Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 19, 2018
7,215 Interview Reviews

3.2

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online. Took about a month before I was able to schedule a Skype interview. Had a 30-minutes Skype interview that was relatively easy. Most of the questions asked were problem solving. I believe the recruiter was looking to see how I think through problems.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Had a difficult on-campus interview about two weeks after career fair.
    It was 1 round of 30 minute interview.
    Next round would be the final onsite interview at Seattle.
    Rejected about a month later.
    A friend who aced the interview was also rejected.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

5 interviews throughout the day, all whiteboard style, not specifically themed or ordered- didn't get any question 100% right but got very close on all of them. started in morning, break for lunch with one of my interviewers.

Interview Questions

• algorithm for finding the largest rectangle area in the bar graph   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an internship before. Converted to full time offer.
    Got the internship by applying through a college recruiter. 1. Phone call interview. 2. On college pen and paper interview. 3. Got flown to Seattle for on-site. 4. Got an offer within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• The door toggling question. There are 100 lockers, a man runs from left to right toggling the door from open to locked, skipping every other door. Does that again and again, toggling the multiples of ith door. In the end, how many doors are open. Derive a formula.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied on campus where I had an initial interview. Afterwards, they flew me out to Redmond where I had a series of 5 interviews (4 coding and 1 lunch interview). Strange thing was that I applied for a role in Mountain View, CA but halfway through my day, I got an email from my recruiter telling me that the role that I was applying for was actually not available. So I'm not really sure why I was there but I continued with the interview anyways. Ended up not getting an offer because the role I applied for was actually not available. At least I had a lot of fun in Seattle since Microsoft covers most of your expenses!

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes the produce of two given inputs without using the multiplication operation. Try to do this as fast as you can (O(log(n) or better)   1 Answer
    • Given a binary tree, print the tree in counter-clockwise direction (print the left side of the tree top-to-bottom, print all the leaves left-to-right, print right side of the tree bottom-to-top).   1 Answer

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

This was my experience applying for Microsoft's customer-facing technology roles (which later turned into the MACH program during the course of my application).

1. Spoke to a rep on campus during career week and turned in my resume. Also applied online.

2. About 3 weeks later, had a 30-minute phone call with a generic recruiter. All behavioral questions.

3. About a month later, received an email from my school's recruiter saying that they were having trouble fitting everyone in for final interviews and that I may have to wait a while. He asked me to email him if I got other offers in the meantime.

4. A week later, I got another offer from a different company, so I emailed my recruiter letting him know. He told me he would need two people to cancel on him for me to be able to interview before my offer deadline, so I didn't expect anything to happen.

5. A week later, I got a call saying that a spot to interview had opened up for the following day in Texas. I needed to hop on a plane the next morning at 5AM and prepare a presentation, but I figured it's final interviews at Microsoft...I'm going to make it happen!

6. The final interviews were just two behavioral interviews with three people, and in one of those I gave my presentation. Everyone was very friendly and sincere. No one tried to stump me with difficult questions. I was surprised that there were no technical questions, but I think they were more interested in my ability to explain things on my resume and hold a conversation than technical skills. (As they say, it's easier to teach someone technical skills than social skills.)

7. Exactly 1 week later, I received the official offer letter!

Explorer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and also contacted our local recruiter (found her on the microsoft website). Weeks later was contacted by a different recruiter to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was just behavioral questions and to see if you have a passion for technology. The next day after the phone interview, I was invited for an onsite interview. This was the last interview date of the ear (December 12 2017). I had about a month between scheduling the interview and the interview date. The interview experience was great, the recruiters were really friendly and the microsoft campus was awesome. We were flown to redmond and stayed in a hotel. Reimbursed for meals and uber costs. After the interview we were all given microsoft jackets for free and a discount voucher at the microsoft store. Great experience. Heard back about 2-weeks later (longer than others and I was getting anxious). Others heard back much earlier.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

phone call, chat about past projects, one coding question with follow ups, one design question about how to design a search system for information retrieval which can deal with multi-modal data input.

Interview Questions

• describe one of the challenges you had in your projects and how you tackle it.   Answer Question
    • given a number, permute the digits to form the next larger permutation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

1 on campus (30 mins) and 5 onsite interviews (1 HR each except one, which was 2hrs). Every interview had atleast one coding question to be done on the white board. Sometimes even more than one

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I interviewed with 4 different people. The first 3 were mostly background/resume review and talking about projects I had worked on. One of them asked me a technical question about sorting/complexity. The final interview was purely about cultural fit. Everyone was very friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed.