Microsoft Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,292 Interview Reviews

3.3

1,292 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

1. Met recruiter at University campus career fair
    2. Had university campus on-site interview for about 30-45 minutes
    3. Flown out to Redmond, WA for a full day of interviews.
    4. Received candidacy update one week later

There is no correct method for preparing for this interview. It was evident that Microsoft valued unique answers and perspectives. However, it is fundamental to have solid problem solving, analytical, technical (coding), and 'people' skills for this position. No offer, but a great experience for future interviews to come as I graduate college.

If flown out to Redmond, prepare for a long day of interviews. I started the morning very solid with my answers, but became slower and tired in my last round where I was asked very important questions. Practice talking *a lot*.

Interview Questions

• Design an air-conditioning system for a new hotel.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview, followed by fly out rounds with multiple teams on main campus. Each team had different questions and assessed different aspects - coding skills (minimal focus), design skills (heavy focus), systems and processes (medium focus)

Interview Questions

• Brain teasers (light bulbs in the room, switches outside)
      Estimation (how many red cars in Chicago)
      Design - e.g an elevator system for a high rise   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

The recruiter was very distracted and took several other calls (from other people) while on calls with me placing me on hold several times through the two week process. The interview process was classic old school Microsoft, too long, too many people and it confusing since no one could answer questions about the hiring manager and the role itself except to say many comments about a would-be peer who is a rockstar. The biggest challenge with this interview is that it was not focused on the role itself, it was more about my past and future rather than what it took to perform in the current opportunity, which was not well described verbally nor did the interview really focus on the written job description.

Interview Questions

• Describe a ideal/dream day at work, describe a time when you were and were not successful at driving feedback into the product group, do you think social media should be considered for gathering feature related feedback, have you ever been a feature PM in your past work experience.   2 Answers

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2016.

Interview

The first interview went well. I introduced myself to the Microsoft recruiter and delivered my 30 second elevator pitch. Questions and answers were exchanged. Ensure to dress business casual or in a suit depending on applied position. Go with confidence and be prepared.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   1 Answer
    • Explain a time when you resolved a difficult problem.   1 Answer
    • What is the last project you completed?   1 Answer

MACH- TAM, CONSULTANT, PROJECT MANAGER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met with a recruiter on campus. First interview was a one on one interview for about 45 minutes. I thought interview went well with her. She was friendly, nice interviewer. Two weeks later, informed having an interview in Bellavue, WA. Given a month to prepare. First interview with two people went well. But the second one, I think my nerves got the best of me. However I was one of the few with four people to interview me. Most had two interviews with three people. Interviewed with a current TAM, who questions were a bit tough. I wish I had only three people to interview, because a little bit easier to interview. The current TAM new at asking questions I think, because some of the questions were not questions I had experienced in terms of behavioral questions. He seemed new at asking questions.

According to the people at Microsoft you are considered the best of the best and just want to confirm that. Relax if you can. I was excited to be there, that I think the excitement came thru as nerves. Overall friendly group, but mostly behavioral questions that I had not seen here when researching or encountered before. Was told last minute only have one location to choose from for the MACH program and that definitely considering for the TAM role. It was the place near or outside of Dallas. I am not interested in the Dallas location. Usually allow to choose from three offices. I wanted to go Bellavue, WA. Recruiters let you know within 48 hours of the interview if Microsoft will give you an offer. Recruiter emailed me to let me know Microsoft did not give me an offer. May request to know in advance, also given a sheet to fill out what you would like your start date to be either in Febuary or July. The recruiter cannot provide any feedback on the interviews due to legal issues is what was told to me.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult person. What did you do ? How did you handle it?
      Do you know anyone at the company?
      If you had to choose between loyalty and losing a million dollars in regards to customers, what would you choose? Why?
      Why should I not hire you?
      Why Microsoft?
      If you receive a problem from your customers, what do you do with the information? Are you ok with being in a confidential area, no facebook, no phones, or any social media?
      If you saw Satya, the CEO, what advice would I give him on improving Microsoft?Like what would you tell him to make his company better? What advice would you give him about running Microsoft?
      What products would you like to improve and why? what are some of your dislikes about Microsoft?
      ( Im not a CEO, so I am not sure how to answer that question)
      If you see a drop in revenue, how do you respond?
      How do you priortize your customers?
      Why did you go back to school?   1 Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through on campus interview

actually not technically selected for first round, was originally an "alternate" so had to wait until all the first round people picked their times and if any were left then i got to pick my time

First round interview went great: super casual and friendly woman who was an alum from my school. Regular interview questions and then marketing specific ones

Heard back a few weeks later (maybe 2.5), flown out to final round in Redmond, WA
    Was an amazing experience everyone was super happy to see you there. Also tons of other groups e.g. Finance also interviewing that day (was their second biggest Interview day of the year). Everyone in the marketing cohort had 3-4 interviews with senior people directly from the teams who wanted to hire them (e.g. Surface team, Xbox team, windows 10 team). The interviews that say depend on who you get; some interviewers run it like a casual conversation, and others ask marketing specific and brain teaser questions, so prepare for both types

Basically, know why you want to work in tech and particularly at Microsoft, especially if you don't have a tech background. As long as your confident, creative, and prepared, you'll be fine!

Interview Questions

• -Whats something marketed well / poorly
      -Microsoft product that's marketed well
      -Name an object you use every day and how would you market it to your college campus
      -Your resume doesn't look like it should be here. Why Microsoft and why marketing?
      -X company had a revolutionary technology but growth has stagnated for the past 6 months. They surveyed their users and still can't figure out what's going on. What's the problem and how would you fix it?
      -How many ice cubes are in Redmond right now?
      -Whats your favorite design tool and how would you market it?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied via the MSFT careers site, and then was referred by an FTE. Since I had an internal referral, they bypassed the phone interview and I went straight in for a full round of in-person interviews; I interviewed with five people in five separate one-on-one sessions over the course of about seven hours. Interviewers consisted of the hiring manager, the skip-level manager (director), an individual in another group that partners closely with their group, and a couple teammates the successful candidate would work with. Every single individual was very nice, seemingly genuine, obviously smart, and very excited about the company and direction their group was headed. They were clearly focused on ensuring they picked the right person to accomplish their specific goals.

Interview Questions

• All interviews were truly very conversational. Each interviewer started with something like, "Tell me about yourself; describe your background and what you're looking to do next." They also asked, "Why Microsoft? Why this particular role/team?" After that, a question would spark a real back-and-forth conversation with situational/behavioral questions laced in to keep it going. Go in prepared for this type of situation. Be absolutely genuine, and just have meaningful conversations; don't fabricate stories or exaggerate your skills or experience.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview with them. Only had 30 minutes to talk to them. The first half was standard behavioral questions, then I was asked conceptual technical questions and 1 product design question.

Interview Questions

• Explain the internet to a 5 year old   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Skype interview with employee from Seattle office. Began by asking me which position I preferred: PM or Dev. Told him PM, and he then said he was going to give me my technical interview. I asked if that meant I was going to have another interview and he said no? Then proceeded to just ask me about Java, C fundamentals, and what happens when you type in a URL address.

Interview Questions

• Are there any complications in C when you try to typecast an Integer to an enum?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was screened by a recruiter, then briefly interviewed by the hiring manager, who called 20 minutes early. I was called in for a face to face interview. I really felted like the entire process and time with every interviewer was rushed. I felt like they are trying to get their minorities interview numbers up.

Interview Questions

• Tel me about how you would approach new business opportunities?   2 Answers