out a 2-d matrix in a spiral. This is similar to a more common problem, rotate a matrix 90 degrees.   Answer Question
    • Find the median of an unsorted list of integers in O(n) time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

First they will conduct a technical phone screen and then if you make if past the phone screen you will go to an onsite. Be sure to use cracking the coding interview when prepping my question was taken from the book and was slightly modified. Not a difficult interview and the recruiter will give you plenty of hints. Just be patient with yourself and relax. I think I overstressed myself over it and just had a bad day. Trust that you know your stuff if you've prepared, they're not trying to trick you.

Interview Questions

• Describe your past experience? How did you contribute to the product?   Answer Question
    • Compress a string with no external storage such as a HashMap.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

This was a telephonic interview. I was not asked anything related to the technologies that I had applied for (C#, SQL, XAML) but the questions were very generic (data structure and algorithms).

Interview Questions

• Was asked about different kinds of tree traversals. And was asked to write down the 8 queens problem algorithm.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on site interview followed by a phone interview. I was also invited for a follow up interview on site but the position was filled. Overall, the interview process was not stressful

Interview Questions

• You have 7 Identical marbles but one is slightly heavier than the others. You also have a balance scale. Identify which marble is heavier only using the scale twice   5 Answers

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via employee referral process. After phone call with Dev Lead I managed to fly to Redmond. It was 3 round interview loop in one day, second day I received offer.

Interview Questions

• coding on white table (data structures), solution architecture related questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Princeton, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

Interviewed on-campus with a recruiter (was about 30 minutes) and went through some personal questions as well as a technical question. It wasn't a difficult question, but the interviewer insisted that I was incorrect when the solution he gave me was the exact one I gave him.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview, which was very smooth. Asked 2 coding questions on a sheet of paper and was given a chance to ask the interviewer questions. Then flown out to do an on-site interview.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter for the SDE position for their hiring event. I was asked to register and will get the Online test in a week. It's been more than a month since than. I tried to reach the recruiter many times but won't respond back. Any other recruiters won't accept my application since I was contacted previously by other recruiter. I don't understand whether they really are looking for engineers or an applicant just suffers because of all this inside conflicts. It's not believable from such a good company.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and asked some basic questions ("Why do you want to work on this team," etc.), followed with a technical phone screening; I was told they wanted to fly me out to Seattle the same day. Had a full day of on-site interviews - meeting with the recruiter, manager of the team, 3 technical interviews, and a lunch interview (total of 6). Overall all of the interviewers were very friendly and knew how to jog a person's memory without giving them an answer.

Interview Questions

• Cannot be disclosed due to an NDA.   1 Answer