Microsoft Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017
2,963 Interview Reviews

3.2

2,963 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

When I applied, I was told that I was the first and candidate of choice to initiate team activities. A typical first time hiring review is normally very detailed in demonstrating core skills.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The whole process was good. Standard Tech screening first then a technical panel interview with 4 engineers - VERY TOUGH, they grilled me!!! After the panel interview i had a face-to-face with hiring manager and another Field Engineer manager on the phone, that went well and i was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• I interviewed for a technical position so all questions were technical in regards to the technology i was going to support.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Sr. Software Engineer position in azure group and got a call within a month. The recruiter arranged for a phone interview which consisted of couple of technical questions which I answered perfectly within an hour. Everything went well from my end but to my disappointment I did not hear back neither from the recruiter nor the interviewer. I have interviewed for more than 5 times and did really good in almost all of them but no response whatsoever. I just don't get how things roll in this company! No communication or feedback, an absolute disrespect for candidates time. What kind of insecure people are interviewing candidates here? I hope the manager or a shadow person was present with the interview so as to minimize such bias. I hope this actually is taken up by the HR and good talent is not lost due to some insecure people at the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

First recruiter contacted me and asked me for availability to talk for 30 min. After that schedule d technical skype chat with senior software engineer.Started interview explaining about the team and the projects they have.Asked me to talk about what I am doing in my current company.After that started two coding question.Solved the problems but unfortunately I think they thought I have less experience.Recruiter said will be in touch with you with some other opportunities.

Interview Questions

• write a method to return the duplicate in a integer array   3 Answers
    • write a method to return six strong frequencies among group of radio stations(group is something like there is no end for that)   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was an interesting experience. The interviewers are quite smart. They will study your resume before coming into the room. I had a total of 5 rounds though I was told 3 - which is supposed to be a good sign but I got a reject and the final interview was really meaningless. My interviewer, the manager, was texting all the time while interviewing me and while I was coding on the whiteboard. That really brought me down and made me nervous which I didn't happen to be all day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

2 on the phone interviews followed by a 4 person on site interview with questions based on the position. The first interview was with HR, just basic questions on what I do now, etc. Second interview was with the manager, who asked about my current projects and tech stack as well as experience around his team's tech stack. Lots of questions about technical expertise, but not testing. In person interview involved one on one tests.

Interview Questions

• Write down how you would transform an object from World Coordinates to Object Coordinates after A Rotation and Translation has occurred in Object Coordinates.   Answer Question
    • Find the nth element in a linked list in constant time and space.   3 Answers

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

I got an interview opportunity at their campus recruiting event. The interviewer seems a little unprepared, and the conversation was a little awkward because I felt like the interviewer don't care at all and he was just doing this job so that he could get home early.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a thread and a process?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

A contingent recruiter contacted me to attend the Industry Hiring Event at then Redmond campus. After clearing the coding assessment, I flew to Redmond for my interviews. According to the recruiter, the hiring decision would be made the same day. It's been 3 weeks since then, the recruiter hasn't replied to my email asking for an update. Such recruiters are a shame to companies like Microsoft! It's their responsibility to update the candidates after the interviews and not behave like it's not their problem! I'm going ahead another offer from a well known company in the same area.
    Coming to the interviews, they were all pretty easy. 4 interviews with the managers/team leads (really really boring). I had been preparing for interviews since a month and found these rounds a lot easier than the other companies I interviewed with. Don't really know what they were trying to judge by asking such lame questions! Never expected this from Microsoft.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The process was very slow. I applied in Late September for 2 different internships at Microsoft. I got a reply back from the recruiters at around late February. It's kinda ridiculous that I had to wait almost 6 months to get a reply back, but then again... it is a large company and they do receive a lot of applicants. I had my first interview on my university campus. My entire interview process was technical question after technical question after technical question. It wasn't too difficult, but it was one of the few internship interviews I had that purely did technical questions (I had around 10 interviews this year). I ended up getting no offer due to no positions available.

Interview Questions

• Standard coding interview questions like checking if there is a loop in a singly-linked list and other string manipulation.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I took the hiring event onsite hosting by Microsoft for AI & R.
    Before interviewing with Microsoft, I already got offers from several other big companies among FLAG & UAD.

1st round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
    the AI team member looks like is an Indian, gave a question that I ever saw than know the answer. I tried to explain to him the optimized solution. He gave me several hints that turned out to be wrong (he admit it in the interview), and finally the result is NO probability because I don't take his wrong hint and stick to the right direction. That is ridiculous.

2nd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
    The AI team member looks like an Indian, gave me first question. I analyze the problem and break it down into pretty reasonable parts similar as divide and conquer. I gave her a runnable answer with Time n^2 Space 1, and evolute 4 rounds to optimize it further and further to the best solution I can get. Then she gave me second question, I provided my two runnable solutions but the interviewer ask for solution without any extra space( data structure) to use. That is tentatively make the problem harder, but finally I get the solution per her requirement.
    And finally, the result is NO for my fast problem solving and clear code and personality to get the fast and correct answer. Ridiculous!

3rd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer though not the best solution, YES

The team member looks like an Asian, gave me two questions, and I analyze the question and optimize it further and further with Time and Space Complexity until the interviewer say ok to my solution. Pretty similar progress as previous two round. The result is YES.

4th round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, best solution, YES

I am a senior software engineer with 5 years working experience, suppose this round is a system design question, but it is still a coding question.

The team member looks like a native American, gave me one question, and I analyze the question fist with pseudo code and then real code with best solution. The result is YES.

Microsoft was ever a great company with excellent reputation and branding. She was justified an interviewer fairly without politics. But now, I guess the reason I got NO from first two rounds even I perform better, is that I am not Indian (personality and culture fit). How could you imagine a candidate get two NO round, with offers from 4 big companies.
    Yes, culture fit, personality reason. Ridiculous!

My suggestions to Microsoft Hiring Event:
    1. add shadow to interviewer every round.
    2. take a picture of the coding and design result.
    3. check the performance of the candidate who got an offer from hiring event.

Interview Questions

• Good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO for culture fit.   5 Answers