Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

3.3

517 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The recruiting team does a great job, they are very helpful and always willing to help. On the day of your interview take full advantage of your recruiters by asking about the company, background of engineers working there and what they expect out of their potential hires, although you may know a lot about the company from online sources, I would recommend asking the recruiters these questions as you will get a clear idea.

Focus on a lot of functional test cases first especially when they ask you to test the code you write, dont worry about where it is used and which application makes use of this code as you may waste time in clarifying and get lost in thoughts, as the interviewer would say, I just need functional test cases.

But remeber when they ask you to test a application or some real world about then think in a methodical fashion like Test environment, Use Cases, Functional Tests, Special Test cases like Globalization tests, integration etc.

Make sure you understand the question. Some times they may not give all the details in the question they ask, they want to see how you get the most information out of them. Dont proceed without understanding the question! and also make confirm whether you are allowed to use additional data structures or helper functions.

You may have read that you have to think aloud when you write a program, if it works for you great follow that. For some people like me, I usually get lost in thoughts if I do that, so what I did was I told the interviewer I will take 5 mins to analyse the problem and come up with the solution and I will explain it step by step. If you get stuck just dont stare at the board, tell the interviewer your logic and where you are getting stuck, as they may give you hints which are very helpful.

First round is usually is easy, they want you to get comfortable, so dont ignore programs like fibonacci, common factor, which are very basic problems. As the rounds progresses it becomes harder.Your energy levels and the thinking speed drops as you cruise through the day. Make sure you have practice working on problems for long time period(). For this just like a week before, try to setup a mock interviews with yours friends stretched out for a day packed with five 45 minutes interview with 15 min break or if your friends are busy ask your friend to randomly pick problems write them into a piece of paper and place them into 5 different files. Try to work on them the whole day. Trust me this will definitely help you. On the day before the interview please please relax and get a lot of sleep dont try to read something you dont know cause it messes up things which you know and drops your confidence levels.

Focus on String manipulation, Lists, Tree traversals, very very important topics for a microsoft interview. Learn from the mistakes other people did, trust me it will make you better a programmer. Good Luck fellow programmers!!!!

Interview Questions

• Test an Function that converts string to integer. String here can be of any length!   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Microsoft recruiter came to UW for on campus interview, I got an email telling me that I get through the first interview and would be scheduled the final interview.

Later on I got another email asking me whether I would like to switch to interview SDET position, I prefer to wait for SDE, thus I wait for another 1.5 month for the final interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

On Campus: Attended a Microsoft Information meeting. Talked with the representatives after the presentations and gave them my resume. They contacted me for an on campus interview. The interview lasted 30 minutes I was invited to interview onsite at Microsoft Redmond, Washington. That was 6 hours of interviews in one day plus dinner.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2D array of boolean values determine the largest square sub-array containing only 1s.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boulder, CO) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied on a campus recruiting event and got contacted by HR in a week. They set up a in-person interview for half an hour coding interview. I needed to write the code on a paper.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interview

Asked me a little about my resume and then they gave me a simple coding question.
    Since i was applying for the PM position we had a mock PM discussion. also not too bad they just made sure you can think on your feet.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question: How would you develop a phone for the blind.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interview

College campus interview->MSFT campus interview

Interview Questions

• Everything pretty easy and saw multiple times in interview question websites. Linked-lists, BSTs mostly   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

4 rounds of 45 minute whiteboard drills to show off coding skills; very little focus on behavioral aspect.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The hardest thing you met in a team. Inverse a integer char[].

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Once you get in contact with a Microsoft recruiter they make sure to response fast and make sure the hiring process is very clear. I knew what to expect and the recruiters are quick to respond to questions.

The first round of interviews was very basic. They then offer to fly you out and pay for everything. The interview day was pretty long but exciting and high intensity. I actually enjoyed it very much though and got to meet plenty of other candidates.

At the end of the day I met up with some people I met and we all went out to explore Seattle. We went to this amazing seafood restaurant which was delicious. Microsoft paid for everything, they really want you to have an amazing experience and sell the company to you.

I was given an offer one or two hours after my last interview which was really surprising and exciting at the same time. The recruiters really jump on you quick and are urgent / excited to hear your response. I ended up accepting the offer the next day.

In the end, it was a very pleasant and amazing experience and I'm looking very much forward to the summer!

Interview Questions

• All basic algorithm and data structure questions with some talk about design and testing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview

For final round interview in Redmond, they match you with a group/team, but I got matched with a group that was not a good fit for me. I had no interest nor experience in the division I got matched for.