Microsoft Marketing Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 22, 2017

3.3

119 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Relaxed interviews... very casual... super friendly. Managers were helpful, and gave me time to answer my concerns. A key is to have very good questions after the interview. I studied their products and challenges a lot.

Interview Questions

• Case Studies about real products
      Describe previous projects in the past   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position in November on a whim - I don't have the best luck with online applications, so I didn't expect anything to happen.

But amazingly enough, in late January, I received an email from a Microsoft recruiter informing me that they wanted to set up an initial phone call. Having had some dismal luck with job hunting, I was overwhelmed and excited.

The 30-minute phone call was set up a couple of weeks later with the same recruiter. She asked me a good mix of questions, including some behavioral questions and a case question. They give you a lot of resources to study from and I took advantage of it, and I think this definitely helped with the phone call.

It took them some time to figure out the headcount for this program, so they were able to get back to me about the on-site interview about a month later.

Microsoft does an amazing job taking care of its candidates. They'll fly you in the day before your interview and you also have the option of either leaving the day of or the day after. They encourage you to get a feel for Seattle, but if you're going to work at Microsoft for a couple of years, you'll need to like where you're living.

The day started at 9 a.m., and one by one, each candidate (half of us were intern candidates, the other half were full-time candidates), was pulled into a separate room by a recruiter. They briefed us about the day, asked us about any other offers we had and sent us on our way.

From what I've heard (and read) on Glassdoor, if you make it past lunchtime, it's usually a good sign. I had two hour-long interviews before lunchtime, had lunch with a recent ACE Marketing hire and had three more hour-long interviews afterwards. I had a great feeling and followed up with each person I interviewed to thank them.

Nearly two week later, I heard back from my onsite interview recruiter saying that I got the job! After I read over their compensation package (which is very generous), I accepted.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about create a campaign for Office 365?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Unfocused and disjointed. Interviewers did not show up or were late. Conversation ranged from industry trends to complaining about their roles. Interviews happen at different buildings on campus which is nice as you see more of the organization. Same questions were asked repeatedly. Was left with feeling that group did not really know what role would produce. People were genuinely nice. Know your business and relate it to Microsoft's as much as possible.

Phone call from recruiter led to phone call from hiring manager led to one day interview loop on campus, but since people did not show up, there were several follow-up calls.

Interview Questions

• What do you think Microsoft should do to better compete in the marketplace?   Answer Question

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

It is an in person process of four plus people. The recruiter will set it up, then you get a list of a few people and times. You go to the reception and they will pick you up. Each person hands you off to another and you would wait in lobby. Assume they are talking about what to drill on. Also if you don't make it past lunch you probably do not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Dealing with ambiguity, times that conflicting business or resource issues. Also how did you get feedback and work with others. What you liked about past jobs, what you would do different.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

A Very formal and structural interview, including slightly touch of technical aspect to drill your knowledge. Some questions are very creative, and they wanted to understand how you interact with the problem solving skills

Industry Market Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview

Initial 40 minute telephone interview with Microsoft Recruiter followed a few days later by 50 minutes telephone interview with Hiring Manager. Face-to-face interview a week later with hands-on person with deep practical knowledge of the job responsibilities. All three interviews were managed very efficiently, with excellent communication about what I should expect during the process.

Interview Questions

• Discuss the government regulations applicable to customers and resulting opportunities for Microsoft.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

- Applied online
    - Contacted by recruiter via email
    - Phone interview (Recruiter) to filter out candidates
    - Recruiter scheduled a series of in-person interviews with six people
    - Six in-person interviews scheduled, with the last two being the hiring manager and the General Manager
    - After my final interview, the recruiter contacted me and said I received a "thumbs up" from all of the interviewers

Interview Questions

• What was the most ambiguous situation you've experienced on the job? How were you able to find a resolution? (Didn't find the questions tough. I actually went in prepared for a "how to move a mountain" type question)   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was a transfer internally so, my hiring process was pretty straight forward. The roles I had once I got into Microsoft were pretty much created for me. This was one of the advantages of working in a growing area.

Interview Questions

• In general, the most difficult questions for Marketers at Microsoft center around being able to clearly explain both a success and a failure, as well as being able to problem-solve real time. Many times there's a problem proposed that will be either very specific to the role, or more generic. Successful candidates will "show their work" in terms of how to lay out a proposed fix or campaign to resolve the issue presented.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation phase was straightforward and felt like both sides were able to get what they want. Managers do not have a lot of leeway in IC roles in terms of salary but they always have a few $$$ left for candidates they really want.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

The first round was a phone interview with HR, second round was a phone interview with the hiring manager, and then the third round was an interview loop with 3 managers and the GM for the team. The questions were pretty orthodox, they asked about my interest in technology and Microsoft products, my previous experiences, and then they put me through a couple "cases" to test my skills at building and executing marketing strategies

Event Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

Recruiter was pleasant though communications were delayed.