Microsoft Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,263 Interview Reviews

3.3

1,263 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2016.

Interview

The first interview went well. I introduced myself to the Microsoft recruiter and delivered my 30 second elevator pitch. Questions and answers were exchanged. Ensure to dress business casual or in a suit depending on applied position. Go with confidence and be prepared.

MACH- TAM, CONSULTANT, PROJECT MANAGER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met with a recruiter on campus. First interview was a one on one interview for about 45 minutes. I thought interview went well with her. She was friendly, nice interviewer. Two weeks later, informed having an interview in Bellavue, WA. Given a month to prepare. First interview with two people went well. But the second one, I think my nerves got the best of me. However I was one of the few with four people to interview me. Most had two interviews with three people. Interviewed with a current TAM, who questions were a bit tough. I wish I had only three people to interview, because a little bit easier to interview. The current TAM new at asking questions I think, because some of the questions were not questions I had experienced in terms of behavioral questions. He seemed new at asking questions.

According to the people at Microsoft you are considered the best of the best and just want to confirm that. Relax if you can. I was excited to be there, that I think the excitement came thru as nerves. Overall friendly group, but mostly behavioral questions that I had not seen here when researching or encountered before. Was told last minute only have one location to choose from for the MACH program and that definitely considering for the TAM role. It was the place near or outside of Dallas. I am not interested in the Dallas location. Usually allow to choose from three offices. I wanted to go Bellavue, WA. Recruiters let you know within 48 hours of the interview if Microsoft will give you an offer. Recruiter emailed me to let me know Microsoft did not give me an offer. May request to know in advance, also given a sheet to fill out what you would like your start date to be either in Febuary or July. The recruiter cannot provide any feedback on the interviews due to legal issues is what was told to me.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult person. What did you do ? How did you handle it?
      Do you know anyone at the company?
      If you had to choose between loyalty and losing a million dollars in regards to customers, what would you choose? Why?
      Why should I not hire you?
      Why Microsoft?
      If you receive a problem from your customers, what do you do with the information? Are you ok with being in a confidential area, no facebook, no phones, or any social media?
      If you saw Satya, the CEO, what advice would I give him on improving Microsoft?Like what would you tell him to make his company better? What advice would you give him about running Microsoft?
      What products would you like to improve and why? what are some of your dislikes about Microsoft?
      ( Im not a CEO, so I am not sure how to answer that question)
      If you see a drop in revenue, how do you respond?
      How do you priortize your customers?
      Why did you go back to school?
      1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview with them. Only had 30 minutes to talk to them. The first half was standard behavioral questions, then I was asked conceptual technical questions and 1 product design question.

Interview Questions

• Explain the internet to a 5 year old   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Skype interview with employee from Seattle office. Began by asking me which position I preferred: PM or Dev. Told him PM, and he then said he was going to give me my technical interview. I asked if that meant I was going to have another interview and he said no? Then proceeded to just ask me about Java, C fundamentals, and what happens when you type in a URL address.

Interview Questions

• Are there any complications in C when you try to typecast an Integer to an enum?   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through on campus interview

actually not technically selected for first round, was originally an "alternate" so had to wait until all the first round people picked their times and if any were left then i got to pick my time

First round interview went great: super casual and friendly woman who was an alum from my school. Regular interview questions and then marketing specific ones

Heard back a few weeks later (maybe 2.5), flown out to final round in Redmond, WA
    Was an amazing experience everyone was super happy to see you there. Also tons of other groups e.g. Finance also interviewing that day (was their second biggest Interview day of the year). Everyone in the marketing cohort had 3-4 interviews with senior people directly from the teams who wanted to hire them (e.g. Surface team, Xbox team, windows 10 team). The interviews that say depend on who you get; some interviewers run it like a casual conversation, and others ask marketing specific and brain teaser questions, so prepare for both types

Basically, know why you want to work in tech and particularly at Microsoft, especially if you don't have a tech background. As long as your confident, creative, and prepared, you'll be fine!

