Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,323 Interview Reviews

3.2

2,323 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

30 minute on-campus interview. Had very brief introductions, an algorithm question, and a couple of minutes for questions. Overall, the very short amount of time left me feeling rushed and with a bad taste in my mouth, since it was clear that the only thing that actually mattered was the single algorithms question.

Interview Questions

• Q: In an array that has one value for more than half of its elements, how can you find that value?   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had 4 interviews with Microsoft in Seattle. Each interview was 45 minutes. At the end of each interview, I was given 15 minutes to rest in between. To begin each interview we went over my resume and then went straight into a technical question on the whiteboard. Each of these tested my knowledge of algorithms and data structures.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed onsite at Seattle. Very easy questions. I got an offer after 1 day . The entire process was quick. But the offer was pretty low and the team was not ready to negotiate. Declined the offer. Please don't waste time if you are a good candidate, there are lot of companies which pay way better than MS.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find max continuous sum in array?
      2. Simple graph question   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (La Jolla, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I attended the MS 30 min on-campus interview last week. I prepared a lot of behavior questions before but it turned out that the interviewer didn't ask any behavior questions. The coding problem he asked me was to find the next larger element in a BST. He didn't even defined the BST and the function declarations for me, so I had to define it by myself.

Interview Questions

• The coding problem he asked me was to find the next larger element in a BST.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, and she set up a short phone interview. The recruiter was kind, very prompt and answered any questions I had.

I then had an online round where I had to code a problem and answer a technical solution. I had to write down the answers in the link they provided. You can't copy paste anything, and the code needs to be really good (well indented, good solution, get it as close to compilable as possible, etc) It was a medium level question on leetcode.com
    I was invited for an onsite inteview. This was a hiring event, and a lot of people were interviewed on the same day. We were all given different cubicles, and the interviewers showed up to our room. The interviews were shorter than Microsoft's standard interviews, which meant that we had to get to the solution faster. (The HR there indirectly told us the same thing, not to waste time, try to answer questions correctly as soon as possible)
    There were 4 interviews, and they were all taken by manager or Director level people. They were all very kind, and all of them mentioned that they wished they had more time. The questions were not too hard, but they were definitely not easy too. Again, they were all medium level questions (one hard level question ) on leetcode.com. You get a lot of points for asking good questions, making correct use of the hints they give you, and figuring out the bugs in your code. (This if you don't get the solution straight away).

I got a call two days later saying that I got the job, and I've accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• I've signed an NDA, so I can't really say, but I've mentioned leetcode.com twice, so that should point you in the correct direction. There are a lot of other sites too, like careercup and haccherrank.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process for Microsoft was pretty standard. I got in through the college career fair, so they had one technical interview in person at the college campus and then 4 rounds of technical interviews at Redmond. The provided with really good accommodation for the onsite interviews and also provided with a discount voucher for the Microsoft Store.

Interview Questions

• The questions were standard technical questions like linked list manipulation, string parsing and graph traversals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Diego, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

They come and host office hours at my school, and I talk to a recruiter. I tell him about what I love, especially math, and I apply online to the Explore program. I get contacted about an interview for the regular SWE position, and I'm overjoyed. They met me at a local center at my school, and asked me questions about my resume. They were super nice and I loved every part of the experience.

Interview Questions

• Reverse words in a sentence so like
      ex: to be or not to be
      return be to not or be to
      Note: I'm a freshman in college and he knows I don't know much so I got an easy question   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Chapel Hill, NC).

Interview

I received a conformation email from the company with time, location, and dress code. At the interview I was asked a few questions about personality and a single coding question.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a singly linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (El Paso, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

White board interview at local university. Reverse an integer. Looking for optimized solution and definitely no tostring type of solution. They want to hear you think out loud and are willing to help you.

Interview Questions

• Reverse an integer. Looking for optimized solution and definitely no tostring type of solution   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

4 data structure and algorithm questions. You can do it on the whiteboard. Interviewers were very friendly. I liked them in general. I recommend the company to my friends. Wish there was less politics involved.