Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,323 Interview Reviews

3.2

2,323 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Gone through recruiter and then arranged a skype interview as I was not in that place.then done skype interview in which He shared a link .by clicking that link I need to write code on that window.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter sent me an invitation for an on-campus technical interview. I was asked to schedule the onsite the next day. I asked for three weeks to prepare. The onsite process is pretty standard as many other companies. I had four interviews all of them with senior developers/managers in the respective teams. I was asked questions related to DP and Backtracking. CTCI along with decent practice from Leetcode is enough to crack the interview. We need to be careful testing the code we write.

Interview Questions

• On-campus - related to a data-structure design
      onsite - DP, Backtracking and a question on palindromes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine currently working at Microsoft. I first did a 45 minute on-campus interview which consisted of one easy question plus some behaviorals. Unfortunately, Microsoft had fulfilled their hiring quota for the year, but a spot opened up in mid-December and I scheduled my on-site to be in January.

The on-site consisted of five interviews about an hour long each, with some standard data structures/algorithm questions plus one system design question. The fifth interviewer also asked some behaviorals. The algorithm questions were probably around LeetCode Medium level.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of n unsorted key-value tuples which are too large to fit in memory, return the k tuples with the greatest value where n is several orders of magnitude greater than k. This list may be dispersed across multiple machines.   2 Answers
    • Given a tree of order n which is neither complete or a search tree, write a function to construct a new tree of order m in-place. Memory usage is bound to 2 times the size of the tree. The new tree must be complete, and a node A cannot be a child of another node B in the new tree if A was an ancestor of B in the old tree.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of movement commands (up, down, left, right, undo previous action), write a function that returns the final (x,y) coordinate. Followup: how would you handle other kinds of commands and undoing them? What kind of design pattern is this?   2 Answers
    • Given two very large timestamped sorted log files that do not fit in memory (possibly on different machines), merge them in timestamp order. Provide some test cases.   2 Answers
    • Describe how you would design a data experimentation platform.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process was very smooth and it was a great learning experience. The interview was 4-5 rounds. Initially had a phone screening then got the onsite interview call from the HR within 3 days of the phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Find the longest palindromic sub-string. Reverse a linked list. Matching braces in a string, Design question on BST and OOPs concepts   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2017.

Interview

Had the phone interview with the BING team. Basically was a coding interview. First thing over phone is to open an online collaboration tool in order to see how you answer the question by writing the code. Asked a few background questions such as when will you graduate and then started to ask coding questions. You can answer in any programming languages you are familiar with. After that I got the time to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you grade your c++ level? From 1 to 10?   2 Answers

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had the interview on campus, the interviewer was really cool and friendly, went straight to business asking me about what language I liked best, then onto technical questions. I also asked about his intern experience and he shared his stories with me. He typed my responses the whole time which made me a little nervous, but he had to do that.

Interview Questions

• Merge two sorted linked list into one sorted one and what is the time and space complexity?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was messaged by Microsoft recruiters from Linkedin. They sent me an online assesment which you have to complete in 60 minutes. If you pass that you will be able to go on-site. I interviewed at Microsoft on campus in Redmond for a full day loop of 6 people. Everyone was super friendly and super excited about future of Microsoft under new CEO leadership.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA Contract. Algorithmic and Design Architecture Problems. They drill you deep on multi threading and distributed systems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a referral sent in by a friend and had a phone screen with the manager (mostly questions about the team and my past experience, followed by a quick coding question). Followed by about a month of inactivity and then was brought in to an onsite with 4 people (3 engineers, 1 manager) and a lunch at the cafeteria. Each round involved talking about personal projects and experience, followed by a technical question and a demo of the team's product in several cases. Surprised by a 5th interviewer pop up at the end who seemed unaware of me and was on his phone and walked off in the middle to get tea. Maybe this was a test to see how I would respond? Was called a couple days later with a negotiable offer, only minor problems with difficulty getting hold of the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Given 4 coins of values 1, 5, 10, and 20, find all the combinations of coins that can add up to K.   2 Answers
    • Create a button menu using Javascript.   1 Answer
    • Find ways to insert data collection in Javascript events.   1 Answer
    • Given a linked list, put all the odd elements in lexicographical order list in front of the even elements in lexicographical order in place.   1 Answer
    • Design chess using OOP.   1 Answer

Interview

I've applied to FTE positions for years on their public site, and never gotten anywhere. However, this time I had an internal recommendation. So I went from applying to in an interview loop within a week. No phone screen or pre-screen of any sort.

The full interview process was comprised of 4 one hour interviews, with various Program Managers and Software Engineers. We did white board coding and talked a lot about my past work. They seemed to really appreciate that I have an UWA in the store already, with good reviews.

After the interview, it took about a month to get my offer, however, this was also over the Christmas holiday season. Some delays where due to approvers being on PTO.

Interview Questions

• I was sked a variety of questions surrounding the more advanced areas of C# and JavaScript.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I received a generous offer, but not necessarily what I was hoping for. I made a counter offer, which was accepted same day. Overall very easy, and the recruiter was very helpful and understanding.

Principal Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

it is tough but smooth overall, it takes a couple of hours to finish and at the end, really exhausted to answer any more questions,it is tough but smooth overall, it takes a couple of hours to finish and at the end, really exhausted to answer any more questions

Interview Questions

• traveral a tree in different ways   1 Answer

See What Microsoft Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar     Current Anonymous Employee

Pros: “Microsoft hires the best and smartest people in the industry. They have great technology leadership and strategy for the future. Microsoft will help you grow personal and professionally...”“Microsoft hires the best and smartest people in the industry. They have great technology leadership and strategy for the future. Microsoft will help you grow personal and professionally. The company invest in employees with training and also programs to help the community. Microsoft does care and has been doing this for years with investments to help many nonprofit organizations and also helping schools to have the newest and best technology to make the future of innovation being built on Microsoft. The top priority for the company is their customers but they care about their employees welfare. Work life balance is not only encouraged but promoted by management. Satya Nadela has made Microsoft better and continues to improve their offering. Microsoft provides productivity to customers on a multitude of platforms. Microsoft Azure is the best offering in the industry period. If you want to be at a company at the forefront of the best technology then you should make Microsoft a priority to join. My experiences have all been positive and would highly recommend the company to anyone in the industry or my family. Microsoft promotes the programs of giving to the community plus has a large woman executives on the team. They have done it right in the respect of hiring diversity and the best in the industry.” – Full Review