Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview Questions

3.4

59 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Jose, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

The phone interview was very professional with good questions. My first 1:1 interview started with puzzles with no technical questions or questions about my experience. Next interviewers asked technical questions, but they were very easy, and PUZZLES. Puzzles/algorithms were a determination factor.

Interview Questions

• Puzzle about horses and races. Find min number of races to find the fastest horse (see web).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2009.

Interview

Phone Interview:
    1.Why Microsoft?

On Site
    1. Staffing Partner: Which company would you choose if you get an offer from the company you are interning at or Microsoft?
    2. First Interviewer (Senior Developer): Tell me about yourself?
    Tell me about your project?

3. Peer Software Engineer: Gave me design question about designing a gambling website where all the participants know that the other guy is not playing foul.

4. Lunch interview: Asked given a BST find the second largest element?

Interview Questions

• Gave me design question about designing a gambling website where all the participants know that the other guy is not playing foul.   Answer Question
    • Given a BST find the second largest element?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in June 2009.

Interview

Got a friend within the company to make a referral with my resume. Received email not long after asking for a 1/2 hr long phone interview. Had to download meeting software that allows the other side to see what you are typing in real time. Interviewer asked technical questions, mainly basic programming questions like string manipulation and binary trees and some pertaining to servers. Way beyond my knowledge as a fresh graduate.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between public, private and protected classes?   1 Answer
    • Describe a binary search tree   Answer Question
    • What is a garbage collector and how does it function?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2009.

Interview

I applied on microsoft.com/careers for multiple positions. About a month later I was emailed a document which included some questions asking me to rate myself in various programming languages as well as a coding question. The question was to implement a function that returned true if a linked list had a cycle in it.

After filling out and returning the document I was setup for a phone interview with the team. During the phone interview I was asked some soft questions about my interests in technology, background, etc. I was also asked how I would implement a function to convert a character array into an integer. I was told I would be hearing from them again.

The next day the recruiter emailed me to setup an in person interview in Redmond, Washington. On the day of the interview I went to the wrong building and ended up barely making my interview time. Tip - arrive early!

*Interviewer 1 - SDET: Soft questions about background, then jumped into a coding question. How would I reverse words in a paragraph of text. I coded it out and he pointed out a bug, which I fixed.

*Interviewer 2 - Lead SDE: Jumped right into a coding question. There's a tree where in addition to the left/right pointers, there's another pointer set to NULL. I was to write a function to traverse the tree, initializing that pointer to the nodes sibling. So basically just connecting up the levels of the tree.

*Interviewer 3 - Lead SDET: Print tree level by level. I coded up a solution in 10 minutes and ran some test cases through it. He then sold me on his team.

*Interviewer 4 - Lead SDET: No coding question. The entire interview was me writing a test plan to test a robot.

*Interviewer 5 - Development Manager: Some chit chat about resume, then a coding question. Print the count of letters in an array. So if the array was "ababac", I would print a - 3, b - 2, c - 1.

After the interview the manager said I would hear from them soon. Next day I was given an offer, contingent on a background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Don't take the first offer, especially if you know you did well in the interview. Ask for more and a sign-on bonus.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2009.

Interview

I had two simultaneous loops for two different positions at Microsoft, got selected in both and I accepted the one I thought was best suited for me.
    The interview process started with emailed questionnaire that included personal + problem solving type questions. Then the loops themselves contained 5 interviews each. The interviewers were from the team that needed the candidate.
    I was asked to comment on lot of actual scenario/daily problems and their solution. The 1:1 interview had questions mainly on algorithms and testing scenarios.
    Overall it was a typical Microsoft interview. The key to crack it is being confident answering and being strong in the fundamentals (datastructures, algorithms)

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will take in a phone number and output all possible alphabetical combinations (found in a normal phone keypad) for it.   Answer Question
    • How would you test the function above?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2008.

Interview

It was a very smooth process. It helps to work as a contractor or vendor for a team in which you are interested before going full-time to access the team.

Interview Questions

• A question about Linked Lists   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was quite short since I jumped on the offer I was given as it was very good

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2008.

Interview

It was mostly consisted of normal c/c++ code, algorithm, puzzle solving. they also asked concepts related OS data structure and networking. The whole process took 2 day. 1 they had a written test which was followed by 4 rounds of technical interviews. Interview was of medium complexity and i answered most of the questions easily. Overall i had a very positive experience. They also did background and educational verification after the interview and before giving the offer letter

Interview Questions

• write a program to check that opening and closing braces match   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through a university recruiter, and got to do an on-campus interview. The question was very easy (add an item to a sorted linked list) and I got to fly to Sydney for the next round. The second round consisted of 4 individual interviews with different people, with a range of difficulty for their interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Draw the system architecture of one of your projects   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Planning part of interview was not good. There were lot of confusion regarding timings, schedule, place etc. Interview length was good none, out of the 4 round, took more than an hour.

Interview Questions

• Director round was a bit confusing as I was asked to track mineral water of a mineral water plant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiated

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Interview

This was through IJP from within MS itself being a MS employee.
    Really bad interview process in MS - GD. I had to push the HR to setup my interview as if I am the HR. Than again just 2 rounds in the whole day from morning 10 to evening 6 and I was told to leave without any feedback. Again I had to run behind the HR for getting the status update and finally after 10 days I was again called for an Hiring Manager round which went for 2 hours and that too instead of managerial question the HM round went into technical stuff. And as usual again I was asked to leave for the day and no update till 1 month even after running behind the HR a lot.

Got to know that work culture and the actual work is not good and also did not at all like the way Hr and the management treated me even before joining them.