Interview Questions

• -Whats something marketed well / poorly
      -Microsoft product that's marketed well
      -Name an object you use every day and how would you market it to your college campus
      -Your resume doesn't look like it should be here. Why Microsoft and why marketing?
      -X company had a revolutionary technology but growth has stagnated for the past 6 months. They surveyed their users and still can't figure out what's going on. What's the problem and how would you fix it?
      -How many ice cubes are in Redmond right now?
      -Whats your favorite design tool and how would you market it?
      Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was screened by a recruiter, then briefly interviewed by the hiring manager, who called 20 minutes early. I was called in for a face to face interview. I really felted like the entire process and time with every interviewer was rushed. I felt like they are trying to get their minorities interview numbers up.

Interview Questions

• Tel me about how you would approach new business opportunities?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

After being referred for a PM internship, I interviewed on my college campus. This was a brief, 30-minute interview, which consisted of a few behavioral questions and one coding question on the whiteboard. It was a relatively simple question about sorting characters in an array. Overall, it wasn't too difficult, but I flubbed the whiteboard question. Fortunately, I realized my mistake and told it to my interviewer (this was when most of the interview time was up, so there was no time to correct it on the board).

A few weeks later, I heard that I had passed the first round, but PM internships for that summer were full. My recruiter encouraged me to contact her the following Fall, when I was interviewing for full-time roles. I did, and I went straight to final rounds in Redmond that Fall.

My onsite was one of the "interview circuit" days, where 70-80 people (all interviewing for different roles) were interviewed at the same time. Most people had 3-4 interviews. It was hectic and nervewracking, but Microsoft took care of all the logistics, and all of the interviewers were very energetic, friendly, and conversational. In fact, I can easily say this was the most fun day of onsite interviews I've ever had. All of my questions for onsites were behavioral / experience and design questions, which was slightly surprising. I expected a coding question or two.

Just before lunch, a recruiter pulled me aside and asked if I was available for a fifth interview. (Make sure you clear your schedule for the whole day for an onsite.) This last one was with a Group Program Manager at Microsoft, and just like the other interviewers, he was friendly, energetic, and conversational. He asked a few experience and behavioral questions, and we ended the day with an interesting design question.

I interviewed on a Friday, and on the following Tuesday I got a phone call from my recruiter, saying that I would receive an offer!

Overall, it was a wonderful, challenging, and fun experience. There was a lot of dead time when my recruiter was waiting to hear back from various departments to schedule a phone screen, hear back from the interviewers from phone screen, submit me for final rounds, schedule final rounds, get airfare for final rounds, etc. Aside from all the waiting, the interview process was extremely smooth, and really, genuinely fun.

Interview Questions

• A few technical questions might come up, but behavioral, experience, and design questions were by far and away more important. I prepared with Cracking the PM Interview, and that worked really well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I have met a recruiter at my university's computer science career fair, got a coding interview on campus and then flew to Seattle for a day full of interviews. Some were technical interviews, most of which open-ended questions, some were behavioral interviews, mostly on background and experiences.

Interview Questions

• How would you gather data from a bunch of computers into a common cloud?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2016.

Interview

It was a half an hour long face to face interview. Few behavioural questions were asked and a programming question was asked in the end. The interviewer was very humble and nice.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied via the MSFT careers site, and then was referred by an FTE. Since I had an internal referral, they bypassed the phone interview and I went straight in for a full round of in-person interviews; I interviewed with five people in five separate one-on-one sessions over the course of about seven hours. Interviewers consisted of the hiring manager, the skip-level manager (director), an individual in another group that partners closely with their group, and a couple teammates the successful candidate would work with. Every single individual was very nice, seemingly genuine, obviously smart, and very excited about the company and direction their group was headed. They were clearly focused on ensuring they picked the right person to accomplish their specific goals.

Interview Questions

• All interviews were truly very conversational. Each interviewer started with something like, "Tell me about yourself; describe your background and what you're looking to do next." They also asked, "Why Microsoft? Why this particular role/team?" After that, a question would spark a real back-and-forth conversation with situational/behavioral questions laced in to keep it going. Go in prepared for this type of situation. Be absolutely genuine, and just have meaningful conversations; don't fabricate stories or exaggerate your skills or experience.   Answer Question