Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

6,571 Interview Reviews

3.2

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

In-person interview. 3 interviews of 60 minutes. Interview occurred on campus at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, WA. Spoke with 2 high up optical engineers and one recent hire. One interview was very difficult and intense, while others were more laid back. All had many technical questions and lots of white board ray tracing.

Interview Questions

• Off-axis parabolic mirror ray tracing   2 Answers

Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I can't remember exactly what was the process, but it was simple and easygoing and very nice, high tech, fast . The interview process was very helpful and informative. I'll try again later to apply for another position because it'd a very good place and environment to work at, detailed, organized, good benifets plus good careerr too.

Business Program Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I had an informational review with the Manager in March and was invited for an interview loop. All my discussion with the manager were very positive and the manager gave false hope during the end of the interview with a strong interest of hiring and that I am the strongest candidate. I receive a note from the recruiter after waiting for 1 week that hiring manager decided to move forward with the vendor they had in the team. Why wasting candidates time seriously ! Respect candidates and improve your recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Interview questions only   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WV) in April 2017.

Interview

Nice people but they were not prepared. At the end of 5 people the interview was over with a minimal amount of mundane technical questions. The next day the recruiter had left and another recruiter said they were looking for an architect versus a Senior Software Developer. Total waste of time for them and for me.

Interview Questions

• Provide a function to locate given string patterns.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Overall the process at Microsoft is like a well oiled machine. Call from a recruiter that finds you a fit, phone interview to screen you, one on one with the hiring manager if you are a high level candidate, then to the interview rounds. Do not be fooled by the "final rounds" interviews. This is just one day that all candidates are brought in to interview at one time. While you have been the "finalists" chosen, there is probably a 50% chance they have already chosen an internal Microsoft candidate to fill the role and they just need to fulfill their EEOC requirements. That is my honest opinion.
    They begged me to hold off an offer from another competitor company which I did while they are aligning up the team that would be interviewing.
    The day of the final rounds was nothing short of impressive.
    Sign in, go to your room and managers come to you one at a time for hour long interviews. Exhausting day, Overall, expect 7-10 meetings from the Recruiter to the final rounds to get an offer.
    My other job offer that is now frozen in an internal reorg right now.
    Microsoft chose internal candidate which I realized was the case when I met for my final round day.
    Tone was 100% different than on the phone when he was literally begging me to come in.

2. The other problem with Microsoft is that if you have one final round of interviews for one job and they refer you as a great Microsoft employee the other recruiters and HMs can see your interviewers comments from your day there which can negatively impact the next position you apply for.

I'd say overall Microsoft is lower level than most competitors I've worked for.
    Not polished or impressive overall in my opinion.
    Nicest people in the world that you would definitely want to work with, but I'd say be weary of applying for jobs at Microsoft, you have a 10% chance of getting an offer unless you're already there OR unless you have a big hookup, which I actually had but decided I wanted to get the job on my own, which didn't happen.
    What the interviewing panel did not know is that I personally know the Executive who could've made one phone call to get me the job. Instead I went after this putting my trust in the managers promises.
    In the end, I lost out on my job offer in hand (which may get unfrozen) and the job with Microsoft which would have been my number one choice.

Both jobs had terrible patches to sell in or issues that were nearly insurmountable, but I was willing to give it a shot.
    Overall despite my comments I would say this is a very positive interview process with the recruiters, schedulers and managers who show up prepared on the final rounds day.
    But Microsoft is definitely not forthcoming with visibility into an internal candidate already basically who has the job and the 80 hours you put into preparing technically for these discussions.
    Disappointing, unprofessional and a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• All the ones listed on Glass Doors, also client related and sales related questions.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of a 30 minute phone screening with HR and then a video chat with a member of the team I would be working with. Questions were centered around behavioral and experience stuff... really all cookie-cutter questions that one should be prepared for ahead of time. The interviewer was very kind and nice, and interview was more of a conversation

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me something about yourself that I can't find on your resume.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

3 interviews and another optional interview
    It was very easy for me. I passed through the 4th interview as well but did not get the offer since I did not have enough experience but they were impressed with my interview performance.

Interview Questions

• They were very basic statistical questions   2 Answers

Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn and invited for a phone screen.

The phone screen was very typical, but slightly more technical than most with a few questions about tools and and campaign/example-based examples.

When it came down to discussion of compensation at the end of the discussion, it turned out it was a contract role and that they were looking to pay half of what I was looking for--and it was also an amount far below the market rate for my skill set. I politely declined to talk further and wished them luck in their search.

Interview Questions

• Describe your level of experience with X tool.   1 Answer

Account Executive and Sales Solution Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My first round was in November, it was a phone screen. Then they reached out to me asking whether I am still interested. I replied back, they did not respond. I kept on reaching out and finally they interviewed me in Atlanta. I had interviews with five people. Two of the interviewers were women and other three were men. First woman, she said she did not know anything about Microsoft till she met Microsoft's team at National Black. She did not know basic stuff about Microsoft such as Microsoft has no sales model when she was interviewing me. She was busy checking out my LinkedIn and asking about various LinkedIn contacts during the interview. Then, the next woman who interviewed me said "I am just trying to figure out who gave you an interview. You don't have sales experience. Who is the HR? I am sorry. I didn't mean it that way." I kept on getting insulted. Three men who interviewed me were nice.
    I am disappointed with the fact that these women lacked knowledge even though it is their job and they were rude. They did not even know they didn't have sales model. I was asking everyone because none of them knew what was going on. Finally, a sales director explained how Microsoft does not have a training program or sales model.

A lot of people at my school went through same horrible process. Microsoft has a reputation at my school that it is one of the worst places to work at. I am an MBA student from one of the top 15 schools.

Interview Questions

• 1. You come to work and it is your first day. There is no one in the office expect for few interns but nobody is there to tell you what to do. What will you do?
      Recruiter was expecting me to answer, I will go home. Apparently that is what she did.
      2. What do colors in Microsoft's logo represent?
      3. What is cloud?
      4. Who is our CEO?
      5. Various sales cases
      1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I had two phone screens with data scientists currently at Microsoft. I found the questions of average difficulty but after completing all the questions in both interviews I was not brought in for an onsite. I had the feeling that specific methods for answering the questions was desired.

Interview Questions

• Discuss how to randomly select a sample from a product user population.   1 Answer